Best synth to pair with Digitakt? If you only had one

Imho Digitakt has got very full sound, but it is according to what type of music do you like. I just recommend the Jomox MBASE 11. Anything else is just taking my time from digitakt workflow.

4 Likes

polyend medusa. but thats my answer to all ā€˜what would you like in a synthā€™ questions. mainly coz you can use it ā€˜alongsideā€™ the dt/sample it or midi the 6 voices of the polyend and sequence with the dt and cc everything real quickly having the joys and depths of modular without dodging around patch cables

2 Likes

DT has a great set of controls to make some wonderful sounding synth tones with stock samples/well selected snippets from synths too

Anyone have experience using quasimidi technox with the digitakt? Will i be able to p-lock everything from the digitakt? Seems like a great alternative since its multitimbral + im a huge fan of the 90s/early 2000 house and techno stuffā€¦

Or do you have any other recommendations on synths for the late 90s trippy/tribal/techno/house sound?

MC101 or MC707 ?

1 Like

Best synth to pair with Digitakt? If you only had one

Today my answer is Hydrasynth (Explorer). 2nd would be Micromonsta 2. I sold Digitone and Analog Four MKI.

3 Likes

In the past I had the Novation SuperNova rack synth and it sounded huge. I think some old virus B or C can make classic sound of 90/2000 too.
I remember the Supernova had every parameters in midi CC. So I guess itā€™s easily controllable then samplable in the DT.

5 Likes

Blofeld is a nice choice.

2 Likes

Awesome, seems lik a workhorseā€¦ really nice with fm too! Would be nice to know if it works p locking cc smoothly with Digitakt!

Iā€™ve looked into it, too bad thereā€™s no individual outs! But it seems amazing, really like the complex sound design you can achieve. Although iā€™ve heard thereā€™s sometimes trouble with the encoders?

Donā€™t own one, but Iā€™ve noticed this comment on blofeld encoders.

It depends on the production year as Iā€™ve heard. Mine is from 2017 and encoders are ok. The newest units have better encoders for sure.

Plocking is not smooth, it will jump to a value for a step. But it should work flawlessly.
For smoother evolving pattern, you should use LFO on a midi CC to add some more LFO to the synth.
In any case, yeah it should just work as expected, without latency.

1 Like

What I meant with smoothly was that it wasnā€™t laggy or had any latancy or that kind of stuffā€¦! :slight_smile:

1 Like

No more latency than playing with a keyboard I think. Maybe if you overload tons of midi CC it can produce some weird bugs. But if you stick to few parameters, every synth should work fine.

I think the answer is always another Digitakt?

3 Likes

for me best is erica db01, best playable/performance mono bass synt, the rest can digitakt handle

4 Likes

I have the DT/DN/ST trio. Theyā€™re typically set up all three in a row, but when preparing for a live show, I typically pick between the DT/DN pairing and the DT/ST pairing, depending on what sounds Iā€™m going for. Reasoning is, I want to keep my live performances simple, so just two Elektron boxes at a time and a Keystep.

With the DT 1.5 update, Iā€™m finding I can work a little differently, as the DT doesnā€™t necessarily have to be the driver. Time stretch and slicing lets me be more free with my BPMs on sampled content, so I can mix and match material more easily with one of the other boxes serving as master control.

So lately, the ST has been ā€œwinningā€, especially when looked at as a foundational hub for songs. The DT can serve up all the sample-based extra icing on synth-based song cakes. Until fairly recently, I would still have given the edge to the Digitone as an ā€œidealā€ Digitakt companion, but for me, thereā€™s something about the Syntakt thatā€™s really doing it for me more and more, especially when used as a song starter and the DT used as the finisher.

This is all my tl;dr way of saying that right now, Iā€™m REALLY enjoying the Syntakt as a primary companion for the Digitakt. Thereā€™s something ā€œfullā€ sounding about live synthesis and sample-base stuff combined that is hard to get with just one or the other. Itā€™s sounds especially good running the Syntakt audio into the Digitakt so that everything is going through the same DT compressor to glue it together.

As always, YMMV.

7 Likes

ST + DT is a ridiculous amount of power and excellent sound. They also couldnā€™t work any better together.

5 Likes

DT + ST for sure. 8 audio tracks plus 12 synth tracks and FX is all you need!

3 Likes