Best pedals (or modular effects) for MM? Trying to make it sound less harsh/digital

Hi, so I am trying to make my MM more analog sounding. Does anyone know of a pedal or modular effect that adds some warmth perhaps to the MM? What would be some interesting hardware (tweakable) effects that pair well with the MM? :slight_smile:

haha

5 Likes

Try Eventide pedals, Rose, h9 or h90, ultratap

Chase Bliss Generation Loss MK2 can do the trick

Something like OTO Boum or Sherman Filterbank, or any other filter with envelop

I really liked how Dreadbox Kinematic works with Elektron stuff

Experiment!)

1 Like

Electro harmonix lbp2 tube pre…

Oh wow, cool suggestion. Thanks!

Awesome! What a wealth of info. Will research thoroughly. Thanks! Dreadbox Kinematic looks cool

It seems like you want to purchase new gear… but I would try routing everything through an fx machine adding a bit of gain and possibly compressor.

2 Likes

Agreed. Before spending a bunch of money and hours on more gear I’d experiment with the different ways the MnM lets you modulate pitch/timbre. To me the less time you spend learning gear is more time you get to spend making music.

IMO “analog” sounding stuff has less to do with warmth and more to do with using lfos and envelopes to subtly vary the sound of each individual note. Chorus/Flange/Vibrato can be done a bunch of different ways on the MnM and go a long way in making the machines feel more alive. I spent the last couple of years chasing boutique pedals only to sell them all in favor of the built in elektron ones — they’re super utilitarian but sound really good to my ears. Plus you don’t have to break your compositional workflow to use them.

3 Likes

I’m finishing up a MM heavy project and I really liked pairing it with a Strymon Deco. Both the chorus/flange part and the tape part help round out the sometimes spiky MM. Once recorded I processed it with UAD Neve 1073, Fairchild, Dimension D and Ampex tape plugins. The MM parts meant to sound analog-ish sit happily next to A4, Toraiz AS-1 and SH-101 analog parts. I spend a lot of time on the mixes though.

1 Like

Good Suggestion!
Deco can add something to MM sound.

2 Likes

How about Analog Heat?

1 Like

Bits of unfinished project - MnM with Meris Polymoon. First track - example of “dry” pattern, the rest - processed

Yes, learning to program the MnM will do better at “warming” it up than any pedals (or expensive rackmount gear.)

1 Like