Best portable setup for small apartment

TR-6S and MC-101, plus a small mixer.

Octatrack (it’s also a mixer) + microfreak (general synth) + Norns shield (fx, sampler, synth, anything really) and a cluster of 2 or 3 power banks.

EDITED - or micromonsta2 instead of microfreak

1 Like

You will possibly regret the Octatrack sale, keep it. I can also recommend the MPC One - its small footprint - and sampling is easy.

1 Like

MPC Live II, Force or Digitakt.
Small footprint, tons of possibilities.

The Force is not so small, but it would be my best choice, super easy to go from loop to finished track.
Maschine + seems good too, but I have no experiennce.

Ableton + max for live + a4

My core setup that I use daily is fairly minimal, but full-featured, at least to me. Perhaps you’ll get some ideas from it.

Digitakt
Digitone
MicroMonsta 2
Circuit Mono Station

This all goes into a little Mackie ProFX4V2 mixer.

I also have an Arturia Keystep, an Akai MPD226 and a Novation 49 key controller, each of which gets used for different situations.

Also, have you considered an iPad, plus an external USB control surface like one of the ones mentioned above? I’m a big fan of apps like Drambo paired with, say, my MPD226.

All that being said, if you DO love your OT, are you going to regret swapping all that power for something else?

For a small and portable setup for electronica, I’d be inclined to go with the Digitone and a Polyend Tracker. You can get both for about a grand, cheaper if second hand and the tracker can be battery powered. There are battery solutions for the Digitone too, but there might be a few reliability issues, don’t know, haven’t personally tried it.
Also, you won’t need a mixer, as the Digitone works brilliantly as one.

Octatrack is not already a small setup by itself ?

8 Likes

Armk2 and iPad. Amazingly flexible setup, almost unlimited potential. Analog drums and dvco; iPad for FX and synths (drambo), all piped to AR master outs via usb. Can compose, record, mix in this setup, with access to some of the most innovative FX and synths (iOS).

Can be if filled wirh nice samples of your choice

If you enjoy the workflow, the OP-Z cant really be beat when it comes to punch per square cm. But its one of those devices where you either love it despise it’s flaws or hate it because of them…

What it is though is an extremely powerful sequencer.

Polyend tracker is a solid choice as well!

Keep your Octa , its everything you need for this. If you want a synth go along side , get a digitone. If you want something quirky and fun , get the Monome Norns norns - docs

3 Likes

Considered a Deluge? It’s battery powered and does synths, sampling and sequencing. Haven’t used one myself but I have a friend who hated the OT and now loves his Deluge.

2 Likes

…most slimmed down set up i can imagine…

a mpc to host and sample whatever…
cause once u dive in, u’ll soon about to realise, this offers the only option to finish stuff for real, even without a computer…

a cycles to have also access to the other big hardware sequencing concept out there and for it’s truuly electronica vibe…

a mic to catch whatever u wanna catch…

a proper head phone to free ur mind, no matter what…

Ipad and a controller

My current answer is using the Digitone as mixer/sequencer/interface with max 2 devices: Obsession: what 2 devices to plug into Digitone L and R?

Digitone and a SP-404 is a fun little setup.

2 Likes

I think when the person arrives to buy the octatrack, you should immediately buy it back from them. It will be an early octatrack lesson for the buyer/seller :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That’s a wise decision. The Octatrack takes time to settle into. There is so many ways you can go with it that can cause indecision. Map out a plan on what you want from your OT and stick with it for a while. There’s plenty Elektronauts here that are more than willing to help you along the way.

1 Like

yeah I think we need a better idea of what the OP’s current setup is to see what best to scale down to.