Best way to scratch a sample in 2021?

Just wanted to let you know …just bought one of those SC1000 mk2s. Will give you feedback on usability.

Looks quite nice, right?! Not black but …well… purple is the colour of the crazy peeps :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks for pointing me to this device - better than paying thousands for a 1210 + traktor

11 Likes

Played with the SC1000 for 10 minutes - and wow - already it feels / sounds like I am a professional ready to battle DJ Qbert and even have a chance to win :joy:

Look and feel and ease of use is 11 out of 10. Super sterdy and intuitive.

If you love scratching or want to start: This is 2021 way of scratching without investing too much.

//Thread end

8 Likes

I just wish you could use it inline, too — sample a loop live, scratch over it, cut back and forth between the sample and the live track. Instabuy if from me if he ever makes a version that does that.

1 Like

That Miyajima routine is awesome!

2 Likes

If only this device could record… would order in a flash.

I asked this guy how to make one of these and he was such an asshole, i wanted my sc1000 to have a moving platter and buttons and do up my own case for it and I figured out one way to do it but it not pretty and essentially its really how you design the case and platter. You can also use his Nanofader board with an Mini innofader+some soldering battery power and aux in , main in , bass kill switch, fader cut potentiometer, speaker out. Costly but honestly its really the best grab and go pockect scratcher toy. There cool little toy but with collaborations they could be mini powered tech 1210s that you could print and not pay over 5 gs for a pair.

Why/how was he an asshole?

1 Like

Well asshole is how I personally felt but I had bought an sc1000 and I modded it with cue buttons and I wanted to constrct the moving platter and The asked him how he constructed it and also wanted to know how he modded a dj tech 101 with an SC 1000 in it and I kept asking him questions and sent pics and his response was to figure out my own problems.
I thought it was rude because I said why wont you share how made it so other people can make because theres hundreds who want to do that plus I said thats how a hobby gatekeeper is like, they wont share the info because hes either selfish, likes the attention and really how much money or buisness can someone really make doing what klauss does? Prolly not much so why the fxxx would you not share or even give some tips.
Im on disability and m blind and have very little funds so obviously this pissed me off but I realize o took a chance modding and I fucked it up and had to buy anotuer one which took me me over a year to save for. Now seeing that this topic is still going on I think its fair to say that Scratch Illuminati is still a littlle selfish bitch.
Da Klauss sheinder des tiny bitch.
I apologise for my opinion but he is a fucking dick

2 Likes

So he’s definitely of the Christmas card list lol

3 Likes

Small hobbyist producers generally do it for the enjoyment of sharing their work with others.

They are either at a neutral point or losing money unless you find your personal time worthless.

I understand why it would be nice if someone could walk you through intense step by step modification of their product but they have lives too. A purchase is not a contract, if you want to contract with him to develop an alternate product, it would be fair to pay him an actual product developer/engineer’s wages for these modifications.

ESPECIALLY if there’s nothing comparable to it on the market!

Scenarios like yours are why small developers decide to quit offering DIY products.

To the topic, there’s also Music Thing Modular – Magnetophon Module – Thonk – DIY Synthesizer Kits & Components :smiley:

1 Like

He does run a business that has nothing to do with modding DJ equipment and he‘s getting a ton of questions about his mods/prototypes so obviously he can‘t spend his free time doing tech support for everyone and doing it for free on top of it. Sucks that you had a bad encounter with him but I only have good impressions of him. When I met him the first time he was very chatty about how he built his first own portable turntable and shared all info people wanted to know. He also visited several events to present his works (including mine) and never made a secret of how he built it.

2 Likes

All this is fair enough, but this product which he’s made significant cash from was invented by a friend of mine and then made open source so that gatekeeping couldn’t happen and everyone could have it. I’m not slagging anyone off - it’s their prerogative to share the knowledge or not - just adding some additional perspective.

On a side note, I don’t have Facebook but I understand that there is a group on there which Andy (Rasteri - creator of SC1000/500) is part of. Might be that you can find your answers there.

1 Like

I‘m not aware that he sells them himself, you can order some from https://portablismgear.com/ but I don’t know if he builds the units for them or if there’s any involvement by him besides giving advice. Since I‘m not on FB anymore I‘m completely out of the loop.

anybody know what the hell is up with Dich Studios, I’ve always wanted to pick up one of theirs but Greg has been off the grid?

I mean, plainly stated in that it’s honest and offers the opportunity for Ballz71 to find the documents that explain its construction and working!

Can you link to the project repository? It sounds as if that would solve their complaints about a lack of information. Though, if the questions are “how did the open source device get installed in whatever equipment” by the implementer, we’re back to square one :stuck_out_tongue:

The GitHub is here but the issue is not about the original unit, rather it is about additional functionality added to it via an alteration (namely: the original SC1000 does not have a motorised platter, but some people have modified theirs so that theirs does)

1 Like

salesman of the year

1 Like

might dfx scrubby be a fun (and as of recently again a) contemporary solution to scratch a sample?

http://destroyfx.org/

2 Likes

This is very true, entry level controllers have come a long way, I picked up a Hercules inpulse 500 for 200 rubs from Amazon warehouse and it knocks spots of previous controllers I’ve had in the same price bracket and even some that were double the price (Roland 505) comes with serato and djuced and has and a hardware crossfader curve adjustment which is basically unheard of at that price…

1 Like