Behringer Eurorack Modular

I’m seriously tempted to build a B System 100.

2 Likes

What do you think that will run you (in cost) ?

2 Likes

Not sure? I’ve not sat down and worked it out. I’ll need a case then start with the bare bones VCO/VCF/VCA/EG/LFO… im guessing that’s gonna be getting off for £500? But that’s a fag packet calculation. I see the modules are around the £80 mark on average. Prob got with a B case for starters. I know it’s famous last words but I’m not planning on going full on modular, I’d just like to build a standardish 100, akin to one of the Roland originals in terms of module count. Still tyre kicking until I see a few vids of those modules and gauge reaction.

Nothing against the Moog style ones they’re doing, I’ve just always fancied a 100.

1 Like

Plus wrap it up in one order, and you should be able to ask for some sort of discount.

The Behringer modules look to be pretty careful crafted to act authentically.

1 Like

I’m hoping so. They deffo look the part! And if build and sound quality is on a par with the MS1 and Bodyssey (octave switch apart🙈) I’ll be happy.

I did see an announcement that CoolAudio are re-fabbing the BA662 so if they use those it would indicate they’re going for authenticity? I’m assuming the OG System 100 used them all over the place as other Roland synths of the era did. I stand to be corrected if I’m wrong tho, I’ve not studied the OG schematics.

Re the BA662… I’ve got two JP4’s, an early rev and a later one. Sadly the early rev had already had its voice boards swapped out for later ones when I got it. (the early rev boards used 662’s in the VCF while the later ones replaced 4 of them with the 3109. Lots of folks swear the 662 filter sounds better than the 3109. It’s interesting to note the the service manual lists changing the earlier voice boards out as an upgrade that Roland recommended at the time of printing so I guess a lot of JP4’s would have been ‘upgraded’ this way over the years. Even with the 3109’s the synth isn’t the easiest to adjust and calibrate between voices and I seem to remember reference to them swapping to the 3109 to improve the situation.

1 Like

Just had a look on Thomann. For one of each of the modules they’re listing it comes to £527 which wasn’t a bad guess! That gets you the following modules

112 - dual vco
121 - dual vcf
130 - dual vca
140 - dual envelope
150 - LFO/sample & hold/noise
173 - quad gates.

Obv need to factor a case into that plus patch leads etc. All in with their Eurorack Go case it comes to £760. It’ll be interesting to see if in time Thomann start selling systems akin to the standard off the shelf offerings from the likes of Doepfer etc.

1 Like

Or Behringer could do the bundling themselves. Lots of Eurorack makers sell individual modules and bundled systems.

That’s a helluva lot of bang for the buck ! £527.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Im looking forward to their clone of the Moog sequencer. Not sure when it finally releases in the States. Long wait times for us, plus everything sells out pretty quickly.

Sounds pretty good to me. I have a few of the Roland 500 modules and that Behringer OSC sounds pretty close to it. The filter sounds pretty close as well

2 Likes

Has anyone used the B Eurorack Go case? That’s a solid price for a powered case of that size.

I was looking at the Intellijel ones for less than half the space for slightly more, though it does have a row of 1U

I’ve heard positive things about them. Main complaint is that the case itself is plastic, but everything else was fine. They look massive in the photos.

1 Like

4 Likes
1 Like

“According to some vintage synthesizer connoisseurs, the Roland 100M VCOs weren’t known for perfect tuning either.”

news to me. I’ve never had a tuning issue with any vintage Roland synth (that wasn’t actually broken in some way). they’re stable as hell. I’ve never played a 100m, but I’d be shocked if they are known for being hard to keep in tune.

@darenager don’t you have a 100m? what say you?

1 Like

I have no clue :upside_down_face: I was just really interested in these modules cause the original 100m looks like a holy grail to me :slightly_smiling_face:
not convinced by the demos of the behringer modules yet

fwiw, Vince Clarke has six cabinets of them, and doesn’t mention anything about tuning. but he does for multiple other legendary synths he has in the his studio (including an E-mu modular and ARP 2500). can’t get much more “vintage synth connoisseur” than that.

3 Likes

“According to people who have never even seen one the Roland 100M VCO’s weren’t known for perfect tuning either”

Fixed.

Joking aside, they are known to be very stable, I have never had a single tuning issue with mine, or the Sys500 when I had that.

But then Rolands main objective was on sound quality and performance, Behringers is low cost.

“Be wary of someone offering champagne at lemonade prices, because you’ll probably be drinking their piss.”

2 Likes

But don’t take my word for it 4:10-4:50ish on this video:

1 Like

Might go for the 500 one day. Sound seems to be there in this one