Bass Station 2 vs Toraiz AS-1

Towards the general knob per function argument/discussion: for my experience level, I think this actually works against me still. As soon as I use a preset, or recall a saved patch, I can’t see what’s all going on. Sure, there are indicator lights on the BS2 and similar synths to show where to turn the knob towards the saved patch amount/level, but basically you’d have to go through all knobs via that system to have an overview of what’s happening. I’ve tried just working through this, because I just “should understand/learn this”, but in the end I enjoy it a lot more if I have a screen that indicates these parameter settings.

For someone still learning, there’s an argument to be made that that’s a great way to learn, because you can still patch everything instead of preset browsing, but you feel less lost with all the instant visual feedback. That’s why I love my Digitone. Learn a lot from others peoples patches, being able to immediately see all the parameter setting one menu screen at a time. Plus it’s a very gratifying thing to put a lot of hours in a patch you make and then being able to save and reuse it hassle free. Just to say, in response to the oversimplified “just go modular and learn it by heart”.

I totally understand!! And I’ll be honest with you, the A4 was my third synth I got (after two very straight forward Dreadbox mono synths) and at first I struggled to get a good sound out of it as I described above. Not sure if I would have held on to it if it would have been my first.

So definitely it can be overwhelming at first, especially because it is not one knob per function.

That said, I’ve designed some pad sounds using only a fraction of the tools available on the A4 (I call my favorite one “Near Jupiter” because it starts off far away but gets beautifully expansive, front and centre and yet somehow remains spherical through the internal reverb :)).

But you do have to approach the A4’s capabilities with confidence to not get lost in them.

My first hardware synth was a Dreadbox Erebus and in a way that thing was (and still is :)) perfect as a first synth, because it has such a basic, simple structure but still can produce really nice and diverse sounds (and it’s one big sweet spot effectively).

So with the Erebus I learned and internalised the basics in a way that gave me the confidence to approach the A4 as someone who knows what he wants from it (and believes to know how to get it…even if that’s not really true lol).

I still don’t use all functionality on my A4 (eg I don’t do any FM synthesis, I only occaisonally use more than one modulation envelope or LFO etc) and yet I’m already getting my money’s worth many times over.

Now the AS-1 looks cool and having a prophet 6 voice at that price is ludicrous! BUT, the UI is not exactly awesome. I feel for a synth to be more than just a preset machine, I need to see the knobs and functions and make quick moves and decisions on the fly for me to use its full potential. I understand it can be midi mapped, but I find that sub-optimal most of the time. Then the question comes up: why this and not eg U-he Diva?

Still, in Germany the AS1 goes for 300-350€ used, so I too am contemplating one. At that price it’s not a huge risk to take :slight_smile:

1 Like

i can understand your situation. I was in a similar a few years ago.

well if you dont want to loose the patches, just backup them to a pc. there is a patch editor for the bs2 available.

what happened to me when i suddenly had a synth with a few hundred slots, i forgot where i saved the sounds. and searching for the right slot just broke my creative process.

so i switched to modular. i still have synths with preset slots, but i barely use the slots. i dial in new sounds every time so it fits the song. youll get quicker at this and its more easy to remember the settings than slot numbers (well at least for subtractive and additive synthesis). if i need to recall something, i just record it in a sampler or daw.

one tip if youre looking for something with snappy envelopes is the doepfer dark energy. but if you werent happy with dfam (which i bought two of them because it sounds so incredible) this might not your cup of tea.

I would be curious, if youll switch from bs2 to as1 if youre still happy with your decision a few weeks later :grinning:

1 Like

I think you’ll find that even more of an issue with the AS1 When you jump between patches. You’ll be endlessly scrolling through the menu trying to compare settings between patches unless you know or have a good idea of the parameter you specifically want to adjust. With the A4 multiply that by 10! Especially once you get into patches with parameter locking.

Without meaning to sound harsh you could do with spending some time on the BS starting from a default patch and really getting to grips with the controls and their interaction. It’ll stand you in good stead as you’ll stand more of a chance when going to something like the AS1. (Or anything else for that matter). The principles of synthesis aren’t that hard to get your head around and once you start you’ll be creating your own presets in no time. It’s a step most folks take and once you do it you’ll never look back. Those same principles can then be transposed over to whichever synth you want to integrate into your rig. Start with baby steps, one oscillator, and go from there. You’ll be surprised how easy you’ll pick it up and the BS 2 is such a great synth to learn on too.

3 Likes

Definitely a classic and that keyboard is a non-negligible extra over the discussed alternatives. @lesstalkmoredisco you already have a bunch of hi-q fx boxes so that advantage of the as1 is easily made up for.

2 Likes

If really in need of a mono with fx then this looks like an awesome contender though:

1 Like

More than non-negligible. It’s a really great controller keybed–great synth action, velocity-sensitive, polyphonic, channel/mono aftertouch (that works pretty well–which sounds like faint praise unless you’ve tried a bunch of keyboards with aftertouch). I use it all the time to control other synths. (I can’t speak to the AS-1, but I’m never selling my BS2. Sounds great, awesome keyboard, every now and then Novation is like “hey what if we drop AFX mode or paraphony into this product that’s closer to a decade old than it is to its release, unlike pretty much every company.”)

