Best Prophet Rev2 editor?

Hello beautiful people,

I have a rev 2 and was looking into software editors to open up possibilities and learn more about synthesis.

These are the options I think:

• Soundtower rev2 editor (standalone)
  • Soundtower rev2 plugSE (plugin)
  • Codeknobs editor
  • Codeknobs multi mode editor
  • Rev2 Degrader

I only have funds for one, but which one?

From the info I gathered soundtower and codeknobs seem to do the same thing, but I think soundtower plugin would be the most complete.
Degrader offers different opportunities though…

To all the rev2 owners out there, did you buy an editor? If so, which one and why?

Thanks

I use this. There’s some things about it that are redundant, but it works.

Just asking because I am curious: Why do you buy a hardware synth to control it with a computer plugin that looks terrible and costs 2/3 as much as Repro-5?

2 Likes

Well I didn’t buy the rev2 to control it with the plugin, I have been fine so far without it.
I just thought that the editor could make exploring and learning more immediate.
Also, I am looking for something that would quickly change, randomise, modulate all parameters at once, a bit like that rytm app for ipad, forgot the name now.
Editing the gated sequencer on the synth is a bit of a pain.

Because I can.
It’s just a glorified librarian, and makes it a bit easier to reverse engineer stuff. Patch Morphing functionality was fun for a while.

1 Like

Yeh. I don’t bother trying it at all without soundtower. Why waste an hour when you can waste a few minutes.

Because naming patches using the tiny screen and two knobs is a massive, headache inducing, pain in the arse :grin:

3 Likes

I have code knobs and its a little frustrating.
I would like to know if soundtower is easier than code knobs and has it direct midi connection in order to contact the synth just from the plugin?
I want to use its keyboard as a main midi controller for my DAW, but modifing knobs direct from my synth.

Is there an easy solution to transfer patches to different banks/slots via PC/Mac without paying for Soundtower or other programs?

I recently bought the desktop module and sold my keyboard model. I transferred some patches from the keyboard model to my Mac via SysEx librarian. I bought the desktop unit used and it has surprisingly many good patches. So instead of wiping whole user banks, I would like to reorganize all of the previous owners patches which I like into one user bank and all of mine into another. SysEx librarian only gives me the option to dump whole banks or individual patches, or am I missing something? Saving to different slots on the synth itself is of course also pita …

I went through some different ones before settling on Codeknobs’ as being the best one.

It’s paid, but worth it for the integration it gives, especially in DAW’s where you can then automate/modulate anything you want to;
https://codeknobs.com/products.php?id=6

Thanks, but I have no interest in using the Rev2 in a DAW or editing sounds on my Mac. I just want to save time when copying presets from one slot to another. I read your reply as there is no solution to do that which doesn’t involve buying a program?

Ah ok, as you mentioned Mac and Soundtower I didn’t realise you only wanted to rearrange patches… I’m not sure tbh, sounds like something a decent Sysex app should do, but might be one of those things you have to do manually.

Synthet (Codeknobs editor I mentioned) can do what you want, but obvs is paid and overkill for your needs.

1 Like

Have you tried KnobKraft? I feel like it does what you want and is free.

1 Like

This is pretty decent for patch management. ÂŁ7 a year for full use.