Best effects pedals with built-in FX loop?

I’m interested in hearing people’s experiences with effects pedals that have built-in send/return jacks. Many of these types of pedals are delay and/or reverb (there might be the random feedbacker or fuzz out there, also). Just want to know what’s good, and what to avoid.

It might be a little beyond what you’re thinking, but I love my HX Effects for this. It has two send/returns which can either be two mono sends or one stereo send. Plus it has two expression pedal inputs and a ton of effects…

1 Like

The fx loop implementation on that pedal looks really good. It’s probably top of the line.

I must admit that I’m not very attracted to most multi effects pedals. But I will have to give it a listen. Thanks for the recommendation.

I’ve been thinking of Eventide Mixing Link for a lives setup (if I ever need that again).
It would re-amp a 303 and add an fx loop to it (plus take a mic for shouting into and an aux if wanted) and send all that to Rytm input with enough gain (I hope) to match the Rytm analog sounds. Seems pretty neat.

4 Likes

Very interesting device. More attractive to me than a Key Largo for my synth/pedal board because I don’t need stereo anything.

Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

That one from Fairfield circuitry seems fun, it is mono but sounds cool. It depends on what you will using it I think

Yeah, it’s a pretty cool feedbacker. I think a lot of their pedals are really interesting. I like how it gives you the ability to mix in the dry.

1 Like

I don’t really like FX pedals, but I make an exception for this one.

3 Likes

Why do you need the fx loop on the pedal?

If you like this one, you gotta try the superego+

DOD Rubberneck. I have 2 connected via send return loops for some very interesting delays.

2 Likes

Had the bigger super ego for a bit, I think its the super ego+ or somthin, pretty rad, just got rid of it with my recent pedal purge though, im not much of a synth pedal user, but for guitars i go a little too far

I’m really wanting a Death By Audio Total Sonic Annihilation.

2 Likes

They have a ton of good pedals, ‘Rooms’ looks great to me

+1 for Mixing Link. I love mine. I keep all my guitar pedals in its FX loop, and I can then send them to an amp, or line-level mixer, or both. Also has a great buffer for the guitar input, and can even hook up to the OP-Z sampler via trrs.

Super versatile, crazy good quality. Love mine. Had it for years.

3 Likes

Need isn’t part of it. But “effecting the effect” is a thing:

Ok, I was wondering if there was a specific task you had in mind.

I’ve got quite a few fx pedals and units that have loops… it’s already been mentioned I think, but the Line 6 Helix Stomp has a loop, tons of really good effects and it’ll clock to midi. That would be my go to if I didn’t have a specific effect in mind.

If you want a curveball, the Boss GX-700 (rackmount) can be found for cheap these days, and it’s price belies how good it is… you’re basically getting a shed load of 90s Boss FX pedals in one unit.
It has a looper that you can place anywhere in the chain.
I’m really fussy about overdrives/dists/fuzzes (being a guitarist primarily), but the GX-700 dirt section is the real deal.

3 Likes

I think my Deluxe Memory Man TT has an fx loop too. It only affects the repeats of the delay, which can be fun.

I remember I stuck a fuzz-wah in there once, and another time a pitch shifter.

I built a hot-rodded version of a death by audio tsa. I couldn’t bring myself to shell out cash for what is essentially a pot in a box (the maker’s description) plus I thought the idea should be expanded anyway. Mine adds expression input and a second (non latching) stomp switch for momentary engaging of the loop. I’ve since thought of lots more mods, version two will be bad ass when I get around to it.
The zvex loop gate is amazing. Way more versatile than it appears and super playable. The guitar player in my band uses one and I really want to mod it.
Back when I used to play technical metal guitar in bands I used a boss ns2. Simple, does what it says on the tin, fx loop on it was a secondary feature for me when I bought it but wound up being really useful.
I’m interested in the ehx tri-parallel looper but I haven’t laid hands (feet?) on one. Seems simple enough to build something similar so I’ll probably just go that route unless I find one cheap first.
Also, not exactly what you’re asking about but topic-adjacent; I have two Rane SM26 splitter/ mixer rack units that are great for making convoluted fx runs. Gets weird fast.

2 Likes

Pladask Elektrisk Tåken has one as well.