Best way to scratch a sample in 2021?

This is the setup. ec4,pc12,launchpad can route to ipads you can see. The microkey would be on 1 ipad. The nanokontrol would be on the same ipad. The ipad mini in pic dosent need key input because it will be euclidean via knob. The 3rd ipad like I say would have a nanokey where it adds effects to on an output level before input level of main session but because djplayerpro dosent show in any host. It can have have a bluetooth controller ( if djplayerpro actually has mappable delay ) Hopefully its a good way of adding a 3rd ipad. Digital deck plus another screen synth like maybe granular or apps that are used to flick a sound here or there. The other 2 ipads are to control 2 synths on each screen so will be mastering apps that are good for screen tweaking ( like hardware ) I then got midi for everything else in background ( drums, sequencing, effects etc )

Not sure if aum would use the omni deck soundcard like djplayer uses the soundcard so it might just be ipad soundcard through omni and a pseudo balanced rca cables. So not sure if its better or worse than just output from ipad headphone. With the serato vinyl there is a sound from the timecode vinyl. Might be able to use brushfi to remove any sound ( hopefully without affecting the audio ) Will post back soon just to say if this can all be setup.

Last comment ( obviously ) you hope.

The maker of omni says dvs works with the original cck. I got it to work with a cck3 so ipad/iphone has power but dosent really work. So its an unpowered i device where you can just use dvs, whilst theres still battery. Unless usb c devices recieve power etc.

Look at the above posts, I already recommended the Omni but @JOB said it was pretty crappy.

Hope I dont think so as I sold 1210s now. Im just the same at scratching as I were on a 1210 and vestax pmc 07 pro in 2000. Not that great but just seems the same to achieve crabs etc. What issue is described. Speeding up and slowing down of a deck or trying to mix with omni’s?

nice, you’ve got a lot of great clips… which model battery pack are you using?

why did you get rid of the tensor, what did you replace it with?

I was able to get a fairly convincing scratching effect using a Strymon El Capistan guitar pedal set to the fastest delay time, by manually twisting the time knob as I played back the sample from my Digitakt. Probably not very authentic, but it worked really well for what I wanted. Honestly not trying to plug my music, but anyone curious about the final result can hear it here: nebulae | Fowl Science

3 Likes

I sold it because the 1010 Blackbox was better suited to what I was doing. The Tensor was working excellently in real-time. But I wasn’t going for scratching with Tensor, but rather an ancient EBM vocals mangled vibe.

1 Like

I know it’s not ‘scratching’ but shaper box can do a fine job , I’d probably go that route and make loads of scratch samples to drop in.
It’s something I’d like to do but never invested in the gear / time. And the music I typically mix is idm/electro/techno.

Its just a basic usb battery pack similar to this -

I made the unit a little thicker and housed the battery in bottom compartment. https://youtu.be/33W1NoMLeOI

1 Like

I have the numark pt01 with serato 7" dvs vinyl and an akai amx to use with serato. I think it also works with djay on the ipad

Another option is to use a HC-TT. Record your sample to cassette, and get as playful as you like:

1 Like

I wonder what happen to the Dich Studios SC-1000ds , I really wanted to try out one of those but the guy just stopped making them??

It’s class compliant as a usb storage device for file transfer. No audio and no midi.

There are different classes of usb device that you can be compliant with.

1 Like

…news from teenage engineering…

they have an ordinary radio now to offer…looks timeless minimal odlschool and apart from beeing a truu radio, it acts also like a bluetooth speaker…and can amplifiy also every other kind of audio source via standard aux in…

and oooops…this thing can buffer ALL realtime content…and offers then the option to go back in time…slow down…speed up…reverse…in any fashion u like to handle it…
scratch it…?..yes…even that is no big deal for it’s buffer…if u can live with the fact, that manipulating audio is done by fancy knob controls on this one…

looks fancy mininmal…sounds pretty good…and is indeed, a surprisingly sexy radio and beyond box to take away and with u…

If you’re looking at a turntable or cd decks style scratch method then it takes a lot of practice to learn to scratch. I’ve spent years trying to learn and improve and even had a few lessons off a world champion turntablist. Anyone can do simple scratches a number of different ways, but i’m guessing you want it to sound professional and you’re not going to get that yourself with a turntable without learning how to do it and a lot of practice.

I think Numark have a Serato controller with some Jazzy Jeff presets, but not sure if that will do the job

The omni deck and setup I posted. I can add a 3rd idevice for setup ( not sure if bad connections ) but whats good is the omni fader dosent cut apps sound but fader is midi mappable to dj program. It just cuts the dj program. This means I get a digital decks plus apps from an idevice that then goes to a main idevice. The 3rd idevice will also be good for my setup as its going to be super expressive drones/apps and controllers. Hope it dosent break anything as it will be a cool setup.

unpowered idevice though. A ipad might last longer than an iphone. Cant afford a usbc device ( if that can retain power ) Will charge then just work my drone/aum session but just have loads of presets stored in app/apps on unpowered idevice. Its almost like none of this is real ( dreaming ) Nightmare if bad connection.

for inspirational purposes :grimacing:

2 Likes