Best fx pedal(s) for Lyra8?

Had a nice afternoon when I took Lyra to a friend with a Nord G2! The G2 is superb with resonators and I’ve learned that some kind of combo with an audio chopper, pitch shifter, phaser/flanger works really well with Lyra. I have EHX frequency analyzer and 8step cv sequencer, analog delay, midiverb.

What is a very cool pedal to use with Lyra8?

3 Likes

depends on what you want to achieve :wink:
the LYRA8 is, besides its built-in-routing, a very strong 8-oscillator-drone-voice.

• you can achieve more “classical” pattern-based sequencing with a DT or OT
  • you can achieve a quite similar effect with the KOMA BD101- / FT201-pedals (which are super versatile!)
  • the new STRYMON VOLANTE looks like a powerfull addition when it comes to sequence-able delay-times
  • for adding lush reverb: this depends on your personal taste. i personally love the OTO stuff, but EVENTIDE and EMPRESS are also nice! of course BIGSKY could also be an option, but i am so tired of hearing it in every mix…
1 Like

How would you sequence Lyra with DT or OT? Lyra does not have midi! Only cv voices, hold gate and cv delay!
I don’t want to go into strymon, mostly too expensive. No reverbs or delays anymore!

Some kind of filter pedal, audio chopper/patternator? To hear rythmic Lyra8 when holding voices to sound continuously.

oh, sorry for being not clear about this:
you can fake some rhythmic patterns by (re-)sampling it and triggering the slices in the order you wish, or you can set timeline-scaled in-sync-effects sends in a THRU machine on OT

1 Like

I have Strymon Blue Sky and Deco in my effect chain after Lyra but what I’m really missing is a good filter to shape the sound more. Waldorf 2-pole filter would be great but I prefer to have the effect chain in stereo. So now I’m saving for Analog Heat…

Then there’s Hologram Infinite Jets that would take Lyra to whole other universe.

Ohyea or the old waldorf miniworks 4 pole would be superb! I think that’s the one Pole dropped on the floor and made all the crackles with on his old records!
That Hologram thing seems cool but it’s more like some weird sampler/morpher and 425dollar! Hence it’s naming re synthesizer, pretty nice pedal i think.

…i had a small lyra for a few weeks and was running it through my OTO BISQUIT…which is hardwired to an eventide space pedal…

and well, that was mindblowing…but dreadbox nyx and nf1 doing also fine with this kind of fx backend…now.

any kind of filtered reverb and delay make up will suit the lyra perfectly, i guess…does’nt need the bit reduction and distortion part…

1 Like

oh forgot about that Jomox t resonator, wouldn’t that be a great friend for Lyra? Heum maybe I need to try the input of my Electribe emx for the grain delay and testing other stuff to come up with the ultimate pedal for Lyra.

1 Like

…sounds worth it, to give that a try…

but reverb and filter is essentially what’s missing most for the drones from russia, that can even talk to whales…

Yes filter is essential on Lyra, bit of reverb can never be wrong.

1 Like

a little example od the ft201:

I have my Lyra going into a CT5, then Shallow Water & finally Neunaber Immerse. Sounds lush & gives loads of options. I did try running it into a filter, but it didn’t really do it for me.

A favourite pair of FX for pretty much anything… though oddly I’ve not used them together yet.

Have you thought of a Bastl Thyme? You can sequence its presets to make all manner of odd rhythmic and glitchy sounds.

The Thyme is 522euros! Bit expensive but cv controllable delay time and tape speed, and a freeze button and sequencer and midi! Seems to be a very nice all in one package, thx for sharing, maybe I’ll buy this online and give it a try. Haven’t seen this in the shops in Belgium.

2 Likes

Would you like for your brain to explode so hard it creates another universe while buying the most incredible sampler extraordinaire ?

1. get yourself an Octatrack and plug the Lyra-8 in the inputs
  2. use alien combinations of THRU and FLEX machines (for direct sampling and replaying the sound) with neighbor tracks for more FX
  3. P-lock all the things
  4. assign scenes like a mad scientist and wiggle that Xfader
  5. enjoy the sounds from the twilight zone until the doctors arrive

Of course, this post is half serious. But only half, it’s actually a powerful combo and owning an OT makes you a better person anyway :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I know I know, octatrack can do lots of cool stuff but it’s way to difficult, menu diving, 2 deep for me and I don’t want to spend years figuring out everything. Already have MD, A4 and DN. And lot’s of tricks on the octatrack sound a bit dated to me. Maybe if I’ll ever find a cheap octa mk1 I would buy it to have a go with it.

1 Like

It’s the deepest rabbit hole of all, arguably. One thing I got from this forum and which helped immensely when I got the OT was to start with simple tricks and accept the fact that experimentation is part of the flow. But all of that is a bit off topic anyway I guess.
It’s definitely way too involved for your use (although that’s exactly how I use it now), but it could give ideas to OT owners, maybe :wink:

1 Like

Can you run the Lyra-8 into the Analog 4 and route through fx? Other than that, look at the red panda particle (V2 coming soon, will be stereo capable). It’s a granular delay / pitch shifting pedal. So much fun. Dwarfcraft Devices also make a bunch of cool fx pedals (Ghost Fax, Grazer, and many others).

1 Like

Yes can route Lyra into A4, haven’t tried that, maybe this weekend testing but A4 only has chorus/delay and a very nice reverb. Of course every grain/granular delay and pitch shifter is mega fun!
Or maybe a Koass pad!

1 Like

I run Lyra into the mixer then have fx in aux sends, partly because I’m trying to figure out the Lyra and what it actually does so keeping fx on separate tracks helps. A bit.