Behringer Model D Synth

For those that have owned their model Ds for a while now, how are they holding up? Build quality is ok? How about tuning - I have read a lot online about there being issues with tuning stability.

I have own my Model D since 2018 and I really satisfied with it. I am not using it that often, but the build quality is great and its better than you can expect for a ā‚¬329 synth. The switches are on the cheaper side but I havenā€™t had any issues with them.

I have not experienced any issues with tuning stability. My unit needs a tuning for oscillator 1. It has always been off a bit. Its not a big issue though. My Behringer 2600 seems to need a oscillator calibration as well. So it seems that Behringer does not calibrate the oscillators that well.

But with that said, the Model D is a no brainer. Its one of the few of Behringers clones that acually sounds like the original + a few eurorack patch points.

1 Like

Pretty good. Does go out of tune but not as badly as my old Moog Prodigy. Has built in 440hz output for tuning.

Which ones donā€™t sound like the originals, in your experience?

B2600, K-2 for example. B2600 sounds amazing on its own though.

Iā€™ve heard people say the K2 filter is a bit hotter but it sounds close enough to me. I canā€™t really comment on the 2600 but there are 3 editions so I guess there was significant variation in the originals for it to be impossible to pin the sound down exactly. I think in some ways the MS-1 is better than the original, the filter FM adds a lot of possibilities.

Moot himself said something about the original one. As they got better at building synths the started fixing the minimoog. They got it very stable. Then they realized that it lost its charm and sounded boring in comparison to earlier ones.

But some of the originals where hard to use. A friend showed of his. It was so hot in his studio so I asked if he could open a window. He asked me to keep playing on the minimoog while he opened the window. It went so out of tune within a minute. But it sounded good when hot.

The aim for my claim is not to debate if its true or not. It was just to underline that the Model D actually sounds like the original.

When it comes to B2600 I see it as a more modern version of the OG which is great. I just bought it a couple of days ago. But when it comes to nail down the sound of the OG 2600 I think Korg Arp 2600 FS/M is closer and sounds amazing as well. Itā€™s just different shades of the same color.

1 Like