Behringer 2600

So now I’m thinking, I’d like to build/buy a rack for my 2600 so that it sits at a steeper angle (but not vertical), so it’s more convenient for me to use, and also takes less table space.

Any advice? seems like getting two pieces of wood cut the right angle could just do, screwing directly in the wood. Has anyone done that? Or, screwing rack mounts on pieces of wood…

If there’s a cheap ready made option I’m all for it. I say some on Etsy and they are around 90 euros, I find it expensive.

I’m in Europe, Berlin, for recommendations :slight_smile:

There used to be an older version of these Adam Hall stands, slightly less angled, which I liked better. I’ve got two of those and they’re pretty good. Not sure if the current ones still have the same quality.

1 Like

Yep

Happy with the layout too, same angle as the og and I can put my PSU on the wood which connects the two sides

5 Likes

I’m not sure if the LackRack is big enough for the B2600, but should give you some ideas.

You can also get various desktop racks from Amazon or your local IT supply shop. (Ideally second hand, IT/Office recyclers often sell high quality rack gear for peanuts.)

1 Like

Nice! I don’t have tools nor skills for cutting wood so I was thinking of going to the shop to get it cut, meaning that I’d go for a simpler design, just triangles.

2 Likes

You might also find my adventures with laser cutting interesting. TL;DR: Make measurements, create a design in Inkscape, go to your local makerspace for cutting. In my case, the public library has laser cutters and various grades of wood to cut.

(I do have basic shop skills, but my living situation precludes a proper workshop, so most of those skills are irrelevant to this project)

If you have access to a garage or alley way, then a battery powered (or even corded) driver/drill, a backsaw and miter box is about all you need for the vast majority of woodworking projects. It’s nice to have a folding table, but that could be a pair of sawhorses and a thick piece of plywood.

2 Likes

Nice! I don’t know any such shop in Berlin, only Baumarkt that sell would and have a wood shop but as far as I know they only cut simple angles.

I just searched for “berlin makerspace” and got a number of promising results. Find out what the correct German term is and you will probably get better and less expensive results.

Ah yes indeed, we have Fablab and others. I didn’t think in that direction. Thanks for pointing the obvious to me! :slight_smile:

1 Like

in fairness, it was only the keyboard controllers for later models of grey 2600’s and the black/orange ones that had the controls you’re referring to. that was keyboard model 3620. the earlier grey ones had the 3604P keyboard, which lacked most of these controls. and the very early ones (blue marvin + grey meanie) were even simpler.

from my understanding, the 3604p was used from 1971-75. and then from 1975-80 the 3620 was used. so the production run was split between the two. so I guess the lack of/simpler controls is more authentic, since it targets the first half of this. maybe…? but in reality, lots of owners of vintage 2600’s use a midi to cv converter and a modern midi keyboard instead of the controller anyway, because it tracks better than the keyboards did (I have had a 3620 sitting broken in my basement for 15 years). so the extra controls haven’t been 100% necessary for lots of users for several years.

regardless… the authenticity of any of these (Korg’s or B’s) is kind of a moot point, in my opinion. they revived a classic and tried to make the sound as close as possible to the original is all that’s important.

2 Likes

Mine is (temporarily) sitting on a large IKEA laptop stand, which gives the front panel a nice 45 degree incline, good for both viewing and hands-on patching.

1 Like

The K&M acoustic guitar stand will probably work too - it held my big Yamaha mixer for a while.

photos

The Yamaha MG12/4FX is 16" tall, so about 9RU. The B2600 should fit comfortably.

1 Like

For those who want a really cheap stand. This is my temporary solution. All you need is some wood, a saw and some screws.

5 Likes

Just be careful to not use wood that has been “treated” against insects/mold. Wooden pallets are usually treated with some pretty nasty stuff. Wood intended for outdoor use like decks or awnings is also often treated. You don’t want that stuff inside, and you don’t want to touch the wood and then have a snack with that same hand.

(the pictured wood looks like basic untreated wood :+1:)

1 Like

You left out “and a dream!”.

5 Likes

Good to know, thanks for the info. As you mention I think its untreated wood for indoor use.

1 Like

I use this on by On Stage, it angles back, is sturdy, $45.

1 Like

Thanks for the inspiration, I went a similar DIY approach, built a small table as well.

I plugged the 2600 for the first time to my speakers and am thrilled! It sounds so good, and is so fun to play!

Edit: cables are temporary, I need longer ones.

4 Likes

Glad that I could inspire, good job! Yeah, it sounds really good. The only thing I am missing with my Christmas tree is a real spring reverb.

2 Likes

I made this from a roadworx synth stand and rack rails. Just a few holes to drill, some extra screws and washers. It’s vertical (to save space) but could be done at an angle, too. Sorry for the bad photo.

3 Likes