Behringer TD-3 [303 clone]

of course Loopop already has a video ready to go!

2 Likes
1 Like

The computer based editor looks quite usable.

Control Changes ?

1 Like

There’s considerable difference in the sound from the four in the comparison Loopop does starting at 15:40. I’d have ot listen more carefully, but i actually think i prefer the Behringer version of things. The TB-303 really compares poorly here.

Wait what? They did not clone the optional same step-time programming option from the TB-03? It’s programming pitches and timing separately only on this?

tb 303 looks having more sub+ resonance no ? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

That could be it, not sure. I’m surprised in the variance between the two Roland boxes too.

I could see myself having a lot of fun with just the randomize function. Talk about hitting the “easy” button!

2 Likes

A great shootout from Loopop, definitely the RE303 and x0xb0x sound closer to the TB, the TD-3 sounded like the note lengths were slightly off aside from the obvious other differences, but still for the price not bad at all.

I wonder how much variation in sound there is among TB-303s given that it’s 45 years old?

1 Like

Ha, I actually prefer separate entry of pitch and time and have my 03 set to TB original mode. I guess a lot of TB-303 owners would have complained if it didn’t follow the original method, like they did on the x0xb0x.

I wonder if they might add other programming options on the TD in an update?

2 Likes

Not as much as you’d expect, and another myth is how each TB-303 sounds quite different, the differences are very subtle I’ve found.

I have tapes of my 303 from 1989, and my 303’s all sound the same as back then - ok only 30 years, but the point stands.

4 Likes

At 150, this begs to be a playground for modders

6 Likes

Agreed. Especially impressive how close the RE303 gets. The TD-3 sounds too “bright” to me, especially with resonance up. The x0xb0x has always sounded a bit too “stuttery” to me, as if the envelopes are off somehow.

It’s a shame there’s no TB-03 in this comparison.

3 Likes

Jukka I can answer your question; it would sound fantastic!!!

1 Like

Heavy cringe in that Behringer video though…

I’m struggling to think why 16 voices of poly chain would be a thing… but nevertheless, this isn’t necessarily aimed at me. Still if there was a glut of more keenly price drop tb03’s coming on the market then I might be tempted.

3 Likes

Yep, I echo this. Could be that Behringer asked Loopop not to include TB03 in the review? I hope we will see some TB03 comparisons very soon. I am not a fetishist to go after nuances in the sound difference…Delay FX, Battery, Mix In … I think I would still go with TB03 over this.

I thought the Roland sounded best, but it would have been better to bring the cutoff up on the Roland to Match the TD, can’t compare extreme knob positions, best to match. But the inherently lower filter position on the Roland sounds better and overall kinda special. There is a place for all of the above, but it is a mighty synth for £130 although I would still have a Crave ahead of it if I was in the market for something. The monotribe still wins the smiles per £ title imho even with those out now, flawless filter. Cool in red tho.

3 Likes

Yep, me too.

1 Like