Behringer Eurorack Modular

They physically can’t do that. Like spiritually or something, maybe something from the Shadow Realm.

They wouldn’t be Behringer. The very nature of being Behringer implies they can’t do this. The Neutron was as far as it goes. The DeepMind was a mildly improved Juno clone (started out as a more direct clone).

1 Like

But did they really?

If good marketing is to create a stir, they succeeded. Again.

4 Likes

Behringer generating drama (because negative attention is good PR) and persons not wanting to be associated with Uli’s drama ops, “both camps”.

If people want to promote B’s synths as “affordable for musicians” that’s fine but their business’ continual shit-stirring isn’t helping how they’re seen.

3 Likes

If the image was licensed from Adobe then Colin has presumably been paid for his image rights when it was licensed (or the rights sold) to Adobe. So I don’t think he can really complain, unless Behringer breached the terms of the license by making it appear to be an endorsement.

1 Like

They photoshopped the 2600-OSC into the original photo. That’s not what he was using.

You’ve got to give them credit: they know how to stir the shit.

Edit: oh shit they forgot to photoshop patched outs! :joy: :joy: :joy: I still would not put it past them that it was intentional.

2 Likes

That is what occurred.

1 Like

I hadn’t spotted that. Oh dear.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why.
It needs another oscillator, a ring modulator and a wavefolder to become a complex oscillator.

1 Like

See, I differ on that, but due to my own experience. I worked in an equipment related store in the early 2000’s and we sold some Behringer related products that directly competed against all of the Mackie products we also sold (e.g. the straight Behringer rip offs from that era). I abhorred Behringer back then and actively went out of my way explaining to people “these are garbage rip offs of Mackie” which I tried to sell them on instead. It rarely if ever worked. Why? People genuinely didn’t GAF. 80% of items sold on price alone, 10-15% on functionality and the last 5% to people who actually cared about quality and/or the company behind it.

My opinion is that much of all this is the same. The global market really doesn’t care about these controversies. Twitter, forums and the social media universe are still but a small microcosm of reality. I don’t think it hurts them at all and probably doesn’t do all that much to help them either in terms of sales. In mindshare amongst the minority that care, sure, it greatly impacts them.

My personal opinion of Behringer has improved, I’m willing to own some of their products, but I also think they do some absolutely idiotic things for sure. They also need some balance in cloning/recreating the past and developing original IP. And I think they’re perfectly capable of creating original items, but right now it’s much easier and seemingly more effective taking the route they’re going. I bought the items I wanted to, will probably get an RD-9, but that’s really all I’m looking for. Well, unless they clone an Oberheim Xpander… then I’m all in. Otherwise, I don’t have much interest.

Edited: For my crap spelling and what not.

4 Likes

I know most persons don’t care, my expectations are realistic there.

1 Like

ah… you’re right… “any publicity is good publicity” they say.

1 Like

I had no idea who was in the image, to me it’s just another wall if eurorack and cables.
They probably just searched for ‘synth , eurorack’ and grabbed one if the results… something most other illustrators / marketing might do.

It’s certainly upped the volume of the launch, I doubt it was B’s intention to cause more upset… the unit itself seems interesting enough.

4 Likes

How difficult would it have been to take a photo of one of the team using the module. The effort of using Adobe stock then photoshopping it in seems silly

2 Likes

That Adobe stock effort might be 30 minutes, free photo as it’s part of license

1 Like

Still though I doubt it would take much effort to get a pic from a product tester or one in their studio

Lazy gits lol

“It’s easier” is one Behringer motto :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

This Behringer stuff reminds me of my fake Björn Bork underwear I bought back in the days during my holidays in Turkey. They were always sitting too tight in the mix…

1 Like

It’s massively easier, quicker and cheaper to use stock imagery. The downside is, well, it’s stock imagery, not your own.

The equipment, lighting, creative direction and skill required to get a decent image is not trivial.

4 Likes

I get that but they shoot videos etc and surely a company of that size could have that type of thing as standard. I’ve worked for companies with 5 staff that take their own product shots with a fraction of the budget behringer has. In fact I teach students with zero photography skills to take pics for online promotion and if I was close to behringer offices I’d gladly send them along for free work experience

Yeah if they were a band they would be a covers band, clearly they have a market though, but can’t help but wonder what the pool of engineers they have could come up with, given a free reign to innovate rather than just boringly copy other designs without improving them.

Maybe once the fascination with the 80’s is over and everything has been done they will move on. Probably not.

2 Likes