Behringer TD-3 [303 clone]

Mainly because you kept replying to me and misunderstanding what I was saying, but also because this is a discussion of a topic I’m interested in, criticism is valid just as praise is, wouldn’t you agree?

7 Likes

Not sure if anyone’s been in the RD 8 yet but I’d rather not be the first while it’s still covered!

Years ago (when an 808 was still relatively affordable) I read some articles on modding them. Increased kick decay etc. Theoretically they should still apply, even if you’re working in the SMD world.

(Unfortunately ?) There’s also a lot of psychology behind pricing.

2 Likes

I tried that on the volca drum (another cheap analog device). I borked the snare voice. But guess what ? Even a failed mod sounded better than this shitty snare.

1 Like

:joy:

Agreed. Mines a book stop.

1 Like

There are plenty of mods done for RD-8 already: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/modular-mania-all-things-eurorack-and-modular-synths-effects/1278739-behringer-rd-8-diy-modifications.html

Cheers! I’ll take a look👍

Just scratched the surface but that’s a really informative source. Thanks for sharing.

That is bananas as a price… and I’m sure there will be lots of people excited by it. But not me… weirdly, this thread has actually turned me onto the possibilities of the TB-03. Which up until this point I wasn’t that fussed about. I’d rather achieve acid-ish sounds with stuff that is ballpark but not the exact same. So, the Acid8, Mutable Anushri or some variations of the MeeBlip all seem to work better for me.

Being digital, TB-03 has the benefit of being automation-friendly. I tried that once with the Digitakt, interesting result (although not my style).

Jeez I just looked up the price of the Acid8… $420!!! Cool sounding synth though. edit: Oh I was looking at the EU price for the TD-3, I guess the difference isn’t as large as I thought.

I got my Acid8 Mk2 for £200, the TD3 will be £99 when it comes out. I suppose that I could buy two TD3’s for that price (and a pot noodle). And then I would have two identical synths that I could use for acid stuff whose sounds and functionality I am neither up nor down with. As it happens, I paid a bit more and have a really great synth whose sound and functionality are really amazing, more up my street, and with great build quality. All of which I’ve been enjoying for a few years now.

Cheap is cool, and for those who love the sound and features of the TD3 that’s all good. But, cheap isn’t the only reason to buy a synth.

7 Likes

I’ve been eyeing the Acid8 mk2 for a few years now. I saw the mk3 came out recently but it’s missing a lot coming from the mk2. I do wish the td3 had more original items than trying to be a tribute to the tb like more waveforms and the different sequencer routings like pendulum, random, ping pong like acid8 or xoxbox. Maybe I’ll breakdown and get one after my td3 arrives.

1 Like

@rob_lee

Andertons have raised the pre-order price to £129.

Obviously not a problem, as £129’s still great, but i’m curious to know if Andertons will honour the £99 price.

I was surprised when Andertons listed for £99 as no other UK shops had that price.

Me too as I ordered a couple :slightly_smiling_face:

Aren’t they legally required to honor the contract ?

I’m sure they will if people ordered at that price. Maybe they bought a few on a deal.

I’ll probably pick up a blue or red one, coz everybody needs a 303 (or clone) and Uli’s doing his part to help them.

I pre-ordered an MPC Live for 799 once from DV247 the official price went up to 999, but DV still honoured it…if they have your money its a done deal I think.

Andertons always seems to list the things they dont have in stock cheaper than anyone else prices, but sometime I prefer to just pay more and have it now than wait!

1 Like

yeah but Sweetwater showing it at $199 not $150 and it shows a discount from the MSRP of $300??? when Behringer themselves said $150. Seems kinds shady