Best Polysynths you can buy right now?

Waldorf Quantum in my opinion.

A bit unknown but the C15 from https://www.nonlinear-labs.de/product/c15.html seems also like a digital poly beast!

2 Likes

Twice

Sorry mate, you’re right, I got carried away… I’ll trade the JD990 for the REV2, stop the clock!

1 Like

I second the Waldorf Blofeld if you are into great sound for a small budget at the cost of a buggy and crappy OS.

Streichfett is btw an amazing polysynth … but too much of a one trick pony I suppose …

1 Like

Ok…here we go:

6 Likes

APB (All Points Bulletin): Add to the list the Arturia PolyBrute. Lots to recommend in this 6 voice analog polysynth, with wide variety of innovative and musical controls and features.

1 Like

So many great ones listed. I’m still over the moon for my Kodamo EssenceFM and the Iridium is on ‘the list.’ My only analog stuff is monos like Cwejman and Verbos

1 Like

Yes, Digitone and Prophet anytime.

2 Likes

Obviously PROPHET 10 as ultimate subtractive analogue poly.

In that group goes Peak/Summit not (100% analogue), Moog One, Polibrute, REV2, OB6
A4, Vermona Perfourmer would be another group of analogue stuff.

FM:
Digitone/OP6

Wavetable/digital/Hybrid:
Iridium, Hydrasynth, Wavestate, Prophet 12

Sample/digital
Prophet X, Wavestate

2 Likes

P6 or OB6 are still tough to beat. Not sure i’d take any new analog poly over either.

5 Likes

I think my current best poly list goes Waldorf M, Prophet X, Prophet 10, all the black corp stuff, Udo Super 6, Waldorf Quantum. I suppose Moog one is worthy of mention but for whatever reason it never grabbed me like the others. Way to expensive to own them all but picking the one you like most is maybe reasonable.

1 Like
9 Likes

My post from a year ago makes me chuckle.

That was months before I got to try Prophet 5 (Rev4) in the same room as Moog One and Prophet 6.

Ignorance was bliss

1 Like

Deciphering this rather complexly intertwined logic, are you saying the Moog One sounds better to you than the Prophet 6 and latest Prophet 5? I’m asking because if the One ever gets MPE, I’d seriously consider getting it without being able to try one out first.

This has to be split into two categories
Best Technically
Best Sounding

Best Technically id say Moog One followed by the Polybrute and Iridium(Quantum)

Best Sounding id say Prophet 5/10, Vermona Perfourmer Mk2 and in the Moog camp the Mother 32.

1 Like

I have Prophet 6 and Prophet 12 desktops, a Prophet X and an Analog Four.

Prophet 6 is pure analog bliss, one giant sweet spot and so easy/intuitive to use.

Prophet 12 is a lot deeper, fulfills all my needs for digital, has a lot of character and can also sound analog. Definitely gives me sounds that I cannot get ITB. Has a narrower sweet spot, but everything is so well laid out for deep sound design. For me the P6 and P12 are a match made in heaven.

I was a bit underwhelmed at first by the sound of the Prophet X and to me it seemed to have less character than the Prophet 12. However, I’ve been spending more time with it recently and loving it. With a bit of work the synth engine can sound very nice and analog, and with sampled sounds layered with the oscillators I’m getting very unique sounds. A few nights ago I was wondering if I’d bought the right synth, but after working on a patch I completely changed my mind. It just fills a gap.

Love the Analog Four. Don’t know why people complain that it doesn’t sound as good as other analog synths. I prefer the tone of the Prophet 6, but the Analog Four sounds very analog in a way that gives me something different, so I don’t find myself comparing it to anything. It can go very deep and the sum is way more than its parts. I also find it great for getting a track going without any other gear.

Overall, my 2 favourites are the Prophet 6 and Prophet 12, and I think just these 2 and a good monosynth could easily fulfill all of my synth needs.

Mind you, sometimes when I use the Analog Four, I wonder why I need any other synths at all!

6 Likes

I recently bought an Udo Super 6, choosing it over the Summit and Polybrute, mainly to avoid menus. My reasons were the direct user interface and luxurious, classy sound. I like to sit down, hit the Manual button and play, just as I have done on synths for a thousand years (it sometimes feels). I’m absolutely delighted with the Udo, which is incredibly inspiring to interact with - sorta like a Jupiter 6 with some DW-8000 digital waves thrown in.
At some point my Osmose will arrive, which I probably won’t program in much detail due to the yawny computer angle; instead I’ll have to brush up my keyboard skills. Exciting times!

5 Likes

I have the Hydrasynth and the Novation Summit and they work and sound great together. I have an Osmose on order which will hopefully offer a nice MPE control option.

2 Likes

Lol, no.

My Sep. 2020 post shows how ignorant I was. I can laugh at my own silly statements.

March 2021 was when I tried P5, Moog One, and others in the same room, with same speaker system. Very different experience than hearing them over the Internet.

Don’t burn too many brain cells analyzing my previous posts. I must have drunk-posted.

In direct answer to your question, hell no.

2 Likes

Eh? My team of goons goes over each of your posts with a fine tooth comb.

I had a big live vs. internet epiphany with the Pro-3. I was expecting nothing more than utilitarian sound, happy to purchase it for what I can do with all its cool features, but the sound blows me away. It’s my most exceeds-expectations purchase ever. I do like the One, but only enough to consider buying it if it gets MPE, and only then because I can source it locally. It’s discouraging that Moog’s gone 15 months without upgrading the firmware. The One also sounds a bit too niche to me, but then maybe that would turn out to be another internet-effect. Still, Matt Johnson says despite his love for the One, it’s not enough to be his #1 goto, so that would make it a true extravagance in price and bulk.

2 Likes