Benefit of using Track 8 as a master on Octatrack

Hi, I’m a fairy new OT user and would like to ask your opinion. What is the benefit of using Track 8 as a master?

I’m using Analog Four as well and if I connect A4 using OT’s Thru Machine function and use Track 8 as a master, I have only six tracks left. So far I don’t really see a enough benefit of giving the precious Track 8 up, but I could very well be wrong or missing something.

Do you use OT’s Track 8 as a master? If you do, I’d like to know why. If you don’t, I also would like to know why…

1 Like

If you don’t have other outboard, it makes a handy channel for applying effects over the whole mix: compression and eq for “mastering”; delays and other time fx for flavour; funky cross-fader powered effect mangling etc.

6 Likes

I do because it’s the only way to reliable and consistent volume with the transition trick. I hate losing a track due to it, but so worth it for that alone here.

6 Likes

The compressor really ties the room together. I never not have it anymore (plus EQ for good measure).

4 Likes

It’s beneficial if you need a master track, but not so much if you don’t.

3 Likes

I had this exact (or at least similar) thing recently

And let me say, since posting I’ve made a point of using the master, having a filter and compressor on everything is just much neater and I’ve yet to feel like I’ve run out of tracks.

2 Likes

Same as above - Compressor always on with a subtle boost brings everything together nicely to my ears. Sometimes filter pushed for dirt or another compressor to really smash stuff. If not filter and another compressor then a subtle use of roomy dark reverb can also help things sit nice together. I have no specific way of using any of them as it depends on what I am making but the 8th track as master imo is essential for what I want to achieve.
I normally have at least one thru track too so I am left to play with 6 tracks. I don’t find it limiting - the restriction pushes me to kill my darlings. Which can be a good thing.

1 Like

I also use Master track for compressor, eq (or reverb).

@081785, do you use sample locks to save (drum) tracks ? I usually put kick, snares, rim shots on the same track. Cymbals, hihats on another track.

3 Likes

filter and compressor

2 Likes

I rarely use T8 as master, but obviously it does have its uses as mentioned already, especially for live use, transition trick, etc. So it is handy to have, just like neighbour machines which I rarely use either, it is nice to know they are there when I need it.

The reason I often don’t use T8 as master is simply because I often use 8 audio tracks, as I tend to mostly use the OT as a way to bring loops from my other gear together, and often 8 tracks is barely enough for the kind of stuff where I do that.

The beauty of the OT though is this flexibility, and the numerous ways its features can be employed.

4 Likes

Serious answer is that I use my T8 as a master, normally with a filter and reverb that I make use of with scenes - the filter’s always useful for drops and transitions on the master.

I have a compresor on my end of chain so that’s less important for me.

I think of it as a performance thing more than anything else - it’s a global track for using scenes that apply to everything.

1 Like

If you feel like 7 tracks is the perfect amount of tracks, then T8 makes an excellent master track.

6 Likes

I have 2 analog stereo compressors and I still often use the comp on T8 as a master track. I just love the OT compressor running at half-wet with really aggressive settings – it slams. I like EQ/filter on T8 too sometimes.

It’s also cool if you want to get all cheesy and do the freeze delay thing on master – I don’t, but it’s there if you want it :wink:

1 Like

I don’t because my OT main out goes through a filter with a chunky knob on it and an FMR RNC.

Were I performing, though, I’d be very tempted to combine a few tracks via locks or resampling or whatever I had to do to free up #8 just to avoid toting the extra boxes/cables/power bricks/etc.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for all the feedbacks. Great help indeed. I hesitate to say that I fully understood but I do have a grasp of it now.

@Stlaub, Thank you for sharing it. So many helpful comments there. Excuse me my search didn’t find your thread before posting mine…

@sezare56, haven’t tried it yet but I definitely will!

1 Like

I bought a Boum recently to sit immediately after my Octatrack. I’m still gonna have T8 as Master for whole mix FX (massive phasers, choppy delays etc) and maybe EQ.

1 Like

If you don’t want to use an external compressor it makes a lot of sense. It glues the rest of the elements together and saves you space and probably money :wink:

I never think of putting a phaser on the master track! I like it

It’s pretty extreme. I wouldn’t do it often… but for “middle-8” or some kind of build-up/riser like effect, it could work.

Yeah, I bet. I saw Jumpin Jack Frost (an older dnb/jungle artist) playing a DJ set a few months ago and he used a phaser for every buildup – the crowd went nuts, but it definitely got old (at least to me). It was probably a phaser on the DJ mixer or something.

1 Like