Beginner dumdum questions

Would only make sense if you could set root note for each sample anyway.

Being the good Octaranian I am, I read it twice^^ Before I purchased my OT and then again when it arrived. :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

I appreciated that trig page with note pitch on AR or Digis, and I was surprised to be able to copy midi tracks to audio tracks or the opposite with Digitone (probably possible with Digitakt). Nice evolution.

OT works differently, inherited some Machinedrum great features, and caveats.
(Machinedrum UW MKII is OT’s parent).

1 Like

And again, and again, and again, until it sinks in. Then what happens is… clarity. The octatrack manual is a work of genius.

3 Likes

Linearly? :content:
I usually like to try to understand empirically a piece of gear before reading the manual, then read it.
With OT I had to go back and forth, to understand each aspect, as I didn’t understand everything after first manual reading!

Everything make sense in that manual, I find it logical and all answers are there indeed!

5 Likes

Of course I’ve read it many times, actually read a good chunk today. But in one sitting? Only twice so far.

I’ve read the manual in one sitting before I purchased my OT, because I wanted to get a good sense of how this machine will feel like when working with it - and then in one sitting again when it arrived, because I didn’t want little stupid things to hold me back…
Worked really well. No little stupid things, no ‘wtf moments’ everyone promised me, no false expectations etc. :slight_smile:

But then…I really enjoy reading Elektron manuals in general. :laughing:

Re: Sample pitch: I usually don’t bother much about tuning when playing with samples on OT, so pitch knob just becomes the ‘tune up or tune down knob’…
Single cycle waves are different and I tune my kickdrums…but except for those, I just play… by ear…and I love that OT encourages that! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This. Is the secret to octatrack.

And yep. I read bits of the manual still. Ive never read it cover to cover in one go. But I have read the entire thing. I still need reminders sometimes, or find a new thing that had not appreciated before. Octatrack, still learning after 6 years with it.

3 Likes

Ah sorry I meant cover to cover by linearly.
I’m not even sure if I read it entirely. I probably stopped after that : :content:

But I read a few posts on Elektronauts…

3 Likes

for me it’s not so much about tuning, but i like to program melodies and bass lines in grid mode rather than recording them live in chromatic mode, so i like knowing which relative note instead of calculating how many semitones, but i’m sure i’ll get used to it

Ha! Pick up machines… the one thing I never use in octatrack :wink:

1 Like

Obviously there’s a huge difference between both.

For Midi you give a digital info in an « absolute » fashion to a synth creating the sound.

For audio you have existing material. The OT should be able to detect the pitch of a sound and it’s already not so easy to detect a tempo but the pitch… in case of a chord with 5 notes, with 7 other instruments playing in the background… you have all kind of things on Internet claiming to give you chords from video and none of them is quite there.
In case of something not tuned on 440 it would be a mess (same for microtonal or not tempered music) and for naming it as well (F#4 and 0,64 cents…). The OT being used as a sound mangler, it does what it is designed for: modifying existing stuff (relative fashion).

3 Likes

One tip: +3 is third minor, +4 third major, +7 is the fifth and +12th the octave. You can get familiar with these semi tone gap numbers through the Midi tracks where they are mentioned in the SRC menu.
PS: in case of using the TSR Rate to change the pitch i am sure someone calculated the numbers in relation to the original pitch (i.e. 32=octave down, 48=the fith down, …).

6 Likes

makes sense, but weird that the model samples also made by elektron and also sample based does give you the option of relative pitch via letters - i dont use the letter system for concert pitches, just as a relative guide

ah good call on the ah good call on the SRC menu!
yeah 3rds and octaves i know, but 5ths 6ths etc i need to memorize

Not really. Designed by different people, 10 years apart, for a different target market, at a different price point, to achieve a different goal.

10 years ago Elektron vs current day Elektron, they are very different companies. Different visions.

4 Likes

So the Model:Samples can do pitch detection? How accurate is it? On chords?

Do you mean every sample is considered as C note and you can change from there?

Yes iirc C5 (C4 on OT), with additional pitch (+/-24 semitones max). So a C3 with pitch +24 is the same as root note.
(Originally on AR MKI. Usefull to tune synthesis and sample simultaneously).

no, not pitch detection - every sample is just assumed to be “C”. you have a knob for pitch where you can fine tune it in tenths of a semitone to C if you want or any other note (it has a two octave up and down range - total 4 octave range), and then you have a menu knob which will pitch it up by semitones named as note letters.

so it’s a relative not absolute C. it’s very useful for programming melodies and bass lines without having to calculate semitones.

btw, how do i quote the posts i’m replying to on this forum?

Select text > “Quote” promp, click on it.

Or click on the left icon (bubble in text menu)

? +/- 24 semitones max.

2 Likes

yes correct, sorry i made a typo, i meant to say 4 octave / 48 semitone range total, 2 up and 2 down

2 Likes