Best gear for ‘jamming from scratch’

My Favorite is the Polyend Tracker, for creating ideas which I then turn into polished tracks, but for quickly creating a little loop which I play about with and then forget about afterwards I think the MC-707 is great and would integrate really well with your TR-8S

The CIrcuit Tracks is also brilliant, but I found it a bit limiting hence I sold mine. Combined with the MicroFreak it could be a winner though.

To my mind for this kind of stuff nothing beats a battery powered and compact all in one groovebox, some that I enjoy:

Korg Electribe2/s
Notation Circuit Rhytm/Tracks
Roland MC-101
OP-Z/OP1
Polyend Tracker

All of these allow complete tracks to be made, but also allow further development if desired.

I’d say stick with the Force. I’ve got a Live 2 and it’s become my go to groovebox. I can do almost everything I want to with it.

2 Likes

I’m still developing my workflow with it but I can already absolutely tell that the Octatrack is a magical thing for a live workflow, the recording buffers are just so powerful for quick manipulation of audio.

1 Like

I have a system like this as well - I can use the gear in bigger productions but they suit in-the-moment jamming so well that I mostly leave them to that system: A digitakt with a project that is full of blank patterns but loaded with drum sounds (x0x kits, acoustic kits etc) with a DFAM and M32 plugged into each input. Its lovely having quick drum programming, with no preset recall on the synth side so you’re constantly tweaking them, even so far as initial tuning on the jam. So much fun!

Thanks all the replies. Some really interesting reading and good suggestions.

Firstly, it’s been good therapy and to all those saying it - yep it is GAS and I don’t need anything!! Obviously I also enjoy the process of getting and trying new gear so that’s part of it, and I wouldn’t rule out more purchases, but I think this thread has reminded me I do have enough already!!!

I have fallen into the trap before of always selling stuff to get new things, and I think I nearly always regret it. So even though I may not be using the full range of the Force at
Present as people have said that doesn’t matter, down the line I may well want to.

It’s also really reassuring to hear that others are in a very similar position, it is strangely reassuring. Also all the suggestions are largely all things I have tried or have thought about before, so there isn’t some miracle box I’ve never heard of (well other than modular-someone mentioned the Erica synths techno system)… I would love that, but alas it’s out of range cost wise. I’d like to try a Perkons as well but same issue.

2 Likes

didgeridoo.

4 Likes

Yep, got one of those actually.

1 Like

Another thing to do is to pick a piece of gear and imagine you are back in school with no income and you have only the one thing to make music with. See how far you can go without pulling out other gear or the credit card.

7 Likes

The best gear for jamming from scratch probably depends on the genre. Anyway, for me, it’s easily the Analog Keys—4 tracks, including drums, plus an FX track, as well as 4 CV outs (which can control 2 synths or 4 pedals that take CV). On top of this, a great sequencer and performance macros. (If I looped or manipulated samples, maybe I’d choose my OT, but I don’t like to do those things live.)

Really matters what the end goal is. If it is just to relax and you are not working to finish music, then this will be a seriously long list of options.

That said, an Octatrack with a template set up will do what you want perfectly. There are existing drum machine samples where you can basically have all the hits set up to be sliced so each 16th is a different drum hit.

I don’t know, if you think the TR8s is limited then the Ocatrack will solve that. Plus with the fader, you can quickly map about anything to it, so it becomes very hands on. There are tons and tons of ways to set up the OT, but once you get something you like you can save as a template and it is immediate and ready to go when you turn it on. Save multple temlates for different genres and use cases. It is a genius machine. Plus you can sequence other synths in parallel if you want. It is 8 channels of audio plus 8 channels of MIDI. It’s just an awesome box and my choice for this post.

Learning curve is a bit high, but if you have a use case you want then it’s not bad. You then save the setup and you are ready to roll after powering on. So a little work when you get it, but pays off to becoming no work at all once you learn the machine.

3 Likes

The octatrack is a constant question for me, and I reckon it’s a good shout. Certainly always been a niggle in my mind. I’ll have to scratch the inevitable itch at some point, and happy with doing some work to create templates as I’m used to that approach with the Force and other gear.

2 Likes

Yeah from how you work I think you will love it. You can sequence and sample in little synths if you want and then mangle those. Its kind of endless and perfect for what you are looking to do, which sounds like - have fun messing with sound for short bursts while keeping a smaller footprint.

Model:Cycles or Digitone are always fun for turning on and getting right to work.

Edit: Yeah, @Azzarole 's post is also good :slight_smile:

1 Like

no need to spend. ill wager you have some. :+1:t6:

2 Likes

I think the advice not to buy new gear is best and you already responded to that.

If your goal is just to get lost/have fun for 15 minutes and delete everything after that time is up, I would go for two alternatives, depending on the mood:

• just fire up a quick sequence or arpeggio on any of your synths and go crazy with adjusting sound parameters and effects. For me, a simple, knobby/slidery synth like SH01 or Juno is best for that. Also helps that the boutiques have a simple sequencer built in, are small and run on batteries. But I‘m sure you‘ll find some nice simple VSTs on your Force or use samples.
  • go for sound design and create a patch from scratch.
3 Likes

I don‘t want to sound condescending, but for what you are describing, getting an OT seems to be about the worst idea. While it’s a bit overblown how complicated it is to learn, there definitely is quite a learning curve. Beside learning how to operate the thing, you would also have to find out what the hell you would even want to use it for, since it can do so much different stuff. It sounds like you’re already in that situation with your other instruments, especially the Force. I would never suggest getting an OT if the goal is 10-15 minute quick jams. If your goal is to learn a fascinating and complex instrument in many short bits, OT is perfect, but I don’t think that’s what you’re after. And it seems like you definitely don’t need another sampler.

4 Likes

I suspect this is partially a GAS problem, but partially a legitimate need.

I’m definitely guilty of trying to buy something to eliminate a small friction point to using what I have.

My situation is really similar and I would be just as stuck with what you’ve got if you want to just spend 15 mins here and there.

Some suggestions:

• turn on what you want to use well before you’re ready to use it. Do it at the halfway point to your music break.
  • if sticking with the Force or the SP404, have your samples/loops ready to go (assuming you don’t want to make drum patterns that much or you’d just be on the TR8S and not posted
  • mix in some backing tracks from youtube to jam over with just a melodic instrument. I’m a novice at jamming with other players so I find this good fun just working out what fits by ear.
  • mix in some old movies or tv shows and make a pattern over it. I like having a premade pattern on the digitone for this and just playing with controlling the probability of all notes so that it can be real sparse over dialogue and then more busy in between.
  • look at something like the Roland JD-XI. Cheap, has a keyboard, lets you do some basic sequencing of drums, an analogue voice and digital and pcm sounds.
1 Like

Rytm MK2 is super awesome for this with tons of options to finger drum patterns and loads of cool options. Something like a Virus TI2 synth is fantastic as well with loads of effects, different types of synthesis from granular to format and many filter options and a super arp that can work in many ways like a sequencer. Honestly any of the Elektrons will get you there like Digitone, Syntakt or Analog 4 besides the Rytm.

I am doing this on my virus with blank patch and soo awesome!

1 Like