Behringer RD-8

i have an old ipod (the one with hard drive in it , 120gig thing) , it stopped working … i’d barely used it.
and lots of other small gadgets like that , barely used , no longer work.

but i think the decision on 3k for an 808 has to be yours , it sounds like a lot of money unless its perfect + box , manual etc.

2 Likes

Just remember any unit regardless of condition can die at any time for any reason. Components age just sitting there unplugged and unused. Every day these things get older and more susceptible to failure. So, it’s a risk. How much of a risk depends on your personal situation and finances. For me, that money is better bet in a retirement account or towards something I’m actually going to use a lot more. I personally can’t sample or do anything better than someone like Goldbaby or Samples from Mars.

I don’t think the RD units will do anything to push down the price. In fact, I think they’ll eventually push them up, because people will always want the originals. People will get the RD as a gateway and then will lust to have “the real thing”. The folklore and allure only increases. It’s really common with clones in any hobby. That said, for me, it’s still not a wise investment (rather speculation).

6 Likes

it’s tricky to say what the Behringer 808/909 will do to prices of the originals. with the Korg Odyssey and MS20, the prices for the originals leveled off. but those were basically manufactured by the original manufacturers, given that David Friend helped with the Odyssey and they got the rights to sell it under the Arp name. the Model D may have impacted Minimoog sales, but it’s hard to say because the Moog reissue came out around the same time and I think that impacted original Minimoog sales more. so… sort of in untreaded waters with these units and the MS101, Bro One, etc… personally, I don’t think Behringer clones will be looked at as “the same” the way the Korg or Moog reissues were. so I don’t expect prices to drop or level off on the originals. just keep climbing like they have. but other clones (Nava, Yocto, Miami, etc…) will get cheaper on the secondhand market, I’d imagine.

either way, I still wouldn’t buy any synth/drum machine as an investment for your future.

1 Like

look at the 303 for example. there are a million replicas but the price for an original still increases.

I’ll probably order the RD8. I actually think it’s better than the original.
Now, if only they could make a Model 15…

2 Likes

It’s available for ordering now at Thomann…

Not from where I’m looking (I’m in uk )

Found it , ordered

2 Likes

Does anyone know what the FX are on the RD8?

Filter , transient thing…
Details are on the link.

There is no delay / reverb type fx
More info here too

Does anyone know if the shuffle function is also a 1/1 clone to the original?

From Sonic State:

In addition, there’s also an FX bus which has a Wave Designer (like a compressor/transient shaper) and a Low pass/High pass Resonant Filter (routing is both or none) - you also can record filter moves (freq only) into each pattern.

2 Likes

Do we know if the filter move we record is per track or global? I would assume global

No shuffle on the TR-808 if this is what you are asking.

Does anyone know what the FX are on the RD8?

Loosely related to this … I think there is a input to the main mix, so routing a voice via an effects pedal is easy.

I think i understand the question – the FX bus is across the whole audio signal, but you could choose to solo or mute voices and effect them separately perhaps recorded into a DAW; or do whatever you want outboard to the RD-8 with each separate individual audio out.
Also you can edit the filter cutoff setting on a per step basis, kinda sorta like a p-lock. Also cool how Behringer has increase the track length to 64 steps now.

To get more info on this watch the Sonic State video. I start the video when “the boys” are looking at the effects part – it goes from around 12:00 to almost 18:00.

Wel i heared from someone who owns an 808 that there is special groove to the machine. Something special. So I wondered if this was apparent in the behringer as well, but I guess its more steady.

Quote:

anyone find it for sale in the US yet? wow behringer sucks at marketing :confused:

Oh man, that’s a can of worms :bug:

Better just to use your ears when you get a chance to play with one, then see if you start dancing wiggling.

1 Like

I’m sure the groove can be replicated by Cubase or Ableton with a little bit of practice

Always trust someone who prefaces what they say with “I’m not a ____ but”

1 Like