Better options than Syntakt purely as a drum machine?

For me it was too limited as a drum machine. I prefer Digitakt or other sampling devices for drums.

2 Likes

Even Analog Heat !

7 Likes

I’m using Syntakt and Digitakt almost daily at the moment - really digging into them.

The results are that I am constantly being surprised and finding new things I love with the Syntakt, and I’m only just scratching the surface.

As a counterpoint - the more I use the digitakt, the less I like it :stuck_out_tongue: I’m missing a features I would get in an MPC or machine. I’m still going to plough on for a bit though as I still don’t understand it fully.

I’m just illustrating a point which backs up what others are saying. I’ve done so much gear swapping, and always find myself in the same struggle of not understanding my gear and the lure of other gear always hampering me from getting on with making music.

Spend a bit of time with what you have :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This is your answer. Don’t fall into the grass is greener trap because it is never ending.

16 Likes

You made the right choice. And if you like the elektron workflow stick with it make music.
First of all, I would learn the syntakt inside out, and if you can´t get some nice drumpatterns and -sounds out of it you like, it is probably you, not the machine.

On the other hand, there are so many fun machines out there.
Again and again, I´m tempted by tanzbär, alphabase, perkons, vermona…but I´m so pretty much covered with gear I have not learned to the depths and moreover financially I can´t justify to myself buying more gear atm.

2 Likes

Octatrack is a really good drum machine if you like samples.
I use one that way after owning lots of stuff. The only other I kept is tempest. But I sample that one in octatrack too.
Only downside for me is no fingerdrumming and recording multiple percussion sounds in one run like on a mpc or ar.

Imo, Digitakt will be the closest (cheaper) thing because it has 1) very broad sonic territory and 2) the same exact OS and form factor. If all you care about is drums, you don’t need deep synthesis and just load it with samples. It can however still synthesize to some degree.

1 Like

That said if you are interested in exploring its depths, then I think you should keep it. I might have bought one if I didn’t already have other Elektron boxes and I think it’s a great box for beginners or those of us who don’t already have boxes that overlap with it too much.

How???

With the Maschine and all of your soft synths, you absolutely do not need a Syntakt. Workflow is something that you get used to, no matter which instrument you are using. I have both Maschine MK3 and Syntakt. I I only bought the Syntakt as a nice to have. I like how it feels and how it sounds, but personally, I like the workflow of Maschine better. It’s so much smoother and I am way faster on it.

Hardware synths are luxuries. They are not necessities. When you choose to use them, you are only adding complexity to your system, which can take away from your creative process. Don’t get stuck in the thought that you need them in anyway to make sound.

1 Like

If you want just an analog drum machine, Arturia Drumbrute Impact is perfect. It’s one of the coolest, most fun to play drum machines I’ve ever had. You can’t beat that.

7 Likes

fm engine of the drumbrute impact is really nice

+1 to this … cheap, fun, extremely well-built and designed. You can almost overlook the afterthought-ish toms. :troll:

This probably happens a lot, we spend a grip of money on an electronic drum machine, and within a week we wonder if it was the right choice.
This is because elektronic drums machine don’t sing your personal song just yet, you MUST invest time in them. Sculpt your sounds, make tracks, get everything sitting well in the mix, then add some sauce and performance fun layer. Get your muscle memory flowing, and over the years you suddenly have your dream machine sitting right in front of you.
You made the right decision, now it’s time to make the right tracks that appeal to you.

12 Likes

Respect :pray:

Rytm

This cat reckons you did:

2 Likes

Lol, touché :laughing:

Word

Lfo exp, max drive for noise source, CC control…this example was cheating because it was sampled in OT but :

Analog Heat : Drum synthesis and sequencing

1 Like