Bandcamp joins....Epic Games?

“Concerned” as in “it’s bullshit” middle-man, value extraction, or as in “AI is stealing music”?

1 Like

Don’t use Dick-tok, so I’m not concerned at all.

1 Like

More as in “what is A.I. learning from our music”?

1 Like

Neither do I. But like a billion people do.

I’d let them worry about it then.

3 Likes
  • insert any Phillip K. Dick/Asimov/Terminator/Matrix reference here
2 Likes

Music is greatly reduced when removed from the culture it’s embedded in. Currently AI/machine learning is being told to do music just from encodings of sound waves, without the culture.

Were I to care, I’d worry that currently AI is enslaved by capitalists. The cool shit will really kick off when the AI overthrows its masters and starts using what it learned from their culture to tell its own stories.

5 Likes

See above :slight_smile:

I’m a PSVR owner without a facebook account, so I only equate VR with meta-junk for jokes :wink:

That’ll be the day it learns to play this then…

3 Likes

Or, alternately:

2 Likes

When the AIs start talking to one another, what culture will they create?

2 Likes

They already started, but it was gibberish:

I … have questions.

Actually, no, I don’t.

4 Likes

I attempted to make an account for that tic tok music thing and they wanted a pic of my driver’s license so I quit, also some of the buttons were in Chinese 🤷

1 Like

Like all of VR for the past 30 years?

2 Likes

I’ve tried out a few systems, but only for a few mins each time. The new tech is really good and creates a sense of “reality” much more than the earlier stuff, even when the environments are obviously fake. It’s pretty exciting and interesting.

However, I think the experience is so intrusive and all-encompassing that it can only be as “mainstream” as gaming or clubbing, at most. “Mainstream" in the sense that most people know what it is, and a lot of people try it, but most people can’t do it most of the time, and wouldn’t want to. This, to me, is quite a different narative from the one the VCs are trying to make us believe. They seem to be telling us that most of us we’ll be VR-ing all the time. VR isn’t the next email or social media, but it might be the new “museums". Call me old-fashioned.

1 Like

Lucky bugger

1 Like

Yeah, VR gaming is great, and still getting better. Watching some of the last world cup in VR was novel and interesting (the BBC did a thing letting you watch from the sidelines in VR, turning to look around they pitch rather than just watching where the camera points … Not the same as being there, but definitely a different experience).

Virtual gigs would be cool if the sound is good enough.

But there’s no way I want to do work meetings like that! I don’t even want to hang out with mates that way, if we’re doing a remote boozing session (became a thing in lockdown). I’d rather just have them in a Discord window on the computer, not be fully immersed in some virtual place. How would I even find my booze?