Best groovebox ever made?

I used it once, it’s actually ok for what it is and really quick to get something down.
But like yourself mine currently resides in its box.
I can’t remember where I bought it but the store was trying to get rid of em.
Think it was about £70 new

2 Likes

I might be mistaken but I think it has the fx scene like features similar to the Rytm before the Rytm?
I’m not a collector but I got it for almost nothing… I wonder if bad gear has a clip on it, I wanna get it painted in the real M Falcon colors and hang it from the ceiling or something

2 Likes

Yeah, that reminds me of how I missed those sales for the goofy looking disc groovebox that Zoom made, the Arq. I’m still kind of curious about those but not enough to scrape together the money to pick one up.

1 Like

Yeah I know what you mean I was tempted to buy one of those haha, after the sampletrak i thought there’s always a chance it might become a cult classic for certain features, but probably not.

1 Like

Possibly, I remember it had some nifty quirks but I really can’t remember the specifics it must be four years ago since I used it.
I do remember that it was a pain to get a sample in there

Gotharman zaTurn Polyphonic Modular Synthesizer

Yeah, one of these days I want to corner some poor representative from Zoom and bother them about how they should make a Sampletrak mk2.

3 Likes

Yeah the build quality is subpar, though the widespread issues are either cosmetic or easily fixed. It was a complete disaster until the cure for double triggers was found. At least it’s way better than the Kaossilator 2S (ugh).

I’d rather say that the issue with its synth engines is that they are very limited. We just don’t have enough control over them. The sampler is pretty basic as well.
It does sound good in my opinion, especially when you play with gain staging (it clips nicely) and use the built-in distortion, which is one of the best digital distortions I’ve ever heard. Recently got asked which pedal did I use on one of my tracks, because no way it could be the OP-Z itself… it was.

My main issue with the OP-Z is its compressor. I hate single knob compressors in general, they are useless (to me) and don’t let me sculpt the sound at all. I create full tracks on the OP-Z and the only thing I can’t do on it is proper compression, so I have to use Magic Death Eye Stereo on my iPad.

I’d absolutely love having per-track EQ as well. Wouldn’t say no to more complex synth engines and a more powerful sampler, of course.

1 Like

For fun I too would say Syntakt (having used DT, ST, and, in the 90s, the god-awful Boss Dr Rhythm 550). In research vis a vis the other options, it’s down to workflow for me. I think it’s the speediest Elektron, and while not the deepest, it still is flexible and rewards experimentation. I use it with midi loopback to get performable sound macros, plus song mode, Fx scenes, etc, make it very expressive to play with as well.

It’s easy to get a good-sounding pattern going in minutes, then there are hours’ worth of fine-tuning one can do to develop and deepen even a single pattern.

6 Likes

It even has a dual crossfader… like a OT mk3 !!

2 Likes

Now we need to do a NCAA type playoff bracket.

2 Likes
8 Likes

it doesn’t once part osc type is set to audio in, and everything else is off or set to zero.

… unless.
for instance, i don’t know what to do with sample-based grooveboxes.
spend the rest of my life browsing through thousands of samples to find right one? certainly not very appealing idea :grin:

now this was one of the best bad gear episodes, I think this is what his whole channel was meant to be hahaha loved it, I’m never gonna take that thing out of the box

1 Like

That’s the beauty of the Octatrack IMO, just instantly record some live input into the buffers and crack on with the tune.

This is actually my white whale.

1 Like

That’s interesting how each one has different views on the topic…

To me, a good groovebox in 2023 MUST have sampling plus synthesis, decent FX, a powerful sequencer, real time controls, and some kind of computer connectivity options.

2 Likes

What are the few things that blow your mind?

We all have different needs list and mine is similar. Sampling, synthesis, decent sequencer and portable.

Deluge ticks all those boxes and more

Would like to try the polyend play and their new mini tracker