Best Delays

But there’s a Low Cut knob right on the front panel … doesn’t it pass highs?

2 Likes

on Eurorack you can go very experimental: just listen to some demos of the strymon magneto, the verbos multi delay processor or the upcomming make noise mimeophone.

the boss dd500 is not my cup of tea as i dont like stepping through menus when sculpting a delaysound. Id prefer a standard space echo.

The empress echosystem wasn’t mentioned in this thread so I’ll recommend it. It’s phenomenal. I only grabbed it because I saw a really good deal on Craigslist and planned to flip it to get a timeline but it was so much more than I anticipated. Every algo sounds great and is easily tweakable. I did a lot of research to see if I should trade it for a Timeline and all the pedal junkies out there seemed to unanimously prefer the echosystem by leaps and bounds.
I’m trying to think of even a minor negative aspect of it and I’m coming up blank.

2 Likes

As @Housecliche writes, it’s right there on the front panel, bottom left corner.
For long ambient High passed delay just dial up the spring Reverb on the opposite side.

But after several months with the Volante I’ve slowly moved back to the Timeline bit by bit.
:boom: Timeline just has so much to offer as a Pitch shifting LFO Reverb thingy. I’m particularly drawn into a dream pop coma using the ICE machine (with amp OD or DECO saturation after the delay).

1 Like

Hmmm. That one doesn’t respond much when I use it, so I figured whatever was going on there, was too subtle for my troll ears.

Will try that again, thanks.

And now I did. No result.

Either my hearing’s losing it, or my unit’s off.

Bastl Thyme isn’t to everyone’s taste, but it might be to yours. (I have one and it’s really fun)

5 Likes

That is odd. Definitely contact the support boffins at Strymon. Is it dead on each of the saved patches? Have you at some time set it to an expression pedal range, or toyed with it via midi?
I use the low cut for my Bass guitars all the time, and it does exactly what I’d expect a HPF to do, and it works well. I hope you get it working.

1 Like

Thanks. Honestly, I feel a bit like a fool now. This is my first Strymon, and it’s doing a few other things I didn’t quite get, but I thought “Okay, maybe this is how pedals work and Strymon specifically.”

Because also, I can’t get the Spring Reverb to go totally dry. Even if I crank it down to the bottom and cut off the decay totally, there’s still some reverb left (quite noticeable, too). Only when I bypass the entire pedal, is it gone. But I thought “Maybe this is expected behaviour in this kind of product.”

Since it’s doing so many other lovely things, it never occurred to me something might be wrong. “Hey Volante, it’s not you, it’s me.”

Now, I’m starting to wonder if my unit’s flaky. Thanks for letting me know, I’m gonna take this back to the store and see what they think.

Aha!
This is a known issue. Go to Strymon support site and download the firmware update. It might fix your other oddities too

5 Likes

Now we’re talking. Thanks a bunch.

1 Like

Lolsn^^ Because circuitghost said the Volante had no high pass filter, I read the Locut knob as Lowpass :rofl:

1 Like

:smiley:

Won’t be long now until no one actually remembers the truth anymore, and the Volante has transformed into a space ship. That never left the planet. If you ask me, that is.

1 Like

I’m the OP on this thread. I still have the Timeline but now also have two H9s so it’s not getting much use. I’m clearing stuff out, if anyone wants to trade I’m up for offers of any kind, simple delays etc. If you read the start of the thread you can see what issues I had, it is however fully functional, crackle comes and goes on one channel. It’s very subtle and easily removed using a gate, just stuff like this drives me bonkers. PM if interested