Behringer RD-8

Did the guy who recorded the demo put a highpass filter on the signal or does the RD808 have no bass?

i dont know just sharing

Sorry, this was not supposed to be a reply to your post, thanks for spotting and posting the video!

3 Likes

Apparently the name is being changed to The Behringer RD-8.

Good review with Gaz and Nick.

7 Likes

As a drum machine freak, Iā€™m happy to see chance becoming a more common feature.

Looks like another stonking product from Behringer:)

Yea it looks killer and they clearly love the sound!

This is getting even better than I expected!
If the RD-9 gets the same treatment, that too will be a great box

Howeverā€¦ is it just me or does the clave sound really off? Not really a biggie as long as the most important sounds are on point but it did draw my attentionā€¦

I donā€™t know about sounding off but I did think it sounded good. This or the RD-9 would be worth dedicating a mixer and some single-purpose effects to for sure.

the feature with the self erasing trigs is really great! GAZ used it at the end with the cymbals! all in all itā€™s a great feature set! itā€˜s cheaper than everything and far more musician oriented then every other companyā€™s drum machines. you can see the thought went into machines from behringer these days! all credits to that attitude

3 Likes

I like the way itā€™s not just a straight up clone. Some of the performance features seem cool. Towards the end of this video, the guy makes a bassline-ish sound using the toms.

3 Likes

Looks fun to use. I like the dude they have doing the demo, he manages to look like a teenager and a slightly older gentleman at the same time. I think itā€™s the frosty beard. The bassline from the toms sounds juicy!!!

He keeps it for real with that Mega Drive shirt!

2 Likes

Gaz Williams and Nick Batt said itā€™s more like a mk2 version of the original.

1 Like

So what do people think the RD08 will do for TR808 prices?

Iā€™m seriously considering paying Ā£3k for a mint one to sample and store as an investment/collectors piece. The RD08 sounds so good, and has great quality of life improvements, it makes me wonder if weā€™ll see something like what happened with the MS20 when the mini came along.

A Ā£3k investment in anything has risk , personally iā€™ll Be happy with rd8 and pay off my mortgage sooner , or possibly put some into bitcoin / kaws toys / buy and sell things.
They might all pay more interest than a bank account.

I wouldnā€™t take advice from me , I know nothing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Youā€™re probably right. I have a tr8 which is pretty good, I just really like the instrument :slight_smile:

Iā€™m trying to rationalise this rather than accepting Iā€™m being irrational ha

Still I kind of think tr808s arenā€™t going to get any cheaper. There were 12000 produced, and Iā€™d hazard 10% remain in great condition.

Right, and if you buy one just to store it thatā€™s one less thatā€™s getting used. Donā€™t be a gear speculator.

3 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s fair enough. I do love it as an instrument and as a thing, but Tr8 + some gentle AH does what I need.

Alright, thanks nauts, just saved me Ā£3k and an awkward conversation with my other half.

5 Likes

well if you do get one, use it, donā€™t store it. oddly enough, storing vintage gear is worse for it mechanically than actually using it. circuits get weirdly temperamental when theyā€™re not switched on for years at a time.

6 Likes