Best synth for dub chords (dub techno)

Thanks for the suggestions, I decided to go with Dreadbox Nymphes with some external reverb and delay. And Digitone included in setup :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I win!! What’s my prize?

3 Likes

You win a melodica.

2 Likes

Awesome! I hear there’s a melodica band starting…

Indeed, a sextet featuring guest soloist @Scot_Solida on medieval clarinet.

3 Likes

Forget the GAS, join us and push your actual gear to the limit, with Sound locks and other plocks…

3 Likes

I am increasing your karma :mage:

1 Like

Can confirm microfreak + ms70cdr can make some nice Dub chord stabs. I’m liking wavetable 7. Haven’t got v4.0 yet.

FWIW the analog four is my go to for dub chords even though I have a Pro 2, Minilouge, Virus TI polar and a bunch of other stuff. I made a bunch of dub chord patches on my A4 just because it sounds so good, the bonus is that I can do things like modulate then delay per step.
Obviously the A4 can do a hell of a lot more and I can (and do) certainly get dub chords from any of my poly or paraphinic synths but there’s something both warm and dark about the ones I’ve made on the A4.

5 Likes

Just curious about whether anyone is using the Waldorf M for dubby techy styles, not just stabby chords, and how they’re finding it.

2 Likes

I made a kind of dub techno thing with mostly M for the melodics. Opsix on bassline duties.
Not sure if they count as propper dub chords though.

7 Likes

I just added an A4 MKII to my setup and would love a couple tips for dub chords, if you’re willing!

1 Like

If you haven’t seen this…

7 Likes

I’d be happy to! As soon as I have a few minutes to get into the studio some time in the next day or two, I’ll do a short video on how I make my main dub chord patch, I have one patch that is sort of a jumping off point for any dub chords I do on the A4 so I’ll record how I make it, if I remember it’s a pretty straightforward patch so it shouldn’t take long to recreate it in a video. I’ll reply to this post when I do it

Nice primer! I’ll use this as a jumping off point for now. I might use the second filter in bandpass mode with a slow LFO moving it around. Lots to explore but I always forget how simple the basics are for dub chords.

Looking forward to it, thanks! Trying to reach ninja status with the A4 but I’m still a lowly yellow belt. Thankfully I have a couple decades of synthesis experience so I think its just learning the features and gaining muscle memory.

2 Likes

So what makes Zen Delay a perfect dub chords companion? I have one, but don’t find it any more dubby than other delays. Are you referring to the playability of the unit?

I haven’t yet, but will be! Just haven’t had nearly enough time in the studio lately.

1 Like

I can’t say that it’s the ‘perfect’ companion… I have a bit of a delay obsession, so I’m always chasing the unobtainable, but that said, it’s really good. A combination of (IMO) two things: the playability and the filter (particularly the bandpass). You can get this near infinite yet not too overdriven feedback that with a good reverb is just bliss. It begs you to experiment and play.

One thing that I think was a miss and would really have sent it next level would have been an assignable LFO. Being able to automate things like filter cutoff, feedback or resonance would be insane. I get the concept and they wanted you to ‘play’ it, but some automation in addition to two hands or operating other gear would have been incredible.

Short of that, I really don’t have a much to complain about. The overall sound is fantastic overall.

1 Like

That, and the wide feedback sweet spot, and the mix of delay, filter and drive.

1 Like

This sounds amazing. Any change of sharing the project files for some reverse engineering? :grin: