Best poly sampler

Hi
I’m going on a tour with my band as the lead synth and keyboard player.
our music is heavily produced and contained a lot of hardware synth.
obviously I’m not going to carry all my synth in a plane, so I’m looking for an hardware sampler that I can resample synth sound to it and then play it back via midi keys. I have tried using my Ocktatrack Mk2 but it’s only play’s mono voice… any recommendation for an hardware synth that could get the job done?

**and of course I know I can use Ableton, but I’m trying to avoid bringing a computer set up on stage **

Octatrack is stereo though!

I think the question here is not about mono/stereo but about polyphony, using a sampled note to make chords.

Push 3 Standalone is a beast, if you know Ableton already you might want to consider it.

I think MPCs, the Deluge and Maschine+ can do this as well.

Maschine+ has a nice function where you can sample multiple notes, it seems to work pretty fine (one of my friend uses this a loooot). Twice cheaper than the Push 3.

5 Likes

Yea exactly, I want to play poly sounds from the sampler. Ocktatrack can only play 1 voice when using the Chromatic mode.
Push 3 is very expensive… thinking about the Mpc one or something

1 Like

The best hardware resampler is something on the MPC/Force platform as it has an autosampler function that’s straightforward to use.

5 Likes

The 1010 Nanobox Tangerine has polyphonic auto-sampling, and in a much smaller package than an MPC (which would have been my recommendation before the Nanobox came out).

Also worth a look is Virsyn AudioLayer for iOS. If you have an iPad already to run it on, and an audio/MIDI interface for it, that would save you the cost of the new Nanobox hardware. But if you’re starting without one or more of those devices, the Nanobox will probably be the more economical solution, and certainly more petite.

10 Likes

korg wavestate

1 Like

Not cheap, but the OP-1 Field is a really great sampler for this kind of thing.

1 Like

That’s the term I was looking for : Maschine+ also does autosampling.
Bonus: it comes with very powerful synth engines such as FM8, Massive, Monark :slight_smile:

Wow thx man, It looks perfect for what I’m looking for

1 Like

It’s more expensive than Push 3 standalone!
As much as I used to love the OP-1, this is a luxury item, certainly beautifully designed & crafted, but definitely as powerful as the competition.

1 Like

MPC live or live 2. I guess any MPC in the current lineup is pretty similar, I think 64 voices polyphony is max. There is also the potential to use it’s native synth engines as well. Not small, but powerful.

1010 Blackbox does the same, if that’s TOO small/not enough pads.

1 Like

I sold mine because I never used it, but as a quick sampler it’s great. Just putting the suggestion here, though!

1 Like

Sure. Sorry, I wasn’t targeting you personally,
just expressing a grudge I have against TE and their elitist behavior.

1 Like

An important distinction is that Blackbox limits you to 80 samples per instrument, which means you end up having to sacrifice somewhere: amount of velocity layers, interval between sampled notes, pitch range, etc.

Tangerine allows a single instrument to have up to 576 samples across up to 16 velocity layers, allowing for fewer sacrifices and a more rich and detailed multi-sample. Instruments like the really-amazing-sounding grand piano included on the Tangerine wouldn’t be doable on the Blackbox.

2 Likes

not any more:

"blackbox 3.1 is now available. Here is what’s new compared to version 3.0. (These new features already appeared in beta version 3.0.15)

• Supports import of multisample sets using the filename to set the root note and velocity
  • Sample pool is now 576 samples instead of 80 samples
  • Loads loop points embedded into multisample sets. A great source for this kind of material is Samples From Mars.
  • Sleep mode: Hold the BACK button to put the unit to sleep
  • When threshold based recording is active (RecThres: ON), you will create a Sample by default.
  • When record quantization (Rec Quant) is anything but none, you will always record a clip and the length in beats will be embedded in the WAV file for future use.
  • You can now create clips that are non-power of two length. Use recording quantization as desired and Length: Custom to capture. The result will default to Clip Mode and automatic playback (RecToPlay) will work as expected.

Version 3.1.2 includes a couple of bug fixes over 3.0.15:

• Importing sets with velocity layers would not play correctly."
5 Likes

in fact you can absolutely import the Grand from the Tangerine to the blackbox now.

Torso s-4

If you’re comfortable with using an iphone/ipad you can use an app like Polynator:

works for Digitakt/Syntakt/Tr8/6-s

1 Like