Best synth to pair with Digitakt? If you only had one

I rewatched a bunch of No Coast vids recently and it really caught my ear this time round. Sample fodder if ever I heard it, good choice!

Iā€™m using mine with 0-coast. Here you can have some taste of this. You can see at the beginning how Digitakt controls 0-coast LPG section with LFO.

2 Likes

+1 for Digitone.

I have a Blofeld for sale which works perfectly - no knob issues - if anyone is interested!

So the MK is not MIDI compatible with Digitakt? Maybe Minilogue more compatible?

Check MK midi control change page 56

So midi control seems ok.
I donā€™t regret that synth at all, poor keys, poor polyphony, not a great sound.

1 Like

It should be MIDI compatible for the most part. I just meant some of the more advanced parameters canā€™t be changed via MIDI, at least not that I could figure out. For example, changing the MOD Matrix (like, which LFO/envelope is affecting which synth parameter), voice options like whether the synth is in unison/legato/poly etc. And I think some of the ARP settings but I forget.

Those shouldnā€™t be a show-stopper at all for most people but I just wanted to point it out in case you want to have ā€œfull access to everythingā€ on the MK from the Digitakt, there will be some limitations. Aside from that, all the typical synth programming parameters CAN be accessed, thereā€™s still plenty to work with!

EDIT: Also just want to say I have not personally use the MK with the Digitakt. At the time I had the MK, I was attempting to create a Pure Data patch to control every single parameter on the MK so thatā€™s the only reason I have a little familiarity with the MIDI side of it.

2 Likes

should i expect that the digitaktā€™s re-trig sequencing ability would work on most synths I hook up to it with MIDI? Say, something like a monologue?

There is no midi retrig on the digitakt.

2 Likes

ahh ok, thanks.

500u of eurorack.

I would say the obvious answer is the Digitone.

However, right now, Iā€™m using just the Digitakt and Prophet Rev2, and I have to say the combination is working out very well. Iā€™ve also got some modular gear, but I use it completely separately. Iā€™ll probably grab another Digitone sometime in the future, as that combo just made so much sense. I only sold it, so I could jump on a good deal for the Rev2, then reacquire one later.

Iā€™ve had my digitakt for a bout a year and I have to say the monomachine is still a great companion for it. Both for sequencing with the dt and sampling into the dt.

3 Likes

The question is a little open-ended IMO, but based on use, my vote would be for the MicroMonsta (even though the MIDI ports are upside down :wink: )

The firmware gets regular updates, it takes up very little space, it sounds great and you get goodies in the box!

1 Like

I think Waldorf also puts there MIDI ports in upside down. :smiley:

I always feel like having the indent on top is upside down. Even the cables I have, have their brand logo on the opposite side of the indent, which to me indicates the indent is the backside/bottom side. The MicroMonsta feels correct to me, everyone else has it wrong!

Moog, Arturia, Behringer, Lexicon, Presonus, and Elektron would differ then :wink:

The Monsta is very cool though.

1 Like

The next time I build a synth that uses a 5 pin DIN for MIDI, Iā€™m going to put the indent to the right side. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

As long as itā€™s not on the wrong side hehe.

1 Like

The more I read this thread, and the more I use my Digitakt, I think the best companion to the DT is a big library of already prepared samples. Then again, I havenā€™t done much sampling with the DT itself, so maybe Iā€™m missing out. However, to my point, I recently turned a clav sound into something that resembles a 303. Iā€™m new to samplers in general, but this ability to transform sounds with the onboard controls blows me away. In my opinion, my favorite partner with the DT is the Analog Heat! Just let it cook!

5 Likes