Behringer Spring Reverberation 636

Damn, that’s sleek.

That is a miss.

3 Likes

1/4" connections on the back. :+1:

1 Like

Yeah just saw that. Man that was close.

Interesting…
But they should have put HP and LP filters in it!

I would love to ear more demos… so far the drums demo is meh…

2 Likes

Put this together with a fixed filter bank like the Behringer 914 in the feedback loop.

No where near as elegant as the Fjærlett ( thread ) but it should function similarly.

The 914 is quite inexpensive and both it and the 636 could be used in all sorts of applications.

3 Likes

What a brilliant idea for a feedback noise box!

I once built / hacked together a pair of old walkietalkies and a spring reverb into a feedback noisebox that was based on a similar concept. I just recently came across Fjærlett online and was reminded how much I enjoyed creating those chaotic and haunting feedback + reverb noises…

2 Likes

I’m thinking the actual spring(s) probably sit behind the blank area to the left on the B 636. You might be able to cut a small panel to expose the spring ?? If not you can just bang on the box.

ADDED : Dual springs. From the Behringer description.

Should have had CV for send, etc.

Edit: Can be done easily with a couple of utility modules, though.

I wonder how close this is to the spring reverb in the Meanie/Marvin in terms of the drive circuit and filter etc? I know it’s based on the Grampian but I’m wondering if they based their earlier spring reverb on that too?

Edit as @Jukka pointed out this one has dual springs.

I’ve got a few old Accutronics spring tanks kicking around in the junk pile that I keep meaning to purpose into something useful.

1 Like

It’s likely that most spring tanks will have similar drive and receiver technology. I bet it wouldn’t be hard to modify this to allow you to switch to other spring tanks. It sure would be worth looking into.

The electronics on the B 636 look relative simple, but well-done all the same.

Years ago I looked into the drive and receiver circuits and you’re right in that they are similar between different manufacturers. In fact many I looked at were very close to the data sheet circuits I studied. One thing to note was that they are all spring length specific and different spring transducers have different impedances which necessitates changes to the drive and receiver. But from memory much of that was just the odd resistor and cap here and there. It was an awfully long time ago tho and I’ve slept many times since then

1 Like

There was a general purpose interface that someone made and someone else ( me ) has forgotten too.

If you’ve gone far enough to looking at modding this module from Behringer you probably can get it to work.

1 Like

I really hope they used the original germanium drive circuit, but I feel they would have put that in the promo materials if they had. That said, it does seem to distort nicely in the video.

Also, even if this doesn’t sound like the original due to different sized tanks and circuits, I’m still really into quirky spring tanks, so I’d be interested to hear it.

While this doesn’t have the 636 in it, I like this video for demonstrating different characteristics of different tanks.

1 Like

You can use a headphone amp as a driver and a mic pre as an output stage if you want to mess around with those tanks, by all accounts

1 Like

It’s something I need to re discover. I’ve got three or four tanks from memory? Maybe more? They came out of old organs and the like

1 Like

FWIW, the basic specs for reverb time, input impedance, etc in the Behringer manual looks to match up with the original 636. I was interested to see that the 636 reverb time is a lot shorter than the spec in the manual for the Vermona Retroverb, as the Vermona is a really short reverb compared to say my Fender reverb tank. The Behringer matches the 636 original though, so that’s good. I’d like to know if there are differences in spring lengths. I believe the original 636 is a much bigger case, right?

Edit:

Yeah the original is way bigger. The Behringer is much more studio friendly though. My Fender reverb tank is huge.

1 Like

This is a welcome change in an age where we are overloaded with choice. A simple design that looks good and sounds great. Good for workflow.

4 Likes

Available now for preorder, shipping in 4-5 weeks:

2 Likes

1-2 months on Facebook Admin says.

2 Likes