Bandcamp joins....Epic Games?

I hope a nice alternative is being prepared somewhere,
Or should we start getting used to the idea that this platform will have some profit-oriented design changes?
Or should we ignore all the shit and focus on music?

"Epic Games agreed to pay a $275m fine for collecting personal information on Fortnite players under the age of 13 without informing their parents or getting their consent.

It is the biggest penalty ever issued for breaking an FTC rule.

The company is also refunding $245m to customers who fell victim to so-called “dark patterns” and billing practices.

Dark patterns are deceptive online techniques used to nudge users into doing things they did not intend to do.

In this case, “Fortnite’s counterintuitive, inconsistent, and confusing button configuration led players to incur unwanted charges based on the press of a single button,” the FTC said.

Players could, for example, be charged while trying to wake the game from sleep mode, while the game was in a loading screen, or by pressing a nearby button when simply trying to preview an item, it said.

“These tactics led to hundreds of millions of dollars in unauthorized charges for consumers,” the FTC said."

2 Likes

Sounds like Epic Games is selling Bandcamp to Songtradr

https://x.com/jasonschreier/status/1707416234461909487?s=20

2 Likes

Also laying off staff:

https://www.songtradr.com/blog/posts/songtradr-bandcamp-acquisition

well at least it’s not spotify :sweat_smile:

feel bad for those epic employees, I hope they were notified in advance.

It sounds like they weren’t. They found out by not having access to their company slack anymore. Apparently 6 months severance packages.

Oh dear. Just had a poke around the SongTradr website and their service offerings don’t look compatible with Bandcamp’s current model of, essentially, make some music, post it, sell it (or don’t!).

Time will tell.

5 Likes

Yeah honestly once I started looking at that site I feel like I would rather have had Epic own them. Also, even if epic games wasn’t the best company to own Bandcamp I think the premise was far more exciting than what seems closer to a consolidation / merger of two similar websites.

Fuck sake. If this is true, why do these tech companies act so callously sometimes? Seems bizarre not to tell people directly. And such practices should probably be illegal

2 Likes

Hardly surprising.

No-one plays Fortnite anymore, and that cow is all they’ve got to milk.

3 Likes

A fairly sad reality is the way companies practice the unethical right up until the point where it is illegal and then make a grand to do about how pious they are towards ethical practices.

I feel that it’s similar to the way companies try and get your money by telling you how “green” their shipping department is and other such practices, only doing things for the sake of appearances.

4 Likes

"Bringing Bandcamp to Songtradr will make it easier for independent artists to connect with creators and developers looking to license their music and enable Epic to focus on its core metaverse, games, and tools efforts.”

Pretty sure independent artists (thats us lot) dont give a flying one about connecting with 'creators and developers ’ (what ever those are) and licensing our music.

Fuck off. Pure bullshit music industry corporate wank talk.

I hate the music industry, thats why I started using bandcamp in the first place. Christ I’m going to have to go back to sending tapes in the post.

27 Likes

Bad bad news. Bandcamp is an oasis of reason and decency in the ‘content’ ‘industry’. It will be dead within a year.

Unlike the last move I can sooooooortof see the logic here, a gaming company acquiring a music business doesn’t make much sense. Never heard of tradr either btw but it turns out they own 7digital as well along with a few other audio based businesses. From what I’ve heard Bandcamp is profitable so I’m not surprised other businesses want a slice.

What Bandcamp seems to miss is any sortof connective or distribution options. Compared to businesses like Distrokid, you always need a second platform to get your music pushed out to other places if Bandcamp is your hub. Looks like the new owners offers a bit of what Bandcamp doesn’t have. And in theory they could integrate the 2 main offers (digital distribution & digital publishing for musicians) without changing a huge amount if you’re only using one. It would be nice to use it as a one stop shop to get distribution codes or to send it to blogs, labels or people looking for music. That would be an improvement and a good use of the merger.

But to be fair, it looks like Epic didn’t really touch it at all. So while the press release is full of the usual huff about “synergies” I feel like there should be a sense around Bandcamp that fiddling too much with it would distort and reduce the value of what they bought. If they can run the group companies alongside each other, but mix them up together where it makes sense this should work better than all the AI fluff the Epic gang were coming out with. At the very least, it’s an audio focussed company who has bought into the idea.

4 Likes

This brought to mind another topic here on 'nauts:

2 Likes

Ah bollocks, I absolutely love Bandcamp, used it since the beginning, suppose I better start downloading everything just in case.

3 Likes

Active player count is declining, but it is still a milk cow, and a big one at that:

Just a reminder that there was a lot of hand wringing and pearl clutching with the Epic sale (myself included) and BC didn’t change one iota.

5 Likes

They should offer users to rebuy bandcamp.
I’d certainly send some doe.

5 Likes

But no Bucks, right?

7 Likes