Behringer TD-3 [303 clone]

Thanks a lot mate :+1:

1 Like

Had this idea a couple of weeks agoā€¦just as a funny punā€¦ but I ended up needing to do it.

2 Likes

Why?

1 Like

I often think to do that on my gear. I never dare to. But with such not too much expensive gear I could.
Find it so raw. Metalpunk acid gear :heart_eyes:
Would be fun wiz yellow strips cross the angles and few metal crunches in the case.
The force of this design is not any inscriptions

I just got a TD-3 today, my first Behringer product. I was trying to sequence it with my Octatrack over MIDI and had a terrible time getting it to work in an expected way.

In the ā€œquick start guideā€ I donā€™t see any useful information (hex codes are not useful for an Octatrack), and am guessing at the price point for the TD-3 the MIDI functionality wasnā€™t implemented with any functionality other than notes (no CC values?)

Has anyone had any luck with any hardware MIDI devices sequencing the TD-3?

What are the issues youā€™re having? I can sequence my TDā€™s from my DN okay, not tried with the OT but I can see it being an issue. Have you hooked up the TD to the SynthTool app? You can change the settings from the front panel with some key combinations but itā€™s superr easy via the App.

Also make sure youā€™re running the latest firmware as there have been a few revisions. Again, itā€™s really easy to update the firmware via the synthtool app.

Re CC control. None of the B clones offer CC control as none of the OG instruments did. There isnā€™t a processor controlling the synth side, itā€™s old skool analogue. The midi implementation is therefore limited

Quick question.

Should the Write/Next button respond/click the same as all the other buttons?

Just opened mine & the button triggers notes but doesnā€™t click like all the others.

The buttons have aprrox. the same click, but slightly different resonance due to different size/location.

Thanks.

Hmmmm. Wondering if i should get it replaced. It triggers the notes but there is no click. Donā€™t know if itā€™s going to be an issue in the future.

To get MIDI sequencing to work I have to set the mode to Pattern Write and then I have to enable pitch mode. Or is there another way to make it happen?

Understood about CCs not being available for the analog components and at the price point of the TD-3.

1 Like

sad about that too but we will always have the phraselab!

man Reverb is absolutely stupid with these things right now. itā€™s like every third or fourth item in the synths category.

1 Like

Probably people who donā€™t actually like Acid, thinking theyā€™re going to make something else on it or something. :smiley: No my friends, all 303s, 303-clones, and 303-alikes are going to sound likeā€¦

ā€¦a 303! If you donā€™t want a 303, donā€™t buy any of the above.

That said, Iā€™ve got one of these, and make quite a bit of music with it. I like the Avalon better, but itā€™s a little hard to get, and I like the TT-303 MkII better (just because of the sequencing flexibility) but for $149 the TD does respectable acid.

I suppose the influx of used ones could also be people that bought like five of these just because theyā€™re inexpensive, and then realizing that 1-2 of them is probably good enough for most purposes. :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™d buy another one for about Ā£80 2nd hand but I already have 2 and other 303 boxes.

I think Iā€™d like to grab the tb-03 But they seem to hold their price atm. Ā£200 is cheapest Iā€™ve seen but thatā€™s rAre.

The. Tt303 has a very usable pattern generator , not totally random.

I wasnā€™t knowing this gear, thank you

Sweetwater finally got their stock and I got mine delivered the next day.

I pre-ordered on the day the yellow version was revealed and have been waiting so long that I almost forgot why I wanted it. But the moment I heard it squelching I remembered.

The feel of everything is solid, though the whole unit itself feels light and empty for its size (which was bigger than I was imagining). Going to have to have a little jam with it ASAP alongside my recently acquired Digitakt.

Update: Hereā€™s that jam!

3 Likes

yellow for the win. I wasnā€™t really interested as I have a bunch of 303 clones. but damn, the yellow smiley was too hard to resist. Itā€™s a great little box for introducing non-musical friends to the joy of acid production. I donā€™t feel bad about just throwing it in a back pack and not caring about it while I visit. I guess being cheap and awesome has itā€™s advantages.

2 Likes

Just saw that German Amazon is selling the red one for a little more than 100ā‚¬.
Maybe there is still someone out there willing to buy or considering to get a second unit ā€¦

Has anyone had any experience with directly sequencing the TD-3 from an external sequencer? Iā€™ve been using it with my Digitakt and Iā€™ve been getting some weird lag issues. However when I just set things up so the TD-3 plays itā€™s internal sequencer clocked by the DT it runs fine no lag.

Mine arrived in the mail the other day. I held out for quite a while. I realized that every piece of gear I get my hands on I always end up trying to do my best 303 imitation - so I just said screw it Iā€™ll get the cheap Behringer one and finally let my other gear be what it is. And this way my other machines will stop having a ā€œnot 303 sounding enoughā€ complex. Also a funny side note - Iā€™ve never seen any manifestation of a 303 box in person and itā€™s the first piece of gear I ever got where instead of being surprised how small it actually is I thought it was comically huge and felt almost embarrassed at the audacity of its size, its taking some getting used to, as I expected something more volca sized :man_shrugging:

2 Likes