Best combo, with AF or DN?

I would like to have a combo for minimum live set and I don’t know to go for the Analog four or the Digitone

:slight_smile:

I know that the AF can do a bit of FM too

thanks

This might depend on what you want to combine with the AF or DT, and what you want to do.

1 Like

I own the Rytm, this is why I’m asking in this section of the lovely forum :slight_smile:

1 Like

DN! Hybrid ftw.

2 Likes
1 Like

It is really hard to decide even if you have both!
Both paired well with Rytm.
Also FM on A4 is really nice)

basically your idea is the common around this forum

Yes, there’s nothing to advise, choose what you like by sound, workflow, size, price.
A4 is more complex, has a lot of control, has performances and kits.
Diginote is immediate and simple.

2 Likes

if you choose the a4, the kit structure will match the ar. (several patterns can have the same kit, like ar) on dn every kit has its own pattern, so when jamming, if you go to a new pattern, it will be the default one on dn, while ar and a4 would use the same kit… i found that not convenient when i had dn.

also with a4 you can control performance macros from ar and a4 together and vice versa:

2 Likes

Why have I not heard of this “Diginote”?

4 Likes

superbooth 2020

5 Likes

If Rytm mkII go A4, the CV inputs can be put to great use. If mkI Rytm go for DN maybe.

2 Likes

new standalone sequencer :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Not had the pleasure of using DN but do have rytm an A4. A4 could be useful if you expand your setup as it has the two inputs that could be used for two mono synths with FX routing pan an level control or doubled up for a stereo input.
I would find that a hard choice tho as both are great - mk1 A4 goes well cheap these days too!

The idea in this case is to have a minimal live setup (alternative to my main one) with just two machines

The difficulty here is that if you’re into Elektron boxes, it’s hard to go wrong with ANY choice because they all have something special to offer.

That said, another consideration might be number of voices. The DN has 8, shared in configurable ways across 4 tracks. I can create fairly complete music on just the DN, whereas I think I would have more difficulty doing so with the 4 voices of the A4. I would love to have the hands-on opportunity to be proven wrong. :wink:

That said, the A4 seems like an EXCELLENT mate for the AR. I personally have the DT/DN pair, but if I had the AR instead of the DT, I would be much more likely to have gone for the A4 as its companion because of form factor and workflow similarities, plus all that analog goodness.

Speaking of which, you have to ask yourself if you A) want powerful FM synthesis with some limited capability of sounding “analog” or if you B) want powerful pure analog synthesis with some limited capability of generating FM tones?

I personally love both, so I have supplemented my DT/DN rig with a Novation Circuit Mono for when I feel the burning need for pure dirty analog. But if someone forced me to choose which one to keep, it would be the DN, no hesitation because for the most part, I can get into “analog” sounding territory with the DN because of its more traditional signal flow (filters, envelope, LFO, etc) once past the initial FM signal generation.

tl;dr - either is probably a great choice, but if I were in your situation and already owned the AR, I might lean toward the A4 as its mate.

2 Likes

Minimal live setup is why I went for the DT/DN pair (mated well, lots of voice options, etc.) but now that I’ve had several months of Elektron grooviness, the AR is looking more and more like a future sexy upgrade to my DT, especially with all those live performance features.

Gotcha. I used the perf mode on rytm to control the a4 perf macros that worked well live.

Ahhh okay :ok_hand:t2: Looking forward to Diginote (Elektron Notepad :spiral_notepad:)!!!

1 Like

I own both and love both immensely. However, I would recommend A4 over DN when combining with AR.
The reason is they share a lot in terms of their overall function.
I.e. data management (kits, sounds, song modes, etc…)
Performance modes
Size (if you stick with same mk version) so accessories, psu, etc…
Imo they were literally built for each other.

I’m fortunate to have the DN and DT as well and I use them together for the same reason.

Edit: also, A4 has fx sequencer track (and CV too) which is a huge! I wish badly the DN Will get an update that allows a midi track to control them without needing to physical loopback.

1 Like