3 Likes

No worries, I come here for the enjoyment of the conversation and to learn, so constructive feedback is much appreciated.

I‘m actually here at the moment on a few days holiday (close by home) and sparked by this thread I’m enjoying most of my time here by the campfire sitting reading about synthesis. Started with reading the AS-1 and A4 manuals to read up on their specs, but ended up (re)reading both the A4’s and Digitone appendix tutorials/explanations about the basics of synthesis and FM. (Plus playing around with the Moog Model D app that I got free recently via the “perennial deals” thread hahaha)

1 Like

And this is good to know, I think workflow and a good overview of parameters is really important to me.

1 Like

Haha it’s actually really nice to have someone already know my gear here on EN:) Thanks @dtr for the input

I have/had have both. The bass station 2 is more immediate, great for acid tones. but I ended up reaching for the AS-1 way more often. the AS-1 is a single voice prophet 6, and ends up covering a-lot of very familiar territory very quickly. As for the Bass Station 2, I agree that it ACIIIDs, but i have a bunch of synths that kinda do that already so I sold it.

As far a bass synths go, the AS-1 is arguable the best “Bass” synth under $800. (It also has the same midi implementation as the Prophet 6 if anyone s curious, any editors that work with the prophet 6 will likely work with the AS-1)

3 Likes

I second the Analog Four recommendation. I’ve gone through a LOT of synths in my day but the A4 and AS-1 will continue to be permanent fixtures in my setup.

Personally if I were in your situation I would find a good deal on an AS-1 and try it out, and if it works better for you sell the BS2 to help fund an A4. The sounds of these two augment each other very well, i.e. the AS-1 can make certain sounds better than the A4 and vice versa. But both are solid, quality synths.

3 Likes

I should have said, “only get a mk1 A4”. But hey, what the hell. I got both my AS-1’s for under AU$500 during sales.

1 Like

Be aware that the A4 does not give you the sounds of a BS2.

Viewed purely as a sound source, the A4 is more of an alternative (which you may or may not prefer) than a replacement.

1 Like

What I think I’m realizing through this thread is the value of workflow. It really sounds like the AS-1 for example is a gréat sounding synth, if that’s what you’re looking for. But maybe not for me right now. For the A4 va BS2, I’ve got time, so I’ll see what happens. Will pull the BS2 out again and give it another few goes:)

And if I make something nice on it, I’ll probably sample it into the OT. That way I know it’s stored, and when I’ll want to play a set for friends at a party or something I won’t be bringing the BS2 anyway in my backpack.

2 Likes

probably the wisest conclusion

2 Likes

Blimey, you must get good exercise doing squats to tweak the mix wizard below knee height

1 Like

The little guy in my profile pic is my studio engineer:)

4 Likes

Got an as-1 the other day, it’s great and on clearance for 500NZD from the rockshop… https://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/pioneer-dj-toraiz-as-1-desktop-monophonic-analogue-synthesizer-dave-smith-instruments.html

1 Like

Hi all!

I thought I’d report back, after all the advise given here. And maybe someone later can be helped from reading this here.

I snatched up a really good priced A4.

I can say I really couldn’t be happier with it. I already had listened to a lot of sound examples of it, and indeed it sounds great - plus very versatile - and also especially workflow wise I’m gelling with it enormously.

First of all, the fact that I can just mirror my workflow from my other Elektron boxes helps me a lot.

Second, the way all parameters are bundled in the different menus helps a lot to get a better overview, instead of everything at once.

I really like how the kits function. I can make slight alterations, and save them. Or I can stick with the same or a previous kit to keep the same sound that I changed during a song, similar to OT’s Parts. It’s sort of the best of both worlds: being able to store separate versions of sounds per Pattern in kits, like DT and DN save all parameters per Pattern, but also having the ability to morph sounds during a song throughout different patterns, like with OT’s parts.

In the end one post from a few years back that really helpt me in my decision, and that I fully experience the same, is this post by @tdmusic in which he said a lot of things that resonated with me, especially:

I’ll be saying goodbye to the BS2 (and an expensive effects pedal that was overqualified for my needs) to fund the A4. But I feel it’s a perfect decision. I’ve done more patches from scratch on the A4 during the last few days then I ever did on any piece of gear. Exactly what I was hoping to get this for.

Only the Poly settings and the Arp are still a bit of a mystery to me. In that regard, to me, the Digitone makes more sense automatically, the way DN automatically allocates its voices. But hey, it has 4 more so that is a bit of an unfair comparison. Plus I started this thread looking for a Mono synth, so in that function the A4 offers already three bonus mono voices more then I asked for:)

Thanks for all your advices, including suggesting the A4. I don’t know if I would’ve went for the A4 otherwise but I think it’s the perfect fit for what I was looking for!

6 Likes