Bent AR enclosure?

Its hard to believe but I think my AR is bent somehow. It does not lay flat on any surface. When i tap the pads it rocks back and forth. Anyone else have this issue? I inspected the rubber feet but they look fine. Would hate to send it back to Sweden. Anyone else have this issue?

1 Like

Are you sure your table is actually flat? Have you tried another surface?

I’ve heard people talk of odd sized feet on gear before but I’m certain in my experience its usually the surface thats off… If not most gear I’ve ever had is bent. :slight_smile:

Noisemaker said “It does not lay flat on any surface” so I think it’s safe to assume he did try another surface, even rotating the unit ninety degrees on the same surface will let you know which of the two is at fault. I think most people are intelligent enough to check these things before posting.

I’ve encountered this a lot with electronic musical gear, it’s usually long flat enclosures, like keyboards, which suffer the worst but I’ve seen it happen to something as small as a Jomox Mbase.
Lots of people were complaining about this problem with the Analog Keys and the consensus was that you could “fix” the problem by standing the unit on a flat, firm, surface and pressing the two lifting/rocking corners and holding them down for a while.
This could improve the problem but it can’t fix it completely because of the spring-back which will occur, some immediately and the rest over a short time and you’ll still have some degree of twist along the enclosure.
The only way to truly fix the problem is to counter-twist a little way past flat position but this obviously carries the risk of damaging the precious internal components depending on how close they are to the surrounding enclosure.

I don’t recommend you employ either of these methods, if it’s brand new, which it is because they’ve only just been released, ask for a flat one. Checking that a unit sits flat against a table top isn’t asking too much of the quality control dude.

Ooh get you snooty pants, talking about intelligence. :joy:
He did say “any surface” but not everything is to be taken quite literally…
I merely posted my experience, your theory is probably correct tho… I just doubt his elektron box is bent.

(EDIT) PS - personally I wouldn’t recommend bending any piece of gear yourself (new or old) as it may well weaken it somewhere, not to mention possibly affect/displace internal boards. Would rather simply slip a piece of card underneath. :+1:

T (post above yours) asked “Have you tried another surface”, that’s what I was referring to.
And, come on, “any surface” has got to mean that more than one surface was tested.
Elektron are working with thinner casing materials now, it wouldn’t surprise me if his Elektron is bent …that and his “my Elektron is bent” thread.

^ I honestly believe its very common your desks/studio surfaces are slightly warped due to the unnatural and often uneven weight we place on them and have always just thought that was the problem… I hope its not bent tho. :frowning:
I think me and T took the thread title as a question rather than statement!

1 Like

It’s a bit of both actually; most tables and desks are not entirely flat and most devices aren’t entirely straight either. The most obvious solution would be to just fold a little piece of paper up once or twice and put that under one of the Little Rubber Feet of your AR so you can hit the pads without getting any wobbliness.

At least that’s what I do.

I wouldn’t worry to much unless your device is clearly curved in such a way that you can see easily confirm that visually.

Finally, you should probably not try to “straighten” any electronic device by attempting to bend the case. You can very easily put too much stress on the circuit boards inside which can result in immediate damage, or more likely failure at a later date.

Exactly, any real wood desk will not be completely flat, and at the same time a wobbly elektron box isn’t going to change the way it sounds.

I personally would rather have a beaten up and battered set of Elektron boxes with a bunch of gigs and releases behind me than a pristine collection that is no more useful than a bouquet of flowers on my coffee table.

If it makes you feel better, all my elektron boxes are a bit wobbly, but I like having them at an angle so I use some paint sticks to prop them up with a tiny piece of paper folded underneath the uneven rubber feet.

i did notice this issue as well when got mine and i did try it on flat surfaces but the wobbling remained (and it’s still there though )
i’m not sure whether it has to do with the enclosure or the rubber feet, solution so far is to push on opposite corners and the problem seems to go away…weirdly enough, i just had a look… and it wobbles :expressionless: …

But does it go wubwub?

1 Like

Swapping the harder rubber feet for softer ones might help too if its only a slight difference.

yes it does :smiley:

Hihi. :slight_smile:

Not sure if my post’s disappear here but that’s Pretty much exactly what I’d already written (edit- aside from the “most gears not straight bit”) with a bit of extra filling. :joy:
Have a top weekend folkes… Just finished work. :+1:

have you tried puttting a steel ruler on it?
or a donk?

you place it on some of this too really tell… http://phys.org/news205575481.html

I’d recommend trying one or two of these, ya know, just to be sure :slight_smile:

+1