[BATTLE OF THE EXQUISITE CORPSE] Team Verses! (Stage 1) - Start the sample search!

You know, I want people to have fun.

I’ll let people call teams and randomize the rest.

It’s really not a big deal. Plus it’s kinda individual at first anyways.

1 Like

Plus it’s more about the music than the game.

1 Like

I’m good just being randomly chosen.

1 Like

Once everyone signs up, I’ll list everyone on the team and we can organize samples.

Everyone has to pick an element before we start the clock, I can list them right before we start.

As long as each producer uses all four elements in some way.

And there can be cooperation, or if you want to be a renegade and go off the rip, lone wolf style.

I’m hoping to really make this fun for the listener. The idea is that you hear two tracks, and your get a cool reveal when you find out which section belongs to whom.

1 Like

Cool!

You can be a wildcard to round out the teams!

1 Like

I’m down with random too

For clarification is the idea to make parts in isolation then see how they fit together, together?

I assume there would be some back and forth

2 Likes

I’m trying to understand how you envision this working.
Will we post a finished or in progress 4-8bar loop?
Will the collaboration be creating full instrumentation of the drums bass, etc?
Or will each person add one of those elements to a posted loop.
For example someone posts a break, or bass line, and the other team member fill in the gaps?
Maybe it organically comes together per teams?

3 Likes

I am wondering the same thing,

how much flexibility on reworking parts to suit the track if taken from raw ideas? Can you add other parts? Work out who does what with what you send them and remix eachothers layers back and forth? Or your section is yours like it was your instrument in the band?

1 Like

Good question!

I’m thinking it will go like this.

Form the teams and show the 4 elements.

Each teammate will use the four elements to make a 4 to 8 bar loop.

Then the team will take everyone’s loops and put them on one track together. Like a showcase, and the fun will be to see how well it comes out.

It could be a train wreck!

Or a beast of a track.

Or mixture of both.

That’s the fun part.

3 Likes

Ok, so you mean one section of the track horizontally, rather than verticaly

2 Likes

So an element could just be a favorite synth patch, not even looped, just an example?
Or possibly a rough break?

2 Likes

This is the fun part!

You can do all of that. You can cooperate as much as you’d like.

With four people, it’s a lot of moving pieces, so it’s going to be a bit messy.

I was going to suggest people work on individual loops for a couple weeks, then final mix a week after.

Whatever you like.

You can bring a missing element, or troll your teammates by bringing a loony tunes sound effect.

2 Likes

Got it!
This should be fun.
I’m going to keep it loose at first, but once the collaboration get’s underway I’ll most likely click over into hyper focus mode.

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing!

I know some will be all chilled out and just jam, and others will use their OCD superpowers to hyper produce.

I’m curious to hear them together to see the contrast.

1 Like

It reminds me of this event that used to happen a couple towns away called the Rock Lottery.
Musician’s pulled names form a hat, and worked out a set.
Then there was a show with all the bands.

Some of the best one off bands came from those events

1 Like

Great visual metaphor.

Yeah, everyone produces a loop from the four shared elements.

Then everyone stitched their loops together to make a track.

And the track should be a showcase (or cypher since your a hip hop head) of each individual loop, with some ear candy to smooth transitions.

Worst case scenario, we at least got two teams of three.

1 Like

If it’s starting in July then I’m up for it. Got some stuff I need to finish in June - including the DnB challenge!

This sounds a little bit like an audio ‘exquisite corpse’ that I’ve done with a mate previously where we just agreed a tempo and key/scale, then we each composed a stripped down song each with just 3 or 4 parts. After that we played them back together and it was surprising how well they kind of meshed together - had to do some editing to get it to work and we did agree beforehand who would do the bass and who would do the kick.

Anyway, this approach sounds fun too. Presumably once we know our teams we’d agree at least a tempo and key/scale for our elements so things don’t clash too much?

2 Likes

Seems cool. I’m in! :smiley:

2 Likes