Best Polysynths you can buy right now?

had the ob6, sold it bought prophet 6
soo glad i did

2 Likes

Mutable Ambika is so under rated imo.
I paid someone to build mine with a metal case.
The GUI remind me of my sq80.
Digital OSCs but sounds warmer than the A4.

5 Likes

I have an OB-6 and love it. Such a rewarding synthā€¦
But since I listened to @plusn awesome AS-1 demo bellow, I have to say that I would love to put my hands on a Prophet 6.

1 Like

Think about what do you need, what brand/company workflow you like the most and what suits your style.
I have
Sequential Prophet Rev 2, Prophet 6 [desktop] and OB 6[dekstop]
Novation Peak
I think I really dont need any more polys in my arsenal.
I have Korg Minilogue, but really I dont count that same level as stuff mentioned above.
Thing is, I could probably loose OB6 and Peak and still be good, investing in mono stuff like Pro 3 or modular.
However I am extremely interested in Quantum and Iridium.

1 Like

Yeah, the ob6 makes some beautiful sounds, guess I didā€™nt realise the sound I was really looking for until i got the prophet 6.
I found the ob6 a little too raspy sounding in the end.

If I didnā€™t already have my Korg M3 and Expressive E Osmose (actually still on preorder but I consider it as mine already)ā€¦

Iā€™d probably go for a combo of Prophet 6 and Hydrasynth. Iā€™ve heard and played with the former, so I know how good it sounds as an analog synth. However, analog synths are not good at everything (imo), so the latter would cover all the sonic territory that analog synths arenā€™t good at (imo), although the analog emulation patches Iā€™ve heard it do sound decent enough to me.

2 Likes

this is why I think itā€™s important to have the OB6 in addition to other synths, not as your one and only. it can fit in that mid-range area of the mix really well, because of the filter.

I think my pics would include OB6, REV2 and Digitone. if pressed which to get firstā€¦ either REV2 or Digitone. theyā€™re both very versatile.

oddly, I think Iā€™m least excited by the Moog One. Iā€™ve just never heard any sounds from it that blew me away.

1 Like

Wait, i added an OB-6ā€¦ currently exploring that one too. :grin:

1 Like

the most misunderstanding of a4 was point it side by side to things like ob6态pro5态nord leadā€¦and all thoses massive voice poly
a4 first be born as a four track mono synth workhorseļ¼Œupgrade to use all four voice for any one track does not mean a4 was poly at firstļ¼Œif you read carefullyļ¼Œfour voice analog synthesizer was elektron own wordļ¼ˆ8 voice digital poly synthesizer for digitoneļ¼‰ļ¼Œit is at best on 4 x mono than use as one polyļ¼Œby the wayļ¼Œ4 voice is not enough for massive poly texture

the best poly is about tune system and harmony of voiceļ¼Œļ¼ˆpro 5ļ¼Œpro 6ļ¼Œob6ļ¼Œdave smith do things on tune sys for harmony of each voiceļ¼‰
the best mono is aboutļ¼š1ļ¼‰pure creamy overload sound ļ¼ˆminimoogļ¼‰2ļ¼‰ crazy modulation and sound shaping abilityļ¼ˆpro2态pro3ļ¼Œall modular semi modularļ¼‰
think careful about which kind a4 isļ¼

3 Likes

the micromonsta is a cheap polysynth and small.

2 Likes

I did the Moog factory tour in Asheville and got to spend some time afterwards with the One, and that is exactly how I felt. Looks awesome with great specs but sounded uninspiring. I think my Alpha Juno sounds better for 1/10th the price.

4 Likes

Prophet 12 is underrated and should be part of this. 12 voices, bitimbral and does linear fm. Editing the module is actually very easy even though its not remotely one knob per function.

Downsides are the synth engine + filters can easily get into a broken sounding territory. Especially because the Curtis filters arenā€™t that amazing (but still usable for sure). But that ā€œbrokennessā€ can be avoided with careful patch building (and a broken sound can be good :P). Its not the fattest sounding on its own but it sits very well in a mix.

5 Likes

Good points. 4 voices is a bit limited. A4 does sit on a strange category, while leaning more towards a mono synth, is more than that.

Do you think Elektron have a Flagship machine. Is it Octtrack?

Thanks

Imo, no, Elektron does not make one do-it-all machine. Each and every Elektron product has its specialty.

a4 is the flagship of elektronļ¼

1 Like

great thread! for me right now itā€™s between the Iridium and the Kodamo EssenceFM.

Iā€™ve owned an OB-6 desktop version for a few years now and itā€™s definitely my favorite 6 voice analog powerhouse!

As far as something likeā€¦ pristine, digital, super multi-timbral, i donā€™t really have one.
those 2 seem right up that alley. especially the EssenceFM.

1 Like

Best:

1. Prophet 6
  2. Prologue 16
  3. Iridium

Best for the cash

• Micromonsta
  • PreenFM2
  • Deepmind 6/12/12d
3 Likes

Iā€™m with GovernorSilver on this, but if i accept your premise then that makes the Analog Keys an even larger boat, and they scuttled her. And so then the Overbridge is the command ship for the fleet.

Should Elektron (as she sails the seas) make her (meaning the Overbridge) a hardware vessel, kinda like how Native Instruments is turning Maschine+ into hardware ?

1 Like

Some pretty big omissions in this thread IMO. Best to me would be:

Black Corp Deckardā€™s Dream
Modal 002
Black Corp Kijimi
Abstrakt VS-1 (coming soon)

5 Likes

The thing I like best about the OB6 is I can tweak the crap out of it and always be in a sweet spot. Itā€™s perfect for live performance tweaking.

4 Likes