Behringer RD-8

Color scheme is on point, for sounds it’s too early. I like that it is big and the seperate outs mean it can get a dedicated patchbay :crazy_face:

1 Like

Jeah me too

yeah - it sounds pretty close to my TR-8S, so probably… :wink:

1 Like

you could possibly suggest that no-one knows what an 808 sounds like anymore anyway as they’ve been listening to compressed and distorted samples of modded ones for years…

:wink:

plus they all sound different anyway by all accounts…

7 Likes

Price will be 299 USD and shipped in March!

3 Likes

Don’t want to start a new thread for it, but the Vocoder is alive and the RD808 and 101 are being played in the background (move if needed mods).

Vocoder VC340

RD 808

EDIT

New thread for the vocoder

2 Likes
1 Like

300? SOLD

Let’s hope the thing will actually be available in march… and not october due to insane order backlogs

4 Likes

I am confused. I thought modern incarnations of 808’s required stanky neon green lights all over them?

12 Likes

I don’t mean to be dismissive of this machine at all, and it’s probably an impressive technical achievement to reproduce the circuitry. but unless you’re working in a specific subgenre where everyone demands slavish reproduction of an 808, why is this a killer thing to have for music making (as opposed to collecting a rare and expensive thing and being afraid to remove it from its dust cover and lay hands on it, which is what I assume most vintage 808 owners are doing)?

Pros: Everyone knows what an 808 sounds like! They’re the most used drum sound in popular music!
Cons: Everyone knows what an 808 sounds like. They’re the most used drum sound in popular music.

Hot take, but - 808s are great. Buy a high-quality sample pack of those sounds, and save the rest of that $300 toward something more interesting and flexible, like a MachineDrum or Rytm Mk II :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You send me a samplepack that reproduces the hihat accents perfectly, with the sounds oozing effortlessly into each other like on the OG, and then we will talk. The boutique TR08 kinda did it, but after recording it for some tracks I was disappointed to hear that it sounded too much like a VST, plasticy high freq response, stiff sound… Replaced the pattns with my analog rytm and the sound was immediately on point, although not authentic 808 anymore… so I sold off my boutique TR08.

I got drum machines up the yazoo already. If I fetishize certain idiosyncracies of the OG 808, its my perogative. Hell probably I’ll have this one gathering dust most of the time, only coming out of the closet when a particular project needs “that sound”.

Same with the RD-909.

What I do like about these clones is the added functionality (pitchable kick, 64 step pattns etc). If these sound close enough to the originals, they’ll be even more useful to me than the OGs :nyan:

5 Likes

It’s not.

4 Likes

100% agree, personally. But I don’t do dance music, so that could account for my ambivalence. There’s a lot of drum sounds that interest me a whole lot more. That said, individual outs is a compelling feature and running some of them through various fx’s or pedals could take things in a direction I’d be down with

Now that vocoder is a whole other story…very interested in that :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Its great but is there really a plus value using a real 808 instead of using samples ?
I mean this is quite a limited drum machine.

as stated above, the hi hats and cymbals do something magical when you’re combining accent, as well as when you play both hat sounds at once. combined noise source or something like that, is the reason why.

personally I love the classic TR boxes because they’re so simple. no menu diving and very little options for changing the sound. if you like the sounds they offer, just program a sequence, adjust shuffle and accent, smile.

4 Likes

any real update at NAMM on the RD909 yet? I’d like to buy both and the vocoder if they are launching.

Thanks, never had the chance to try a real 808. Its a really good price for an analog drum machine.

Well, many electronic/dance artists have been using samples for decades :slight_smile:

It’s a niche product, if you are really into the sound of the 808, it’s cool to have it in a hardware package for 300€, much like TB303 clones.

For me, a TR8S does it much better, and a ton of other things too.

2 Likes

Seen some pics of cardboard boxes with 3 RD909s in each. So I’m guessing they are in production as well, wont be long, just a few months behind the 808 I’d wager.

Agree, love 808 and Behringer for doing a clone at that price but this came a couple of decades too late. Would have loved this in the 90s but today not really. Its also a lot of desk realty for its function.

4 Likes