Behringer PRO-800

I have the Nymphes and should be receiving a Pro-800 in the next 2-3 weeks according to Thomann.

UI of the Nymphes is OK, it‘s not aweful but it‘s also not knob-per-function. That said, I LOVE its sound. It‘s so complex, so alive, so much attitude…I think it‘s a really great little synth.

The Pro-800 looks to be a beast. I‘m quite anti-Behringer and I have one on order (my first Bynth), so go figure.

1 Like

Right, that speaks volumes that you ordered it then. Yeah about the sound, the Nymphes sounds so good, but the lack of clear visual indications of where knobs are is a real challenge for my head usually. Think I might just have to buy them both and return one arter a week or so.

Very curious to hear your initial thoughts once you receive yours, tho :ok_hand:

1 Like

That would tie in with the estimated date from Andertons where I’ve got a pre order :+1:

1 Like

I would think the Pro800 and Nymphe has something in common.
IIRC the Nymphe use the same oscillator that can be found on the Take5 and this one is said to be close to the Pro5….
So they might be cousin in the end, don’t know about the filter which is the second big distinctive element in the end.

1 Like

I don’t think they really have much in common beyond both using ICs for VCO and VCF. I believe the Pro800 uses the Cool Audio 3340 VCO (based on CEM 3340) and Cool Audio 3320 VCF (based on CEM 3320).

The Nymphes uses SSI 2130 VCO, and SSI 2144 VCF (based on SSM 2044).
Take 5 uses the SSI 2130 VCO and SSI 2140 VCF (based on SSM 2040).

The Take 5 filter is like the Rev1&2 Prophet 5, the Pro800 filter (if it uses the 3320) is like the Rev 3 Prophet 5.

Nymphes filter is similar to the one in the E-Mu Emulator, Korg Mono/Poly, Polysix, and others.

10 Likes

Here’s a 20 minutes no talking demo with (new) presets for Ambient, Electronica and Melodic Techno. Maybe you find it useful.

7 Likes

Finally able to order here in Japan (but no word about delivery timing). I love the sounds I’ve heard, so caved and ordered. Gonna be my one summer purchase. I might get something in the winter, but that’s about it for the year for me I think.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Just got a message that said it could take months as Behringer has no inventory. Bummer. Perhaps this will be my winter purchase. Lol. :smile: :santa:

2 Likes

Well now you got to think about what to replace it with. Just switch your winter purchase with summer’s!

2 Likes

Just order it! When I preordered three weeks ago, it said 9-10 weeks. Now Thomann says it will be 1-2 weeks. Point being, if you want it, order it, you might just get it sooner than tou know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is this synth a good candidate for a workhorse synth? Clearly it’s good for pads and the like, but what about bass and leads?

Yes, if you like the distinctive Prophet sound.
Although, you’re capable of a whole bunch of different transients. The filter is what gives it that certain character, with help from the envelopes.

1 Like

Yep. Definitely keeping the order. I’m heading overseas in a couple of weeks for my summer vacation so maybe I’ll get lucky and have a package waiting for me when I get back.

2 Likes

OK. Thomann just messaged to say mine is being shipped today, it should arrive in 2-3 days, and it seems to be now available from their website too.

Can’t wait :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I ordered this morning and it is now showing as “shipped”. But havent gotten a shipping notification yet. Faster than expected! It said “in stock in 2-5 days” when i ordered.

I ordered 2 weeks ago (Thomann) when it said „7-10 weeks“ and also got a shipping confirmation today! :partying_face:

1 Like

Got my Pro-800 today. Had a brief playaround the last half an hour, first impressions from that:

1. The thing smells terrible, has that factory smell. Seriously, I haven’t had a new piece of gear stink up the studio like this in - ever, I believe. It’s so noteworthy it’s my first point lol.

2. The build quality is really nothing to write home about. Ok, I’m getting 8 analog voices for 389€ here, so I guess that’s to be expected, just thought I’d mention it because the cheap feel is noteworthy.

3. The knobs seem to have quite significant dead zones and then scale up logarithmically, ie turning them at the extremes does nothing, then suddenly it does a lot, and then again nothing. Print on the front panel doesn’t seem to match the knobs’ ranges at all. Example is the frequency knobs of OSC 1 & OSC2. The print around the knob shows a range of 0-10, but in fact those knobs are stepped in octaves and there’s 5 of them. The last 30% of these knobs do exactly nothing. Maybe this is also just my unit, would love to hear from other users here if they experience similar behaviour

4. Where the knobs do affect the signal, the speed with which they affect the signal (scaling) is pretty intense. I made a patch consisting of only the self oscillating filter, and trying to tune that was near impossible. Just touching the cutoff frequency knob drives the freq up by a semitone+. The movements needed to go from a heavily detuned C to something in the ballpark of a tuned C are so miniscule that I eventually just left it 15-20 cents flat. It almost feels like using a midi controller, the resolution just seems a bit too low. Again, feedback from other owners welcome.

5. The sound (aka the main attraction): sound is lovely but here again I’m concerned about the build quality. I couldn’t get the SAW and PULSE on OSC 1 and OSC2 to sound close to the same, there are differences in amplitude and even in timbre (noticably so) despite matching parameters. That said, the filter is beautiful & wild, especially at higher resonance freqs and the thing can sound really good. I haven’t had enough time with it yet - because of the above mentioned points, programming it wasn’t as breezy as I would expect, but I’ll have to spend more time with it. Played polyphonically, the synth does sound beautiful though, I can say that even after just the first 30min of noodling.

6. My unit also has the hanging midi note issue.

Someone asked for a comparison, Nymphes vs Pro-800. I own both, so here my first hot take:

Nymphes somehow has a more “open” sound for a lack of a better word, the Pro-800 is more upfront more present. Also, it feels more like its own thing, a concept synth so to speak lol. With the Pro-800 I can’t shake the feeling, that I’m messing with a (very good sounding) imitation of a thing. Duh, that’s the whole point I know, I’m surprised how much this affects me though, given the quality of the sound. The filters alone on these two are sufficiently different to justify having both (at least for me), so soundwise I think they both have their place. But in a nutshell, the Pro-800 will not make me get rid of my Nymphes, that I already know.

I might sound overly critical here maybe, rest assured it’s not my intention at all. Just sharing my very first (and very brief!) impressions. Sound is definitely there, I’ll give it a little more time tonight and then the weekend, will report back then.

19 Likes

That’s hilarious :joy: It has never come to my mind to even smell a synth.

2 Likes

no need to smell on it when it stinks up an entire 30m2 room!

IMG_8343

1 Like