Behringer TD-3 MO (Modded Out)

lol… guy so happy that he destroys the box.

I like the black on grey new look, it’s great.

1 Like

I like that colour too… £159 no brainer… again I’ll say cheaper than a cheap soft synth :rofl: :+1:

2 Likes

303 style sequencer with accent out, only because of this I am in.
Sequencing the 0-coast is already fun with TD3 but this accent out will allow to trigger wavefolder slope circuit envelope

Kai Tracid Td3 MO vs. Devilfish comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MteuRJQDyFI

3 Likes

i’m totally fine with that. usually i just crank resonance up and keep it there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

According to music radar:

"According to Whittle, he was contacted by Uli Behringer in November 2019, shortly after the TD-3’s launch, asking if he wanted to discuss the possibility of collaborating on a Devil Fish version of the TD-3. Whittle says that he duly came up with a proposal that involved creating a TD-3 that included all of his Devil Fish modifications, and suggested that this be sold for about twice the price of the standard model.

Significantly, he also wanted the final design and component selection to be subject to his approval, full Devil Fish branding on the product, involvement in the promotion and marketing, and a royalty payment for every unit sold"

2 Likes

I think we should be happy someone is making nice affordable gear for us. Who cares if he makes money… all gear producers want profit… except they add a lot over the making price.

5 Likes

While I get that his demands may have been a bit too much to ask, especially of behringer. I think they were a reasonable starting point for discussion and some compromise.

I certainly think suggestions for higher quality components etc are justified.

As for a royalty, tbh they are producing a product that would be marketed worldwide based on his input, past work and legacy that he has built over decades. I don’t see why he shouldn’t have been compensated in some greater manner than a single payout (around 15k I believe, which considering the sales volume is ridiculous).

I see a lot of people commenting like whittle was being too greedy but I don’t really think that’s true. I do think he was expecting way too much from behringer though.

All in all I guess it’s somewhat of a derailment. But I do think it’s funny they simply went ahead and did it anyway. Makes it seem that the money they offered him was essentially hush money so they could avoid any anticipated backlash from people who may feel they stole his work.

6 Likes

one for the comparison heads

Behringer TD-3-MO vs Roland TB-303 Devil Fish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MteuRJQDyFI

1 Like

I never bothered getting my 303’s devilfished, IMHO it kind of defeats the object of having a sound you love then changing it, might as well use something else in the first place, again IMHO.

You can make acid with anything if you know what you are doing, I enjoy doing that, but nothing really beats a 303 or decent clone for that classic sound.

So DF always kind of fell between two stools for me, I will say though that on that comparison I disliked both machines sounds equally :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I feel the same way, the Avalon is still king of the 303s for me. just a shame it’s not widely available.
would like to hear a DF mod in the flesh though, so far it sounds like distortion fuzz, a type I’m not keen on.

2 Likes

6 Likes

but filter FM rocks.
and CV control for important parameters too.

i wanted to install filter FM mod on my MB-33 for a while, but thanks Behringer now i have an easier option just to buy a ready-made thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSebDXf9rP4

I don’t want to mod my OG TB-303.
So I‘m giving this a try. Worst case I‘ll lose 50.- on it.
What I like about the DF mod is the crazy lines you can get with long slide times.

i got my mb-33 modded and it sounds excellent. not sure if it’s exactly DF mods. I especially like the vco drive and the FM is pretty cool too.

also, total cost is very reasonable. like < £200 for unit + mod.

12 Likes

That’s cool too,
I‘m more of a 7-9 o‘clock sector type on the resonance and cutoff dials. Square wave, loads of slides. No distortion. If I modulate, I tend to use env mod. and decay.

2 Likes

mine are almost always overdriven.
but that’s goa trance, they have to roar & scream.

1 Like

TB sounds a bit punchier and more “liquid” than TD
TD is a bit brighter and a not “as present and elastic” as TB

Agree with ppl who said earlier that the resonance oscillation on TD is a bit off… and with Filter FM and various sweeps it doesn’t sounds really pleasant : ) Soft attack is nice thing to have but still want to hear a better example of its usage.

Anyway MO came out much better than it could be : )

I will stay with my RE303 built with vintage Roland chips… For many reasons (sound, reliability, kool seq and firmware options ) it’s the best 303bassline I’ve had. Just love how it “meowing” and “kicking”, prefer it over a couple of “bad sounding” original 303s I’ve had : )

Maybe would love to get another RE with mods : )

Just my 2c

6 Likes

He will be probably thinking, “wow after 20 years they will finally replicate that Plastikman sound”:rofl::wink:

3 Likes