Beginner dumdum questions

I’m going from Model:Samples to Octatrack and am having some confusion. This is a really simple matter, but I can’t seem to find it in the manual, the merlin guide or videos…

In Model Samples if I want to shorten the length of a sample on one specific trig, I just hold the trig and then go through the regular process of shortening the sample length.

On Octatrack, if I do this (by going into the trim menu) it just changes the length of the sample on the whole track… what am I doing wrong? I see a control for sample start on the main track page, but not the end point so i can’t just tweak it with the knobs.

I know the answer is right in front of me, but I just don’t see it. Thanks

Leave the sample at full length. Use hold and release (on Amp page). Take hold right down and release at a low number to avoid a click.

9 Likes

PLock the LEN parameter to shorten the sample for a specific trig.

1 Like

Other methods are possible - it’s the OT after all - but this is my usual approach to shortening one instance

1 Like

For this you have to switch length on in playback setup first. It’s a coarser control and won’t control the release

6 Likes

Yep. Amp Hold (values in steps) and Release seems more appropriate.

Imho LEN is more useful with looped samples (LEN=Time mode) or with sliced samples (LEN=Slice mode, number of slices played)

6 Likes

ah, i was just going to say “this was the first thing i tried but…” now it makes sense!

thanks!

1 Like

ah good to know, well it’s good for me to familiarize myself with both methods to use when appropriate, thank you for the info to all!

2 Likes

ok, now another dumdum question - i know you can swing individual trigs as a parameter lock by turning a knob and moving the trig varying degress off grid, because I did it earlier… but I can’t remember where the control is!

I know you can select which notes to swing in the track by doing FUNC + BANK but i know i also did it as a parameter lock as well, but can’t remember how…

EDIT - NEVERMIND FOUND IT: for future readers, you hold the trig and push the right and left arrows.

1 Like

Also there’s dedicated swing trigs in the trig edit menu. If you hit function + edit on mki or the dedicated function shortcut on the mkii. This allows you to set swing level per track as well as what trigs are swung. Standard 1/8th notes are on as default but you can swap those or set sections that are “unswung” the possibilities get pretty wild pretty quickly.

4 Likes

How ia can delete project? Cant find in manual

6 Likes

Ah @Kpucski bravo !
I thought about File Manager, but this is a non obvious (to me) contextual menu I never think of (read about it concerning renaming).
I promised myself to read the manual entirely in a linear way! (consulted it a million times with search).

1 Like

I did that once :innocent:

1 Like

How old were you? :pl:

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

haha i decided i would read the manual from front to back and gave up after a few pages, it’s incomprehensible to me unless I already have used the functions i’m reading about at least once… and I at least have some knowledge from knowing model samples and cycles reasonably well and having read their manuals!

NEW QUESTION:

in model samples i can raise and lower individual trig notes in parameter locks from C to any other note (these are relative values, because C might not actually be a concert C). alternately i can raise or lower the pitch numbered in semitones via a different knob.

in Octatrack there is the Pitch option, which in Keyboard mode is divided into semitones and which i access by turning the left top knob in AMP page, but is there any option where you can change notes based on note letters instead of numbered semitones?

Audio pages= No.
Midi pages = Yes.

(The manual will tell you the same :wink: )

2 Likes

thanks - yes i saw that you can do it for midi pages, but i don’t understand why it’s available for midi but not for samples? (and i was hoping it would be somehow a hidden or new feature for samples)

Because it isnt. Thats just the way it is. Same as the compressor, loads of people complain about the values not relating to function in the usual compressor-speak terms.

But they just dont.

Yeah, you can play samples chromatically for melodies on the OT. Its just not very good at it. 2 octave range? No secondary fine tune knob? A rate knob that only goes down? OT is killer at lots of things, just not this. In my opinion.

1 Like