Beginner dumdum questions

Maybe draw a chart which shows pitch in semitones up/down from C or count on the piano keys?
Do you have a midi controller? It helps me lots to have my AK sitting next to my OT so I can always use the AKs keyboard to quickly record something into OT (just set your midi controller to the midi channel that you have configured as autochannel on OT and you can always control the active track on OT).
You can ofc just use OTs chromatic mode, quickly record something in and if needed move or copy/paste the trigs to the right place. Now that it‘s possible to edit multiple trigs together, it‘s much faster to copy stuff around (Bless the update that brought us multi trig editing :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ).

1 Like

yes i’ll use a chart until i memorize it, there’s one on p137 of the latest manual. i do have midi keyboards, but i prefer to program in melodies unless the rhythms are too complicated.

1 Like

I mount sample on statick machine. It playing per pattern length and repeat - not full length of sample i use on track. How i can play sample of full their leight?

I’d use trig conditions.
1ST triggers the sample once (looped or not).
If the sample length match tempo you can also use A:B conditions.
1:2 trc suits twice longer samples for instance. (You can also use scale Per Track mode 1/2 in that case)

4 Likes

Don’t worry, you’ll get use to it. IMHO relative pitch makes more sense than wrong note transposition.

indeed i’m sure i will - it’s just a lot of adjustments to make - i was thinking that since i started on an elektron that i would just be like what i already knew but with more options, but there are a lot of differences in terms of executing the same functions. the challenge is rewarding until you get stuck and don’t understand the manual, but you guys being very here is extremely helpful!

Yes it you want to use lower range with rate (6 octaves lower pitch. 32, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1)

For me the most annoying thing is 1 octave up max (some workarounds with recorders resampling their own track, up to 64 octaves up is possible on 1 track :content:. That resampled pitch up and rate abilities can be usefull to make a sample chain with much higher pitch range, using slice grid)

oh boy, yes i’m already incredibly frustrated with this two octave range - i dont understand how $300 model samples has double the range of octatrack… i just need two more semitones down

i dont understand the workaround - you resample the trig?

8 octave range with Rate.

Track 1, Flex, assigned sample
Trig on step 1, pitch +12, rec trig on step 1 (SRC3=T1)
On other steps, you can play that recording with pitch +12, hence pitch +24 compared to original sample. Can be resampled again.

Can’t replace a wider pitch range of course.
For me the best solution is a sample with 64 chromatic notes. 5 octaves and 3 semitones + pitch + rate.

The resampling trick let you create sample chains (to be sliced) with higher pitch with only 1 recording pass.

ok i haven’t started recording samples yet, so this will be my first project to resample a trig up or down an octave… thanks for this important tip!

64 note samples is ok if you have short notes! by default i like to have a long held note so i can choose to play it short or long

Also possible with longer samples. I did it with a Rhodes sound (several samples).
Also possible with single cycle waves…

1 Like

interesting!

btw do you have any tips for the time stretch function not to garble sounds of single note samples? mostly i’ve been turning timestretch off for that because it’s hard to find the right “tempo” for it to be clean, but it’s important for samples which already have an LFO on them to keep it constant and not speeding up and slowing down

Appart from disable it, no! :content:
If it doesn’t work with normal mode, nothing you can do imho. I’d rather use neutral samples without lfos, or a software for that (keeping lfo tempo).

1 Like

Use a synth . Seriously.

1 Like

you’re right, i’m used to the M:S where you don’t have as much LFO control, there’s not reason not sample straight sounds with the OT

probably the smartest solution given all the MIDI power of OT, but sometimes you just want to work in one box

and especially for Pocket Operator sounds which I like to use, they’re not practical to control over MIDI (and I do have a specially made PO midi controller!) and it’s not always practical to recreate the cool effects.

i guess i’ll have to just turn it off if i can’t find the sweet spot “tempo”