Best hack for recording longer samples

Yep.

With Hold mode, the recording starts with a note on, and stops with it’s note off.

Possible to define recording length and use longer scales with OT midi tracks, midi loopback. Hold mode or One 2.

6 Likes

now thats what I call a hack! I NEVER use hold and I always forget about the existence of midi loopback and the many cool things it can do. I think id rather see if I can do this via the OP-z but loopback will def come in handy if/when im doing this hack with just an OT.

1 Like

If your midi track is set with the same midi channel as an audio track, midi feedback is not possible.

15.2 HOW MIDI IS ROUTED If an audio track and a MIDI track share the same MIDI channel, the MIDI track will block the audio track from sending out data while the audio track will block the MIDI track from receiving data

2 Likes

Hey so right now this totally works. On One2 mode all I gots to do is send 1 trig from the OPZ’s module track to start recording and another to trig to stop recording. If I want to I can mute the module track when i want to trigger the OT manually. Perfecto! I’ll try the OT midi loopback thing another time because right now I am way too hyped on this op-z control. Thanks for the assist, octahive - couldnt have done it without you. xoxo

edit: these are the trigs that I put on the op-z module track

C#4 (61) INAB rec
D4 (62) INCD rec
D#4 (63) SRC3 rec

3 Likes

Cool, glad you found a solution, OP-Z is probably a bit better for this than loopback as you still have use of midi and Z sequencer can divide to give longer recordings.

One thing to consider/test is that the recordings triggered by midi note are the correct length, I don’t think it can be as precise as a record trig with a set length, but it might be good enough.

Edit: You might find this useful https://www.elektronauts.com/files/507

3 Likes

It works as intended if the OT is set to Hold or One2. When in Hold, the OP-Z’s module track trig’s notelength is what dictates the start and stop time of the sampling, and in One2 its the track length is what dictates the stop and start time of sampling. For longer samples One2 is more convenient because I can mute the track on the op-z and skip the "stop trig’ until it comes around a third time making a 96step sample into a 192step sample. Managing track lengths on the OP-z can get a little funky because you’re doing it by way of the “step count x step length” but if you have the app open its a little easier.

2 Likes

Maybe QREC set to 1 step can help, midi notes played slightly before…

Is it? I never tried but I assumed it would play it on the next available step after, so if QREC was set to 1 step and the midi note arrived slightly after step 1 the QREC would initiate recording on step 2. Also wondering about end recording quantisation if the midi note is slightly longer or shorter or slightly late. Hmm.

I just wish that RLEN could be set to exact steps beyond 64 if memory config allows it, I requested it a few times, it would save jumping through hoops to do it.

Edit: ok place midi note slightly early.

3 Likes

-:wink:

Yes, probably my number one request…

3 Likes

If only RLEN>64 steps, manually toggling the Screensaver, and the page led confusion would be addressed in a final firmware update. These are my top three OT pitas.

4 Likes

@j_tana This here might give you some ideas too: https://www.elektronauts.com/files/478

2 Likes

Sampling on the OT is not something I’ve done too much of.
I’ve been trying to see if I could record 24 four bar, and have them be the perfect length for slicing into 4bar loops.
I tried setting the Trig to ONE2 and sending note C#5 from the AK to start and stop the recording.
It works sometimes, but it’s not always reliable, or I am missing something.

Has anyone gotten this to work with some consistency?

Yes. What are the symptoms?
Do you want to record INAB only ?
I use COMBO REC, which lacks on OT itself btw.

If you start the recording with a one shot, you have to send rec messages twice to stop the recording.

1 Like

Recording long samples like this is fairly new for me.
What does Combo do exactly?

Sometimes the OT just locks up using really long samples, it that normal?

*edit

Got a few things working now.
Still trying to figure out how to quantize a stop for multiple bars of sampling

Do you use a Mac ?
USB can cause freezes. Disconnect it while recording.

Combo Rec is useful because it can record all sources, according to REC SETUP settings.

1 Like

Yea I’m on a Mac. I’ll definitely unplug while recording.
Thank you!

I’ve got the manual cracked open, it’s just massively deep and sometimes difficult to find the answers in.

Memory settings :
Dynamic Recorders : on
Reserve length : None

(Bug : changing memory settings disable Static playback. You may have to reload the project or power cycle)

Rec Setup 1
Choose your sources
One2
RLEN = MAX

Rec Setup 2
QREC = x steps or pattern length

1 Like

Thanks a lot man!

I have much to learn regarding sampling on this thing.
I couldn’t seem to find what the 3 different LED modes indicate for recorder trigs.
I know yellow is One Shot, not sure what Red or Flashing indicates.

For what I’m currently doing, I definitely wonder how people precisely trim long samples without it being quantized some how.

For example if you sample 24 1/2 bars, but want to trim the end off to make it an even 24.
That seems tricky.
Maybe make a visible audio cue, like a sound at the en indicating to trim the sample where I see the something like a snare hit that I placed at the very end?

Unplugging the USB definitely helped from it freezing up

1 Like

Not if you calculate the exact number of samples. The AED value in bars isn’t accurate enough (exact value is between 2 bars value, wrong old choice by Elektron)

60 / BPM / 4 x 44100 x Steps

Ex : 1 bar at 120 bpm :
60 / 120 bpm/ 4 x 44100 x 16 steps = 88200 samples.

If you prefer to use the AED rather than QREC, you can set reserve length watching corresponding number of steps, indicated in memory settings.
(Rserve Length values are in seconds, corresponding step value have to be superior to target length).

2 Likes

EXCELLENT!!!
That is definitely what I’ll be doing all day tomorrow.
Thank you sezare!

1 Like