Best quick noodling device as an alternative to a phone?

not to beat a dead horse but m8 headless on a teensy with an RG351v is very doable. im pretty sure someone just did it in the M8 thread on here. thats about a -$150 price tag. i already have an m8 but i have an RG351v for GBA roms and im thinking of getting a teensy just to give it a shot myself

1 Like

I would cosign the Circuit Rhythm. The biggest problem with it for what you want to do is that you can’t just import samples from the SD card. It uses the same kind of pack system that the Tracks uses. So if you’re messing around and decide you want to add a certain drum break you like or something but it’s not already in your pack then you need to either sample it or hook your Rhythm up to a computer. I really dislike that aspect of it. And this is probably the biggest reason that I tend to just use Koala if I want to mess around with stuff on the couch.

But other than that it’s pretty dang cool. The last update added fixed length recording so you can really easily make little loops, resample them, chop those up, rinse and repeat. It’s a good time.

Also the pattern, scene, project system it has is interesting. You can do things like direct jumps between projects. So you can have multiple versions of a beat going and jump between them just by hitting the pad. It’s not something that I would use in an actual performance since there’s sometimes little gaps in the audio or a sample won’t get triggered if your timing is slightly off. But it’s a lot of fun.

But personally, like I was saying, I tend to just use Koala on my phone. At least when it works. My phone sometimes decides it doesn’t want to open it.

3 Likes

Maybe an odd suggestion, but used Yamaha QY70s/QY100s are still relatively cheap and hit all your key points.

6 Likes

I’m not really even sure. I love the effects (I use it as a master fx box mostly with my MPC) but after a while I realised I’m using them a little too much!

It’s a fantastic sampler, sounds great and has a really easy workflow. However I don’t like chopping samples on it compared to the MPC.

Also-(and I’m prob just spoilt by the MPC/Force/Maschine workflows), but the SP feels slow to build a beat on - to me at least. I’ve seen people do amazing stuff but I’m struggling to get my head around it.

It’s a device I think you need to invest time in and get into its workflow ‘quirks’-but for me whenever I have time i tend to gravitate to the MPC.

The reason I have kept it so far is that I do like the immediate effects, and it’s great for travelling as it’s portable-but thinking the Circuit Rhythm could hit those boxes for me and have a ‘quicker’ (for me) way workflow.

2 Likes

Cheers

I’m going to buy it for the fx to use with Octatrack then the sampler and making beats will be a bonus.

Not sure of a similar fx box for similar price

2 Likes

iPad and self-discipline. If you’re phone is your go-to internet device, approach the iPad as your portable music noodling device. Nothing else a similar size provides anywhere close to such sonic possibilities.

5 Likes

You can get a little of that with motion record on the pcm speed, but yeah, it’s a weakness

I got given an Ipad and I literally never use it.

I don’t find it an interesting device to make music on and I would just go on the internet so I might as well use Koala on the phone.

1 Like

I’ve had an op-z for a few months and my syntakt is in a drawer
It’s limited but sequencer is amazing and if you dump your own samples in you have choice of samples or synthesis
Or the mike is so good you can just sample from your speakers or even laptop no messing around with line in
Genuinely pocket sized
When they release a field version I will sell something and buy it immediately
And I’m an elektron fanboy had most machines at one time

5 Likes

Something to do with a horse comes to mind.

Or use a focus mode to hide any non-music apps

It has a smashed screen and was sitting in a drawer so someone gave it to me.

I can honestly say I enjoy it less than either a laptop or groove box.

I don’t even use it for web browsing. I think it’s been in my bedside drawer out of batteries for about a year.

1010music Nanobox Razzmatazz

You don’t have to only sequence drums. You can get creative with it and make it play up to 30 second samples which can be mangled with internal FX. You can also use a couple pads for notes to make basic melodies or basslines. Coupled with a USB battery, it makes for a handy portable noodling device.

1 Like

I’d probably get something like the Nunomo Qun, though I’m always suspicious of how useful most of things can actually be for how I’d like to make music. I think I’d almost be better off with a looper+delay pedal and a mic or synth input to them or something like that.

Liven lofi 12 could work.

2 Likes

Ooo great suggestion. I know a musician who uses that as her primary and often only instruments. Her stuff is amazing.

2 Likes

I think nanoloop is hard to beat. I only have experience with the original version though. Nanoloop 1.0 cart in a dmg.

1 Like

If you find you can adapt to phone or iPad (perhaps using focus mode as suggested above) then ableton note comes into the picture. No step sequencing at present though, just live record.

I agree. It’s one of those devices that are both fun and deep. It gets more use than all my other gear combined.

Was going to suggest the QY10. Disclaimer: I also own a QY100 and SU10.

Disadvantage with QY10 vs. QY100: QY10 encourages also carrying the manual around with it :slight_smile:

1 Like