Behringer Model 15

The candy store comes to me! I love it :heart:

6 Likes

Airyck can bring a beautiful synth wrapped in yellow tolex!

4 Likes

I was going to say something like that. You did express it better than I would.

2 Likes

Yes but at least the money theyll save will buy a holiday in the Bahamas.

3 Likes

The Bahamas need songs to be made on a Moog.

3 Likes

That’s almost the converse of the discussion I had over buying a Model 10. “Why would I want to spend the money to vacation somewhere that doesn’t have a Moog?” :crazy_face:

6 Likes

I’ve got a Matriarch and a Model D and both get used. I don’t think the B stuff is exclusively for folks who can’t stretch to a Moog. Of course the Matriarch is a premium product compared to the D and I love it to bits but the Model D has a place in my setup too.

2 Likes

Do you agree its a better gateway into the Modular world over the other semi modular stuff. As its smaller and more easily placed?

1 Like

I’m not a modular guy per se, so I might not be the best person to ask but I’ve got quite a few semi modulars that I use standalone or patched together such as the Neutron, Cat, Marvin, D, K2 as well as the MB2S. I think for the sound you can coax out of the D it’s an excellent synth for the price hence my interest in the 15. Hoping it’s more of the same.

1 Like

Im not a modular guy either. But is had peaked my interest as i could perhaps integrate the Neutron and the proposed Proton? Do you think these three would work together.

Deffo. Especially with the Neutron sized patch bay of the 15 and Proton. Patching is a bit limited on the D and some of the others but they’re still useable in a bigger patch

1 Like

Cool. Just need a sequencer but i have a Cirklon in the next year hopefully😀

1 Like

I’d love to agree with this perspective because it makes a lot of sense, but ever since I learnt that Behringers Brains is the top selling eurorack module on Thomann I’ve lost a lot of faith in humanity

2 Likes

At one time the Poly D was too(top selling synth) when i bought it from them.

So that we know what this product is, i adapted this from a post i made in the Gear-in-progress thread, which i picked up from the Behringer Facebook page, including some of that standard new product hyperbole.

Model 15

The Model 15 semi-modular synthesizer is based on the legacy “Model 15/35/55” circuitry but with some added features.

Analog Semi-Modular Synthesizer with Dual VCOs, VCF, Sequencer and Arpeggiator in Eurorack Format

• Analog synthesizer with dual VCO design allows for insanely fat music creation
  • Authentic recreation of circuits from the legendary “Model 15/35/55” modular synthesizer
  • Semi-modular design requires no patching for immediate performance
  • Pure analog signal path based on authentic VCO, VCF and VCA designs
  • Dual oscillators with 4 waveforms, oscillator sync, pulse width modulation and sub-oscillator
  • Classic 24 dB ladder filter with resonance for legendary sound performance
  • Advanced step sequencer with 3 separate 256-step memory slots, key transpose and multiple playback modes
  • Arpeggiator featuring hold function and multiple playback modes for recording and playing back your melodies and riffs
  • Fully analog LFO with 4 waveforms and dedicated controls for pitch, filter and pulse width modulation
  • Spring reverb emulation for inspiring sound effects
  • 48 patch points for advanced modular connection and integration with external equipment
  • 37 controls give you direct and real-time access to all important parameters
  • Complete Eurorack solution – main module can be transferred to a standard Eurorack case
  • 16-voice Poly Chain allows combining multiple synthesizers for up to 16 voice polyphony
  • Comprehensive MIDI implementation with MIDI channel and Voice Priority selection
  • $329 USD

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Behringer already manufactures and sells a large set of Eurorack products which they call the Behringer SYSTEM-15/35/55 Series Eurorack Synthesizers.

That certainly makes it easier for them to adapt those designs into this semi-modular product. They can use the cases that they already manufacture.

No doubt there is also an influence here from the Moog Grandmother. If you would like to discuss the ethics, and appropriateness of this, there is a ready made forum for that in the Clone Wars thread that i linked above.

I notice in the comments that Behringer made relative the video sabana posted at the top, they mentioned getting a small batch of chips, to allow for manufacture. I don’t know if they would specifically be making their Model 15, or some other product, but this one would be a good choice, assuming it’s been completely tested and is ready to go.

2 Likes

Comprehensive midi implementation……

They’re using this term a lot … to me it means midi cc etc.

—- a quick look on gearspace and a reliable source added

‘ full CC on this inc. access to arp and seq: functions

currently working on making them send as we see fit - this may end up being removed we will see’

insanely fat

it always makes me chuckle when companies say stuff like this

these oscillators are off the chain homeboy!

1 Like

That’s why i said, “including some of that standard new product hyperbole.

There is a fine line between product promotion, and over-the-top rhetoric. Some companies do fine lines better than others.

re5et – the depth of MIDI control for the Behringer semi-modulars is definitely a recognized shortfall. I know Behringer has been working on this so hopefully we’ll see improvements with the Model 15 and the rest of the new crop of semi-modulars.

1 Like

It looks insane for the price range. Slightly questioning whether the print on the fonts will be nice and crisp but at this price you could probably take the sticker off and screen print it yourself with a chunk of change left over. Not a fan of that front facing midi port though. I believe it’s the same on their other gear but it makes no sense to me. Akin to putting the power cable on the front to me but for the price it’s very hard to complain assuming it ticks all the boxes they’re putting out there

1 Like

I have recently been thinking of getting a Model D for some of that funky 70s Minimoog vibe. Just wondering how the Model 15 compares sonically. Would it be able to cover that ground or is it totally different?

I suppose this would be a good comparison?