Behringer UMC404HD Insert Question

Hello. I found a used UMC404HD interface on Craigslist that I’m considering purchasing. I’m mainly interested in it because it has 4 effect inserts, but I’ve read that they’re all mono.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to use two mono inserts on this interface as a stereo insert? I can’t seem to find information about this anywhere.

I think it is possible, on ableton the channels 1 and 2 are seen as L/R of channel 1

Thanks… I decided to not purchase it. I figured since it only has two stereo inputs, its inserts wouldn’t be utilized very well. I’m thinking that the Tascam 12 mixer might work though, as long as it has an effect send…

I’m pretty sure the inserts correspond to the inputs, insert 1 corresponds to input 1, insert 2 to input 2.

They don’t show up in your DAW, they just are inserts for the inputs for processing with external gear, no routing or anything possible.

That makes sense. I wanted to have all of the inputs processed through my Analog Heat before going into my DAW as separate channels or stereo pairs, but I guess the inserts on this interface (or inserts in general) have a different use than aux sends? The Tascam Model 12 seems to fit my need though- basically pre-mixer multitrack recording with two aux sends for stereo effects.

For inserts you use special y-cables, they are trs on one side which plugs into the insert socket and two connectors on the other side (one goes to the ring and the other to the sleeve of the trs side). You plug one jack into the input of an external signal processor and the other into the output. The signal will flow from the source, that’s plugged into your mixer or interface on that channel, out into the connected signal processor and then comes back into the mixer channel/audio interface.

So an insert lets you route the signal through an effect, back into the channel.
Similar to an insert effect in your daw.

Send effect works like this: You use a ts cable and go from the aux out into the external effect input. A ts cable from the fx output goes through the return socket (if the mixer does not have one, use a mixer channel). If the mixer has stereo returns, you use two ts cables for stereo output.

The signal is tapped at one point (check the specs if it’s post eq/pre eq) and basically split. The send knob lets you dial in how much level will flow through the aux output into the effect.

So insert effects take the whole signal, it goes through the effect and comes back into the channel. Usually EQs, compressors, modulations fx are used as inserts - send/return lets you dial in how much of each channel goes through the aux output into the effect. It works in parallel, insert effects are serial.
Delays and reverbs are often used as return effects. Maybe you want to send a little of your lead sound to a reverb and a lot of a pad sound.

Also there are post and pre fader aux sends.
Post fader means, the send signal depends on the overall level of the channel. If you pull down the fader, no signal will come through to the effect on this channel. This is usually used for effects as the input of the effect depends on how the levels are set. If you fade out a synth sound, you don’t want to hear it still coming through the reverb or delay effect.

Pre fader means it’s tapped before the fader and thus independent of channel levels.
This is usually used for monitoring. For example, you connect stage monitors and set how much of each channel will be heard through the monitors with the aux send knobs.
You can use the faders for performing, it won’t have any effect on what you’ll hear through the monitors.
Pre fader fx sends can also be used for recording.

Saturation and filters are typically used as insert effects and many mixers have master inserts which are stereo.

You want to run all your gear through the AH before you record into your daw?
You could ofc record first without AH and then send the whole mix through your AH. This can be done with any audio interface that gives you 2 outputs for stereo and two inputs for stereo, though an additional output pair would make everything much easier.
Could also be done via Overbridge, I guess? I used OB only briefly, but sending the whole mix through AH should work and would only need an usb connection.

If you don’t want to record first without AH and then send the whole mix through it - you’ll either need a mixer with master inserts or if your audio interface has an additional output pair (so at least 4 outputs), you could use your daw to process the master track through AH.

In Ableton Live, you’d just load the External Audio Effect device into the master, connect outputs and inputs of your AH and Live would let you monitor and render in realtime through AH. So basically it functions as a master insert effect in this case.
Other daws should let you do that as well.

Which daw do you use?

3 Likes

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

I typically use Logic X Pro but I sometimes use Ableton as well. I think from how you describe it, using Analog Heat as a plug-in makes the most sense. That is, if I can get it to work on my computer properly- I’ve tried using the AH with OB once before and it was frustratingly unstable, but that was a while ago, so maybe the firmware is more developed now…

Ideally, I would be able to record all of my tracks separately and use the AH as an effect send on specific tracks within my DAW. I’ve only ever used the AH as an effect on specific devices, which I’ve captured as single recorded tracks (with the AH’s processing printed). I’ve liked using the AH this way, but I wish I had more flexibility with how I was able to route my tracks through it. I basically just want to be able to change at will, which tracks the AH processes.

1 Like

Using AH as a send effect is possible with a daw, it’s certainly possible in Ableton Live, but should also work in others. In Live, you just load the External Audio Effect device onto a return track, set up output from your audio interface to AH and input from AH to your interface and then you can use the send on each track in Live to send audio to AH.
You can also do this via OB, but if you don’t need any OB features, that would be a straight forward way by doing it.

1 Like

I’ve only ever used a daw as a glorified multitrack recorder, but I think I’m ready to delve a little deeper. Thanks for the info!

1 Like