Best Elektron setup for live performance

I am considering a basic setup for live mobile gear:

1. Synthesizer- Microkorg
  2. Drum beat machine
  3. Sequencer/sampler
  4. MIDI controller
  5. Additional synthesizers ie) Virus TI, OP-1, Moog

My goal is to daisy chain it all together and have one sequencer/sampler as the central brain that controls the gear and allows for automation, recording and sequencing. Want to know what setup would be best for this?

I like that Octatrack has a slot of external SD card for recording and importing samples created elsewhere. The Digitakt lacks this but has other attractive features but to me is not a true drum machine like the Arturia Drumbrute. Also the ability to use analog devices with CV connections is great.

I would not be able to play a liveset without computer without using an Octatrack. You can use it as a mixer and for looping your other gear. This is very useful to create a smooth set without nasty breaks when you change patterns. My advise is to use not too many stuff at once, it is VERY difficult to keep control of everything when you play live. Monitoring might be bad, maybe something is not connected the way you are used to it at home etc. My perfect setup is 1) drummachine (preferably the Analog Rytm), 2) Synth (pick whatever you like, Virus TI is great!) 3) Mixer / Looper (Ocatrack or a computer).

3 Likes

Octa or an MPC would be my sequencer recommendation. However, you mention “mobile” - does this mean that everything should be battery powered?

I’m currently investigating just how good a live rig an “analog trinity” would be (A4/AR/AH), covers samples, drums and synthesis at least, plenty of scope there already.

3 Likes

Not necessary for battery power but a major plus.

Funny you didn’t speak about your budget ?

Nice yeah thinking along that lines as my future mobile rig as funds permit plus the new Analog Rytm Mark II just came out. Something like this to replace my computer/Ableton Push:

1. Octatrack MKII for sequencer/sampler
  2. Rytm MK II for drums
  3. Virus TI Polar for synth
  4. Microkorg for analog type synth- have this already

Is there a way to plugin live instruments like an electric guitar to the Octatrack to sample the output for recording? That would be awesome! Of all the synths besides Moog, I love the Virus the best that I tried but due to high cost, will have to wait as the other gear costs together what JUST the Virus costs alone!

Do the Elektron devices come with samples and drum kits or do you need to create these manually and save them or buy from Elektron?

well I have 10k budget for new gear.

Did your LIVE is already written ?
Or you intend to write on the LIVE setup directly ?

1 Like

I would focus on Elektron (only) to keep my “Mind thinking” shaped the Elektron way.
And limit myself to 3-4 device + Mixing-Processing

( i’m not working for them !!! @Avantronica not working for them too hahaha sorry Private joke budy )

1 Like

Cool something like this:

Elektron Octatrack MKII
Elektron Analog Rytm MK II
Virus TI Polar

That gives me the best of all worlds: sequencer/sampler, drum sequencer/sampler, and best digital synth.
Fairly compact about same size and weight as my laptop+Ableton+Microkorg gear.

I will wait until more reviews come out on the new MKII versions. Probably buy at end of year as my Christmas present.

some is written but also want to sample and record live directly on the gear.

After testing a lot of Synth i concluded in my case, i’m not after hardware Synth because they do not offer me the Synthesis Tech i want, Limitations kills my Creativity : there’s always something i dislike on a hardware Synth. I wouldn’t want to take the Road of Modular for a lot of personal reasons. So i come back to DAW + my favorites VST > Processing Outside and Use it in Gears Then…

My center piece of Studio is DAW + Favorite VST and Analog Four (mkII) for Synth Sounds
Favorite VST (same way) + Analog RYTM (mkII) + Analog HEAT for Drums purpose
I don’t know for know what will be the brain of my LIVE setup will be, but for now i’m on OT (mkII) + Toraiz (if they deliver TORAIZ SP-16 Ver.1.4 in december who change the game on this one)

All of that going in my Behringer X18 (Probably replace at some point but for now it’s ok) then its master going in my Analog HEAT then PA sound system

For Studio ERM multiclock as an alternative to Overbridge too.

I’m also not investing in too much old gear with modern tech because of the drivers, updates and firmware… so i bet on the one who have to deliver and want to go that way. I think Elektron will probably ready at the end of this year and it’s the perfect timing because it’s fit my personal timing

1 Like

Yeah same here dude. My home studio has Komplete 11 Ultimate plus Moog Sub 37 and Ableton Live with Ableton Push and Cubase. For a mobile rig, I want a good drum sequencer to mix beats with my Microkorg synth. The Microkorg synth has tons of patches for EDM music and the Analog RYTM would be great for drums and sequencing. Plus it works with modular gear which is a nice touch if I want to plugin in a Moog Mother 32 or Minataur for bass effects.

So probably, will get a mixer and Analog RYTM MKII as my next gear for shows. That would be less expensive option than buying the Virus and Octatrack right now.

AR MkII 2xCVs are inputs only apparently…

I’ve played live sets using only an AR running through a KP3 with the AR sending clock to keep everything in sync. The KP3 isn’t exactly studio quality but it’s pretty great for creating interesting spontaneous remixes and transitions between tracks. I typically loop various parts of the AR, drop out the AR so the cut to the KP3 loops are seamless, then change the tempo on the AR to set up the next track. You get some really awesome pitch warping strangeness. I then begin brining in parts of the next track and drop out loops on the KP3 and repeat.

3 Likes

Are you talking about the Kaoss Pad Pro 3 device and do you have it hooked up to external PA system for live gigs? That would seem like a decent setup. Less expensive than a new MPC Live X and quite powerful too. I would add in my Microkorg synth and be ready to rock.

Yeah the original Kaoss Pad 3. I know it’s kind of a goofy instrument but I like it for live looping and master effects. I have some hardware synths and do a lot of sound design in Ableton but I basically bump everything to the Rytm and sequence there. I’m planning on using Strom for more performance options next time I play live.

1 Like

used to play live solely with this combination. (mk1 of course). it’s a very nice system. for what i like, i swapped the OT for a DT.

2 Likes

Cool think my next buy will be analog rytm mk2 to go with my microkorg synth. I need a beat drum sequencer machine more than anything else at the moment. With just these two devices, I can leave the laptop home and have a better hardware mobile solution. The Microkorg is a good solid affordable EDM box.

@socaldreamer How is the rhythm mk2 treating you? I am thinking about buying one. Will be actually my first piece of gear ever. Never made any music, but finally am going to take the plunge and make it a goal if mine to understand and learn this craft. I really enjoy listening to edm, tech house music to be specific. Is this a good place to start as in the first piece of equipment to purchase?