Best Digitakt > DAW workflows?

Just wondering what people’s thoughts are regarding the various ways that they take their DT projects into their DAWs for completion/arrangement/mixing etc.

I’m new to incorporating hardware into my workflow - are there any good tutorials that you can recommend that demonstrate the possibilities?

1 Like

Overbridge is actually supported for Ableton Live and Bitwig Studio.
I didn’t try with live, but in bitwig studio you can record all the 8 track + FX track in same time.
I don’t use DAW, but I think you can compose on you DT and when you have some cool pattern, track out in bitwig or live for arrangement and structure.
PS: you should not use FX from DT, it will be difficult to use it in separate track when you record in the DAW

Yeah, that’s basically what I do, I compose in jamming sessions mostly away from the computer, then track it into Logic with OB for arrangement, adding FX, automation, processing, etc

I still use the FX when jamming, and always track them out with OB anyway (use voice routings to only send FX to the master). Then I sometimes keep them, sometimes not. Depends on what I do ITB later.

1 Like

Dave Mech has a good short series of tutorials in getting set up with Overbridge.

1 Like

Thank you for the great responses. I use Ableton, so that’s great news!

I might have missed it, but it’s there a way of drag and dropping MIDI (or some form of export) into the DAW from the Digitakt?

(There might be some scenarios where I write the basic sequence using my one synth, but decide that I could want a certain soft synth sound for that sequence - can I drag the MIDI notes in?)

no but you can record the midi into ableton

1 Like

YESSSSSSS!

Can’t wait to try this.

To piggy back off this good question
Once I polish and arrange my track on the daw can I throw it back into my digitakt for live performances? Or would I have to just sample it back in the digitakt.

1 Like

@blaize

What’s the issue with using the DT FX when recording into a DAW?

I’m genuinely curious.

I’m assuming that most people would want to record a dry unaffected signal into their DAW, so as to retain maximum options for post processing in the DAW.

1 Like

All the FX return of the 8 track are mixed in one track. So if you record your 8 dry tracks + the FX track, it will be difficult to cut and re-arrange some tracks and keep the FX. You can hear the tail reverb or delay from another track if you re-arrange.
Don’t know if it clear, I have some difficulties to go beyond simples sentences in english ^^

4 Likes

I am going the other way around: from Daw to DT.
Start with Daw and hardware gear routed through MOTU Mk3 then I start thinking on how to transpose everything in 8 audio tracks and 8 MIDI tracks (if need be) in DT.
The fact I can simply compose MIDI tracks in my Daw then actually record all of them in DT MIDI track is huge for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you please explain this a little more, as I don’t fully understand, but this is something that interests me very much.

Are you somehow capturing your wet FX tracks seperately in your DAW? :thinking::flushed:

So far, I’ve tracked 8 dry audio tracks into my DAW - which is great, but sometimes a big part of my DT sound design is placing a lot of delay/Reverb on things.

I’m not quite sure how to take these ideas from DT into the DAW. (Aside from recording a rough dry arrangement in of 8 audio tracks, and then recording some passes of wet master with the individual tracks soloed, while I tweak the filters/delays/envelopes etc)

Can you please explain your workflow with FX a little more?

1 Like

Yes, I use the voice routing to only send the FX to the master channel, so I can record the wet FX in my DAW while recording all the individual track channels. Whether I use them or not depends on how much editing I do later. If I use the tracks pretty much as-is, then I’ll keep them.

Edited to add: If you mean capturing the FX on a per track basis, no, I don’t do that, I just record the whole FX channel on the basis that I might as well have it. If i make edits that make the FX track unusable, then I try to recreate the FX in the DAW

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks for clarifying. That makes sense. That’s roughly the workflow that I expect to be using. Might as well have the wet FX track, even if you end up recreating some of the FX in your DAW.

With the voice routing, is this set up via the ‘Audio Routing’ in Settings? By default, mine says:

‘Route to Main: 10/10
Send to FX 9/9’

Does this mean that if I connect my DT to my DAW via OB, that Audio Track 10 would be the Master Audio, and Audio Track 9 would be the composite wet FX? :thinking:

(Apologies if this is a simple question, I’m still new to integrating hardware with software)

No, not exactly. The 10/10 refers to the number of the tracks in the DT being sent to the main output. While you’re on that screen, you’ll notice that the trig buttons are green. Hit all of them to turn them red – this stops the audio tracks being sent to the main out. It should then say Route to Main 2/10 (so the reverb and the delay, which you can also toggle on/off with the FILT and AMP buttons if you like to only get the delay or reverb). In OB, the individual tracks will still be being sent to their own tracks in your DAW, but on the main stereo out you’ll only get the FX.

(the “send to FX” does something similar for the FX routing – but there are only 9 as the reverb isn’t “sent” anywhere, while the delay can get sent to the reverb).

2 Likes

Oh, wow :exploding_head: Really helpful stuff, thank you. :pray:

So in your set-up (recording individual audio tracks, + wet FX on master output), you would simply hit all the trig buttons to turn them red - which stops the audio tracks being recorded to the master output, and then only the FX are being captured in the master output in the DAW?

So, ultimately, you are simultaneously recording 8 audio tracks, + 1 master output (which is just the wet FX) :thinking: Is that what you mean by ‘voice routing’?

Is that it?

Exactly that :grinning:I probably should call it “audio routing” instead, but voice routing works for me

1 Like

Cool, thanks for clarifying, and for your patience with my questions. :+1:

As with most things, I’m sure once I’ve done it a few times, it will be second nature.

1 Like