Best quick noodling device as an alternative to a phone?

I missed a great job opportunity 16-17 years ago because I didn’t see the email in time, since then I always keep notifications for important stuff on (except when it’s time to sleep) and unsubscribe or at least disable notifications for things I don’t care for. I find it really helpful.

I more recently-ish modded my old GBC to have a nice new screen and did a clean sound mod to it, and got an everdrive… LSDJ and some of the sound toy like apps are really fun and the nanoloops. Granted I never really understood LSDJ before l learned the M8 which has tool tips that make it quite a bit easier and mostly transfers back to LSDJ. Great for a musical toy or relaxed pattern making out at a cabin.

M8 + eurorack is my main composition tools these days so I guess maybe oddly doesn’t feel as fun to drag then M8 out with me. Plus some rechargeable batteries with the GBC will last me days with out having to plug anything in.

11 Likes

Is that some kind of patchbay?

12 Likes

Everyone’s always trying to quick noodle. Maybe we should all be trying to slow noodle? Just noodle at your own pace.

1 Like
6 Likes

That’s very groovy!

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

Why don’t we revive this topic?
Have there been new contenders since June last year?
I am currently eyeing woovebox, although it seems to be out of stock.

Roland S-1 was just out with the last burst of activity on this thread, but was not mentioned, for some reason.

2 Likes

Teenage engineering po133 ko2 is really nice, the battery life is just awesome.

4 Likes

Keep eyeing it! This little box is something else, it sparks so many ideas. It has become my go-to device.

Literally just ordered a used OP-Z specifically looking for a device with no screen (the app is optional afaik). I was looking for something I could use on the couch or in bed and then still have the option of plugging back into the main setup. I can report back :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Since creating this thread I’ve tried a few of the suggested options.

The model Cycles is ok but annoying that it requires external power ( they need to do a v2 if they can’t resolve the power handle issue) and everything has that characteristic sound.

The T-8 is very impressive for the size but almost too small and very limited in sound to the degree where everything is a variation on a theme. I also have an S-1 but one synth track isn’t enough and combining it with another device with wires is too fiddly for portable use.

The next things I’d like to look at are the KOII and the Seqtrak as they both seem to fit the brief well.

1 Like

That was my thinking too. It’s a very portable synth, not really a useful sketchpad. You need at least 3-4 tracks for that.

I get they said no iPad but just turn off the WiFi. I had a mini and with Groove Rider GR-16 I used to knock out little loops on the train on the way to work that became tracks later. Or make patches on Moog Model 15. Now I use it for sound design in AUM and sample the results into Neon to import into my desktop synths.

2 Likes

1010music nanobox devices (currently lemondrop, fireball, razzmatazz, tangerine) fulfill all of the criteria nicely and at a fair price.

2 Likes

It’s a tricky category for sure. The Circuits are nice but can’t really hook into a computer based workflow for further development without loads of faffing about. In my mind, in a category where you have the circuits at circa £300 and the M8 at around £600-ish, the OG Polyend Play looks interesting at its new price (currently £433 on Thomann.) It’s a bit more than a Circuit admittedly, but you get all the generative goodies that you get with a Polyend device, plus it’s a bit more capable in the MIDI department. Plus export is a drag & drop job. Feels like of the options out there, this one sits in something of a sweet spot. Not sure why they seem not to have dropped the price of the OG tracker as that is a very sweet noodling piece of gear also.