Best synth to pair with Digitakt? If you only had one

Anyone share experience digitakt midi with korg minilogue?

Roland JV 2080, 64 voices, multitimbral 16 voices, amazing sound, incredibly cheap. what to say more ?

here a demo of the 1080, sounds are similar, just the guy know how to play ;). you cant go wrong with that. and it sound a lot warmer than a blofeld or today multitimbrals.
1 Like

well yeah, but creating that library is the whole point of the device. Having a good synth to do sound design on is what this thread is about.

1 Like

I did, it is working very well, very cool to use the arpeggiator of the minilogue

1 Like

Whatā€™s to say more is that Jv 1080 can accept only 3 modulation options with midi cc
It has some great sounds though but if you want to get deeper in synthesis and modulation options Blofeld is a better option. I have both btw

1 Like

Hey that nothing compared to my beloved Bontempi ! I can make chords with one finger ! :slight_smile:

I also have a Casio VL1 !

And more seriously, even if JV 1080 / 2080 seems to sound really good, Iā€™d rather use my little QY100 for that kind of sounds (with great midi control !). :wink:

1 Like

I pair my digitakt with Virus TI2 and Digitone, a blast !

I can confirm: Digitakt/Digitone + Modor NF-1/m is a TRUE DELIGHT :heart:ļø

Iā€™ll have a Modor sound pack available soon

2 Likes

I have a few synths chained up to the Digitakt, but if Iā€™d have to keep only one to pair it up with, I would probably choose my Dreadbox Nyxā€¦such awesome spherical sounds, so interesting with that mono reverbā€¦ :slight_smile:

eurorack.

1 Like

+1
Just get Shuttle Control or similar MIDI -> CV module to unleash the beast.

Any Digitakt + Microgranny owners here? They are both on my buy list but starting to wonder if I could get ~80% of that grainy goodness with just the DT? Do you find the DTā€™s bit rate reduction gets your samples anywhere close to Microgranny sound character territory?

I second that. The midi inplementation for controling the DT is really nice.

Iā€™m looking forward for the waldorf kyra. 8 parts multitimbral so it fits the Takt perfectly. This and 128 voicesā€¦ it would replace my Blofeld eventually.

This thread is awesome!
DT and DN owner here reading this thread for a 3rd time - learning something new each time.

I use my DT and DN in the studio for laying down ideas and later recording them in the DAW for final edits. This is my workflow but I will also want to take DT + DN + one more synth to a live jam. On board effects are much appreciated as it just saves time and DT and DN effects do a good job for me.

Having said that Iā€™m looking to add an analog flavor to my DT and DN setup for $600 budget tops.

I want to use the DT as my main sequencer therefore using itā€™s 8 MIDI tracks and also sending MIDI CC and automating it per step and adding LFOs

What I lack is analogue tone for bass/leads. Iā€™m using DNā€™s FM for pads, SFX etc. trickling sounds.

Iā€™m thinking a Minitaur for $300-400 for itā€™s filter, one knob per function, midi cc and mostly the portability and form factor. My second option is a Minilogue XD ($600) for polyphony but still not multi-timbral? 2 Analogue VCOs and 1 DCO also the onboard effects.

Iā€™m thinking the Minitaur is the simpler choice also limited but portable. Miniloguexd is more flexible, not so portable but has effects. I donā€™t need effects for Minitaur bass but Iā€™ll need them for leads.

After all reading these are the contenders in my head. Any thoughts and advice?

Iā€™m making percussive electronic music that focuses on low end and micro FM sounds in the upper range. Straight/broken beat doesnā€™t matter. I managed to get good bass out of DT single cycle waves.

Will Minitaur be a great improvement from DT single cycle capabilities? On the other hand polyphony and effects with Miniloguexd. Iā€™m torn between limiting myself with Minitaur compared to Miniloguexd. Limitation usually makes me more creative.

Help will be much appreciated!
:pray:

I have a digitakt i used with both a minitaur (which i upgraded to a grandmother) and an original minilogue (which i sold)

Especially considiring you already have a digitone for doing pads/chords etc, iā€™d say go for a minitaur. It sounds awesome, and is very simple and intuitive to use in combination with the dt, you can sequence it via midi, sample it onto an audio track and sequence/sample another layer. Even though its note range is limited, its great for mid range lead sounds as well.

The minilogue is cool, especially for its price, but playing it never really gave me the ā€˜wow, so this is what an analogue synth can sound likeā€™ feeling as the minitaur certainly does. The minitaur sounds warm and full, compared to the kind of bland minilogue, which is if course poly and way more versatile than the minitaur.

2 Likes

Minitaur is a bit too limited for its price, you can get more synth for less money (something like Behringerā€™s Model D or Neutron, for example)

A used Analog Four would be a good choice too.

1 Like

The latest firmware solved my blofeld desktop encoders problem - now no skipping. Try that before tearing it apart

Youā€™re really helping balance the angels and demons in my head!

Iā€™m also expecting the minilogue to deliver less on the analogue richness and goodness that Minitaur is known for.

Iā€™m a sucker for premium build quality so Moog is a winner here. I kinda prefer a single trick pony than a jack of all trades, master of none situationā€¦

Is the lack of PWM on Minitaur really a big problem? Also there wonā€™t be an arpegiator between my DT and Moog but possibly 4 MIDI tracks sending CC and 4 LFOs to Minitaur.

Did you ever manage to get the Minitaur ā€œoverloadedā€ with Midi CC signals?

PS: Happy to see this thread picking up again
PS2: ESS from Elektron is working on a single cycle waveforms designer that can turn the DT in one hell of a synth.

EDIT: Is the Minitaur good for electro leads or SH-01a or SE-02 beat it?

1 Like

Yes youā€™re right more synth for less money can be obtained but Iā€™ve focused on using MIDI CC so the Boog Model D is not an option, also the Dreadbox Erebus 3 doesnā€™t CC. Only the Neutron does but Iā€™m hesitant there.

My real mono contenders are Minitaur, Se-02 and SH-01a.

How about Vermona mono lancet, any thoughts?

EDIT: Which one will be best for electro leads / funky bass SH-01a, SE-02, Minitaur or Mono Lancet?