Behringer 2600

Gray Meanie & Blue Marvin

1 Like

The word is that their is in fact a difference in parts when compared to the Xmas version. The resistors are changed out and are supposedly suppose to make the filter sound better.
This was on Bob Keeble’s FB
“An update…I did have input into the Blue Marvin version, in terms of sound quality but not the use of the spring reverb. Filter cap type and value tolerance does affect the sound, so using 1% PPS caps will sound better than 10% ceramic. You will hear the differences in the resonance response.”

4 Likes

I wonder if they’ll incorporate those component changes in newer rev versions of the standard? They did something similar with the RD8 I believe? Mines an early one and the rimshot is much louder than the claves. I’ve seen it in mentioned in a few places that newer models have had that addressed by changing some resistor values.

1 Like

One conclusion to make from this is the difference for cost to Behringer will be mainly in the spring reverb. The differential cost of a small number of capacitors, wouldn’t be huge.

I wonder if the digital reverb components are depopulated (meaning removed) from the Blue and Gray versions ? That might save a little cost to compensate. I bet they didn’t make another layout for the main board, that the capacitor changes are drop in substitutions, and the spring reverb is a separate assembly —perhaps there is even a internal plug connector already there ready to go.

2 Likes

This is a standard ECO (Engineering Change Order) sort of thing, as long as the parts are just dropped in. Otherwise you ECO the circuit board and the components, but revving the circuit board is a much bigger deal and would require a lot more testing. You do need to justify the costs with either.

Be aware that components with a larger tolerance, still tend to fall close to the specified value, the variation falls on a bell curve, so most components are close to value. The problems if they exist are with the small percentage of outliers.

1 Like

gotta be cheaper to make those blue/gray versions too; one color screen-printing versus two. and one led color in the sliders, versus 256 or whatever’s in the other ones.

2 Likes

:laughing:

Yeah i guess they need to keep ‘em all straight, or do they put them in at random ? (Making a joke.)

Apparently my Blue Marvin has shipped :o

2 Likes

Snap! Just got the text now!

1 Like

Who did you buy from?

Thomann. Ordered the day they were listed on their site.

Thomann on the day they became available.

Damnit. Stupid U.S. customs. I guess for some reason I need to wait till June as that’s the date Sweetwater quoted. Mind you, it was originally February. Glad for you two though.

I’m also waiting with Sweetwater — when is, when they get it, ‘cuz i ordered from them early too.

I don’t think it’s customs, i think it’s allocation by Behringer. Apparently not all “super” partners, are equally “super”. The other part of that is price — the Blue and Gray at SW is $100 more than the regular, while at Thomann they are all the same price (within $3 dollars). You do pay delivery with Thomann, so the Blue and Grey is about $75 less, and the regular about $25 more compared to Sweetwater.

I’ve talked to my sales rep, SW does have a price matching policy, but I haven’t invoked it yet. Perhaps we should just switch our order to Thomann ‘US’ instead. Even ordering now i bet the wait, won’t be any worse.

Hey Sweetwaer, Thomann is eating your lunch !

2 Likes

Tbh when I ordered mine I was expecting a June delivery too going off the estimated shipping date from Thomann. Maybe B got the first batch out faster than expected?

Now it says, „vorübergehend nicht lieferbar“, damn I shouldn’t have canceled my order…you probably got mine…:wink:

That’s the first I’ve heard. They’ve told me in the past that they don’t price match.

The delivery guy just brought mine. This thing is huuuge. Not sure if I have time to hook it up tonight as I need to finish mastering one song and can’t have no temptations!

1 Like

Quick question for any UK based Nauts regarding VAT/duty.

I searched for current rates of duty etc and found a site called simply duty which has a free calculator on it.

€455 was the purchase price and the calculator shows a zero rate of duty? Apparently this is part of the customs deal according to the info box on the form? VAT is £77 which looks about right (20% of €455 at the current exchange rate). Their calculator is quoting a total landed cost of £467? Is that correct? No duty to pay? It seems cheap to me given UK outlets are listing it closer to £650-£700

Edit. Just had a look on the gov.uk customs and tariff site and it seems the commodity code on the calculator was wrong. But… even with the correct code it’s saying all I’m liable for is VAT @20% plus a 2% ‘third country’ tariff.

FYI the gov site lists the commodity code for synthesisers as

1 Like

:crazy_face: