Best Delays

My trusty Eventide Timefactor has developed a crackle, it’s old and been around the block a few times. I tried to have it fixed but would be an expensive ship over to Eventide in US.

I’m looking for opinions on a replacement in 2018. I’d happily buy another TF secondhand I love it but interested in what the competition offers: Timeline, Boss DD500, Source Nemesis, Empress etc.

Why not a H9. Gives you access to the Ultra Tap delay plus the various pitch delays as well as what you had on your TF.
I think the core is a good buy and then just purchase the algos you like (as long as you don’t purchase more than 12, if so buy the Max version).

2 Likes

Oto Bim is nice and playable

4 Likes

I put my El Capistan on everything, it just sounds so good, especially on stereo, great character. It’s not nearly as versatile as the Time Factor of course.

I’ve never used it but the Meris Polymoon looks and seem to sound very very good too.

3 Likes

Plus 1 for the Bim - check out the DD500 firmware upgrade they added a lot of stuff that made an amazing pedal insane

1 Like

the moog delay is pretty stellar. Any bbd chip delays all sound phenomenal

please delete

1 Like

Not a jack of all trades but I do like the sound of the Karman Line.

2 Likes

is it allowed to recommend a shop on this forum ?
i never bought anything of them but i love that homepage
pretty much every product has youtube videos linked.
i recommend that as tv when interested in effect pedals and stuff:
http://www.effekt-boutique.de/

H9 Max is definitely up there as a contender just the $$$

Bugbrand PT Delay too for BBD stuff

I have a Strymon Timeline and I’m not that happy with it. Will probably sell it. I do however like my Big Sky

There are tape delays made with good old cassettes… This looks like a great replacement of Space Echo.
Space Case TE-1 comes to mind… Stereo, now with some basic control…
But I think you can also go the DIY road :wink:

Or if you have 800 bucks, you can get a very nice one, that doubles with a lush reverb and a chorus.
You can even plock all the FX parameter.
As a bonus, 4 analog synth tracks make it a very versatile delay :smile:

2 Likes

what is it exactly you don’t like
I’m asking because it is on my radar since ages but the high price keeps me from buying it

on the contrary i didn’t hesitate with the BigSky

Oto BIM got that nice 12 BIT sound and is built like a tank

1 Like

There are so many flavours out there nowadays, to my ears theres nothing like a sweet fading tape delay. I have a very unpredictable 1/4" machine that imparts a whole lotta character, but doesn’t capture a very large frequency rage.

I recently bought the El Capistan, I’m so impressed with the sound and parameter options that I’m considering selling the ol deck. Sound on sound mode is endless fun, I can spend hours making evolving soundscapes and wobbly drones.

3 Likes

Looked it up on Youtube. Really intrigued by it. But $550 for a delay unit. I dunno. Lotta money. Still intrigued though.

Yep the fact that it’s made in france alone explain the price, but the build quality is on top !

What about any old rack effects, there must be some nice stuff to be found in the secondhand market?

The “Seymour Duncan Andromeda Dynamic Delay” looks quite interesting. Never tried it myself.

I am quite happy with my “simple” TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay. Prices seems to be really low at the moment (149€ new).

Digitech Obscura sounds remarkably nice, looks hideous to some people, and costs about $140